Choisy Rd, Poste De Flacq, Mauritius

Costs 44% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• janiebaxter's Profile Photo

Luxury in a Stunning Location

Overview
    Constance Le Prince Maurice is a 5 star luxury hotel set in 60 hectares of gardens, beach and mangrove reserve. It is 45 km from the airport and 35 km from Port Louis.
    It is named after Prince Maurice of Orange and of Nassau who pioneered the discovery of spices and particularly nutmeg – which is the hotel's logo.
    Rooms
    Our room was on stilts with a balcony overlooking the fish reserve, accessed by a wooden walkway through the mangrove trees. The room itself was lovely – very spacious and beautifully furnished with a huge comfy bed and everything you would expect from this standard of hotel, including a mac with internet connection and a wide screen TV/monitor.
    The bathroom was really good with a separate big walk in shower, 2 basins and a very big, deep bath as well as plenty of mirrors and lots of storage space.

The location too was lovely. You approach down a very long driveway with palm trees and agricultural land on each side of the drive. The pool and restaurant face the beach and the sea. To the right is the main beach leading around the small headland and to reef. To the left is the mangrove reserve, my favourite bit! This area had wooden walkways over the mangroves leading to Le Barachois restaurant and to the rooms over the reserve. Here we would see many beautiful birds and watch all the fish in the water below.
    Facilities -
    Spa
    Fitness Centre
    Tennis Courts
    Golf
    Free Watersports –
    The hotel boat leaves at 2pm every day for a snorkelling trip to the reef, which is about 10 to 15 minutes away. They provide snorkels, masks, fins, towels and water. We went most days as we really enjoyed it. The same boat goes out for a glass bottom boat trip every morning.
    Kayaks can be taken out from the hotel, either into the sea or the permitted area of the mangroves.
    Waterskiing
    Windsurfing
    Pedalos

The beach is good – not the best I have been to but very nice, and of course swept and cleaned every morning. The swimming area is roped so boats cannot enter but can be a bit too shallow at low tide. Sunbeds are on the beach, with thatched shades and water is complimentary on the beach. They also bring round fruit and cold flannels for refreshment frequently throughout the day. The pool area is not as good as the baech. The pool itself is fine but we found the service not so good at the pool and there are not enough sunbeds.
    There are boutiques, a library and business centre and the concierges can organise trips and taxis but we did not find them very informative about trips so we organised our own.
    There are 2 restaurants which I will cover in separate tips – Le Barachois and L’Archipel and 2 hotel bars as well as a fitness bar. We mostly used the lounge bar for pre-dinner drinks which was very nice and comfortable with good service and a good, if expensive, cocktail menu.

Unique Quality: I particularly liked the way the hotel is very open. All the restaurants and public areas have open sides to let the breeze through so no need for the awful A.C.
    What really made this hotel special for me was the mangrove reserve - walking to Le Barachois restaurant in the evening over the walkway, seeing all the lovely birds and passing the lagoons with all the fish swimming around and kayaking along the mangroves in late afternoon. Truly a stunning location.

Directions: 45km from Port Louis

More about Le Prince Maurice

Beautiful Hotel, Service and Food Below Expectations

by TripAdvisor Member VeryFrequentTraveler

Le Prince Maurice is a beautiful hotel located on a beautiful island. My husband and I went there in September 2006 for our honeymoon, after a week in South Africa on safari staying at the Singita. We had very high expectations for this hotel and it was beautiful on several levels and disappointing on others. The accomodations were great. We stayed for 3 nights in the junior suite on stilts and then for 4 nights in the senior suite situated right on the beach with a pool. The rooms were clean and luxurious. The first few days of our stay was a bit cloudy but then it was all blue skies for the rest of our stay and we found out how hot it gets when it is not cloudy! We took full advantage of the water sports that the hotel offered and we even got certified in scuba diving! The water is so clear, calm and was quite warm. Our disappointments lied in the quality and consistency of the service and the quality of the food.
Given that we were paying a lot, we expected for both of these would be close to perfect. Unfortunately, the service was very spotty. Sometimes the room service guys would put towels out on our lounge chairs and sometimes they didn't. The beach boys were similar in the sense that it was often hard to find them (since our suite was not located in the center of the beach). They are really supposed to deliver water to the guests all day long but instead we found that we only got water when we went to find the beach boys and ask them for it. Sometimes the whole day would pass without them coming to check on us. Then, there was one incident where we were given a "in person wake up call" by someone knocking on our door at 6:45 am! We later asked the hotel about that and they couldn't explain who had done this. On another morning, we went out on our balcony for breakfast to find a bleeding pigeon. The bird wasn't able to fly away by itself. We showed the bird to the room service guys when they delivered our breakfast and they said they would immediately go report this to the staff. Instead, no one came and we were left to eat our breakfast next to the bleeding animal. This was quite surprising to us since we are used to staying in nice hotels with great service. A year ago we went to the Bali Four Seasons and there was a little frog that came into our room. We called the front desk and they had someone knocking on our door in 2 minutes to remove the animal! So, we were quite disappointed when we received the service that we did at The Prince Maurice. Also, the food is not up to par at all. The food at the floating restaurant is the best however it is not possible to eat there every night without getting bored! The table service in the main restaurant was horrible as well. One one night, I asked for water from 4 different people over the course of 45 minutes before it was finally delivered to us by the sommelier! There was a main manager in the restaurant but he seemed so caught up with watching all the servers that he was not watching the reactions of the guests. He should have been walking around to check with the guests how their evening was going but he did not do this once. If he had, he would have realized that several people were unhappy.

