4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Booking.com Orbitz.com Hotels.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 39% less than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about Le Meridien Ile Maurice

Great hotel with lovely surroundings

by sierralyndon about Le Meridien Ile Maurice

This is a very large resort and not at all your cosy little hideaway. You have all the facilities you'd expect for a 5 star hotel. We were upgraded to the Nirvana Wing (block reserved for adults only, quiet area with own pool, restaurant and stretch of beach) upon arrival.

We didn't quite expect the water to be so cold (we were there in winter), hence skipped many of the water activities and hardly went into the sea or pool more than a couple of times. But it was great sun-bathing weather nonetheless.

Restaurants (4 in total) were very nice and the food very good. I really like Indian-based cooking so our week there was excellent. Service was efficient overall, but waiting staff sometimes tried too hard to be friendly and chatty (on a few occasions I just wanted to tell this particular waitress to stop asking questions and leave us alone to eat). We went full board which was a good thing seeing how we had all but 2 meals out of the hotel.

I'd come back to this hotel if we're back in Mauritius.

Fantastic hotel - great for weddings too!

by TripAdvisor Member cloipoi

I am a bit shocked by the bad reviews this hotel seems to be getting of late....
I have just com e back from 2 weeks at Le Meridien Ile Maurice and it was AMAZING!!!!
We went there for our wedding and honeymoon, and back In January I was checking out dozens of hotel reviews in Mauritius and eventually put my faith in Le Meridien based on the amazing reveiws it had on Tripadvisor!!
IT WAS BRILLIANT!
The place is exactly like the pictures you will find on Le Meridien's website, no clever photography going on at all!
It's a 4 star hotel but with 5 star staff. They treat you like gods there and we never tipped anyone apart from the porter, so it's not like they were being nice just for the money....
They never said NO to anything we asked (and we did push our luck a few times!), they were just soooo friendly and helpful.
We stayed in the Nirvana wing, which is the newer and more exlusive part but our relatives all stayed in the normal rooms and they were amazed at the luxury there, given that they had the cheapest rooms. They all had sea-view rooms with balconies, and the rooms were just fantastically posh!
Yes it is an expensive hotel, if you have the option, go all inlusive! A bottle of wine is about £20 and a beer is £3... a coke is £2 and a burger for lunch is £8.
Insanely overpiced but so are all hotels! So, go all inclusive if you can (we didn't as we had relatives from Australia who couldn't get an AI deal and we thought it might lead to a bit of weirdness when having drinks with dinner, so we all went Half Board - we probably paid an extra £30 a day per person in lunch and drinks....) Not the end of the world either....
This hotel is huge, but really spread out, you don't have to compete for a space on the beach or for a sun lounger.... you don't have to wait in line for dinner, there are 4 restaurants to choose from, the buffet one changes its menu to a different theme every night e.g. Chinese, American, Mediteranean etc. Food is great!
There are 4 bars as well, if you stay here for a week or 10 days, you can quite easily alternate between each place and never get bored... one of the bars has a themed music thing going on each day, we had Dixieland, African music, Bollywood... all sorts and it's great to watch or as background entertainment... everything is clean at this hotel, they change your bed sheets every day and they give you fresh towels in the morning but ALSO another fresh set while you're at dinner - and they turn the bed back for you!!
Service wise - this hotel is faultless....
There is loads to do at this hotel, glass bottom boat, snorkelling trips, kayaking, sailing, pedalos, waterskiing - all free!!
The wedding itself was great too - not cheesy or tacky at all.
We were thrilled with our hotel choice and all our guests felt they had had the luxury holiday of a lifetime - I just cannot recommend this hotel enough!!!!!
We always stay in 4 star hotels, and we couldn't quite afford one of the 5 star ones on the island but Le Meridien FELT like it was the best we could have got - absolutely perfect!!!

Fantastic Hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member Ellie36

A fantastic hotel. From the minute we arrived nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff and within a couple of days the waiting staff knew our names and our room number.

The food is excellent - we didn't have cause to moan or compalin once. The wine list leaves a little to be desired and is expensive for the quality of wine you buy but this is far outweighed by the standard of food that is included in the half board option.

The accomodation is brilliant with all rooms having an ocean view. The sand is clean and the beach friendly - there are sellers but they too are extremely polite and respect privacy! Access to all of the watersports was easy - no booking in advance was necessary as there is plenty of equipment. The staff on the beach are also very keen for you to learn how to water ski / wind surf properly.

We have a 4 year old son who was one of the only English speaking kids in the resort and the ladies in the Penguin Club did what they could to include him in everything and make him feel at home. Which he did! It was hard sometimes to get him out of the Penguin Club and I don't think it is advertised as much as it should be on the Meridien web page. The activites that they do range from shell hunting to learning how to wind surf and water ski! All of the staff deserve a mention - Shirely, Karen, Cindy and Mag thank you all very much.

The Penguin Club is open until 9.45 pm but, although the during the day it is always open, the club is only open from 6.00pm if you book in advance. This is a nuisance as sometimes kids don't understand the concept of anticipation and we were caught short a few times when our son decided at 6.30pm he wanted to go to Penguin Club only for us to be told that because we hadn't let them know the staff would be going home.

A fantastic holiday and a fantastic hotel and one we shall be gonig back to again (this was our second visit but our first with our little boy).

Breathtaking experience

by TripAdvisor Member desaiha1

One of the best hotels, we have stayed, with excellent service and great choice of restaurants to eat at. We were there for our honeymoon for a period of 5 days and we got to eat a wonderful variety of food everyday. The staff was extremely courteous and helpful. They went out of their way to make arrangements for us.
To begin with they helped us with our room, our luggage, guiding us to the wonderful places and things to do around mauritius.
Also the staff went out of our way to arrange a special honeymoon candle light dinner for us. Helped us get a reservation at the amazing french restaurant.
It was a wonderful experience overall and we would absolutely love to go back there.
Just a small tip for people travelling to India: Try and arrange the package tour from India, and also keep an eye out for the breakfast, they sure do have some real good indian dishes for the breakfast.

Most enjoyable experience

by TripAdvisor Member VietnameseNoodles

This hotel was top class from start to finish. It was one of the most enjoyable holidays I have had.

The rooms in the Nirvana area were beautiful, perfectly maintained and had perfect views of the pool and ocean. The pool area was brand new and one of the nicest I have seen. The beach isnt the best but the main beach is nice enough to relax and have a swim.

The service was amazing from the minute we got there. They couldnt do enough for us and were friendly every time.

The food was good, not fantastic but its not a first world country with high profile chefs. A holiday for me is not about eating food I can get at home.

The activities like snorkelling and waterskiing are free and its no trouble at all to participate. The equipment was very well maintained. The reef where we went snorkelling was almost as good as the best Ive seen all over the world.

The location is good. We hired a scooter and rode to picture perfect beaches along the north coast.

We went there for our honeymoon and the hotel and Mauritius lived up to every one of our expectations. Overall, it was one of the best holidays I have had.

If you like good food: Avoid

The prices for the food at this hotel are among some of the highest you will encounter at hotels anywhere in the world - and I'm including Tokyo in that calculation. If you're not on full board, expect to budget your nightly room charge again for meals. It is also some of the worst quality food you will encounter anywhere in the world - it's not just average, it's frequently inedible. And when you send back plates of barely-touched food, you'll be lucky to get any kind of professionalism from the staff in response. Bill reduction? Forget it. A shrug and a 'sorry' were the most we got.

Given the fact that this hotel is miles from any alternative restaurants, the dread of mealtimes is enough to seriously blight your holiday. When you do invest in taxi rides to venture outside the hotel, you'll realise that Mauritius does produce some excellent chefs, but the Meridien has chosen not to pay for them.

Like many of the reviews written on this site - I'd agree this hotel is a beautiful shell. But professional management is notable by its absence.

Excellent hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Giverny

Just got back from a lovely 2 weeks at Le Meridien.
Not one to write loads so will just say it's a 4 star hotel giving a 5 star service. Agree with all the comments already made in the positive reviews and disagree with all the negative views!
My only 'negative' comment would be that it has a large conference centre so you do get large groups and there were occasions when you felt as if they took preference - Shells restaurant booked out for them, meal on beach which went on until 11pm outside near our rooms.
Sometimes felt as if a guest of the Kumars at No 42 when the groups were around!!
Apart from that, excellent hotel and very kind staff.

Caudan Waterfront in Port Louis / MauritiusCaudan Waterfront in Port Louis / Mauritius

my cruiseship is in the backgroundmy cruiseship is in the background

The mosque of Port Louis / MauritiusThe mosque of Port Louis / Mauritius

want to balance over 3 boats to exit ??want to balance over 3 boats to exit ??

Honeymoon exploring

by fionagold

Hi,

Me and my fiance are going to Mauritius for one week beginning May 18th this year and are staying at Le meridien ile maurice.

My fiance and I love exploring nature and beautiful places like waterfalls/landscapes/stunning views/nature - any recommendations?

The 18th is also my birthday and I am wheat and gluten free - we would love to go for a special meal at an amazing restaurant - we both love all food! I've heard about a couple of restaurants in other hotels but was wondering what others recommend from personal experience.

Also how much approximately do we need to take with us for spending money? We are on a half board basis.

Look forward to answers.

Fiona x

Re: Honeymoon exploring

by yussufay

Hi Fiona,

You don't have to worry about the food... They do have the food with gluten & wheat free. You may ask the chef there and they would prepare something for you.

Exploring nature is a good thing in Mauritius... some places are really full of green forest... You may choose to visit the South of Mauritius as there are some waterfalls there.

I have upload some pics in my profile. Just see them.

There is place called vallée des couleurs in the South... There are two waterfalls extraordinary there... If u go there just take your time to admire the falls.

Wish u a nice stay in our island.

May God bless you and your husband.

Hotel good SWIMMING beaches

by loukin

Hello all,

I know Mauritius is lovely, my question is that I love to swim in the sea. I've heard that from a lot of the hotel beaches 'swimming' is not great because of the close coral and very shallow waters.

Any beaches where the water is deeper going out from the beach so one can actually SWIM and not just WADE out to hip height etc. I don't mind the coral and wearing shoes, just want deep water close to the beach if possible.

Possible hotels could be Le Preskil, Ambre, Sugar Beach, La Plantation, Le Meridien Ile Maurice in my price range.

Anything at all jump out at you.....or else should I look at East , North, South or West for better SWIMMING areas.

Many thanks, take care all!

Re: Hotel good SWIMMING beaches

by cassis

Hotel Beaches are very good but most hotels offer water sports such as water-ski and as such the deeper water swimming may not always be easy. However there is a good public beach at Pereybere in the North of Island about 2 miles north of the Grand bay area which is Coral free and has fairly deep swimming water very close to the beach

Re: Re: Hotel good SWIMMING beaches

by loukin

Thanks so much - sound good and I will certainly make my way there, make sure I stay in that area. Great tip - much appreciated!!

Take Care

Mauritius info from a local!

by LocalMauritian

Hello "Loukin",
I can help you with your questions if you just let me know that you
are still reading these messages. Email me on my address ilemaurice21.
This is a yahoo.com address by the way ;)
Or you can call me, I live on Mauritius.Ph. +230.450.5437
Véronique

RE: Hotel good SWIMMING beaches

by Joey_

Hi,
I'd recommand you the Trou aux Biches Hotel in Trou aux Biches.
Beach is just as you want it and probably the nicest you'll find on the Island.
Same rate range than Meridien (Plantation seems to have burned recently)
Phone (230) 204 65 65 - Ask for Fatima if you book from Laurence Bordeaux, she'll surely welcome you great.

Have a nice trip