It was a suprise that the food and service at the main restaurant was not better than it was because we actually visited other hotels on the island and the food was great! We went to Le Tousserouk and had amazing Indian food with great table service. Then, we dined at Le Saint Geran and had great seafood.. We were very happy that we had not chosen the full board (which included dinner at the hotel) because we would have been frustrated. At least we got to experience other restaurants and that made our time in Mauritius all the better.
At the end of our stay, we requested to speak with the management in order to inform them of our disappointments. They were very responsive and appreciative to our comments but unfortunately, if they don't take immediate action to improve things, they are going to lose a lot of clientele. Because Mauritius is so far away, the hotels rely on people and travel agents to use word of mouth advertising. I hope they realize this and take steps to improve things quickly.

Beautiful!

by TripAdvisor Member magellan7

After a safari in Africa, my husband and I stayed in a Senior Suite (more like a house) at the Prince Maurice in Mauritius for one week. Our experience was wonderful. We had our own private pool, off our back porch which was feet from the Indian Ocean. The staff was so friendly and would truly do anything you asked. If you are looking for a relaxing get away and to spend a week like a king and queen then this place is for you.

Amazing holiday in Paradise

by TripAdvisor Member LandDBro

We stayed at the Prince Maurice for two weeks in September to celebrate my husbands 50th birthday and my 40th birthday and it was a holiday we shall never forget. The hotel is excellent in every way, the ethos being that of tranquility and this is just what we wanted. We had the most relaxing time in wonderful surroundings. Our junior suite was on the beach (88) and i would recommend this as the outlook from the bedroom is magnificent and you have access to what is like your own private beach. (although it can be a little windy). We were on half board basis and found the restaurant for breakfast and dinner to be of a very high standard. Lunch on the beach was also very good. The staff were all very friendly, helpful and couldnt do enough for you, true 5 star quality. The floating restaurant which we went to four times was very romantic and excellent food and service. In the main restaurant the menu had plenty to choose from, the food being excellent but the staff offered us other options with 24hr notice (for instance we had steaks flambe, and a specially prepared thai meal all cooked at the table). We cant wait to go back. If you want a complete rest and relaxation then this is the ideal place

Honest Opinion

by TripAdvisor Member hafoty

Just come back from spending a surreal week at the Prince Maurice. I agree with most of the plaudits said about this hotel. I think Hotel is a little unfair when it comes down to it. The first impression when you arrive has to be the most spectacular, the hotel lobby is the most jaw dropping, looking through the high timbered thatch roofed foyer all you can see is the moon pool that seems to reach into the lagoon, quite astounding.

We were given a junior suite which is more than adequate, don't bother having anything else it's just overkill and not worth the extra money. Our suite 35 was upstairs which although not stepping out onto the lovely clean beach was I thought better as it gave us a better view and more privacy.

The food was excellent in both restaurants, wine was not too expensive if you stuck to the good S. African wines at 30euros ish per bottle.
Do not be tempted into having an aperitif it will cost almost as much as a bottle of wine. Wew bought some good sparkling wine from the supermarkets and had that on our balcony before dinner.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and for an experience on a tropical Island would recommend this hotel every time,

A wonderful wedding venue

by TripAdvisor Member Joeboe

We got married at the Prince Maurice in September, and as a venue it was spectacular, Sabrina (the hotel wedding co-ordinator) could not do enough for us, and made our day very special.

Upon our arrival, we were greeted with cold flannels, and a refreshing drink, ushered into a beautiful lobby, which over looks the indian ocean, a welcome sight after such a long journey.

We stayed in a beachfront senior suite with its own private heated pool, the suite was lovely, and spotlessly clean, we had breakfast on our terrace a few times, and also two candle lit dinners, which to be honest was slightly spoilt be the high winds, as we had to keep relighting the candles! (don't forget to pack a jacket or two for the evening as it can get a little chilly) Our suite (63) was quite centrally located on the beach, which was great for service, but sometimes we felt a little overlooked as our terrace was only a few feet from the beach, the sea is very shallow, which is a little restricting if like us you enjoy swimming, as it never really got deeper then your waist, we would also recommend you wear something on your feet if walking in the water as there are fish that give you electric shocks if you stand on them, something we both did and its quite painful, although not dangerous.

We stayed half board, which certainly was more cost efficient, as the price for evening meal was quite high for the food served, which altough was very nice, and the service excellent, it lacked imagination and variety, to have to chose from the same menu for two weeks got a little monotonous. We also feel that the wine list needs a mention, a very impressive list, with even more impressive pricing!!we drank a very nice bottle of wine priced a the Prince Maurice at £170, at Sainsbury's last week I bought the same bottle for £8.99!!! but after all it is a 5 star hotel, so you need to expect to pay 5 star prices

However even with the few gripes we had with the hotel, it is a very relaxing a luxurious place to stay, and hopefully one day we hope to return.

Peaceful hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Camel1

I stayed at the Prince Maurice for 8 nights in November 2006.

Overall, my impressions of the hotel were very positive, but it is expensive. Therefore one's perception of value for money may depend on your preferences. The hotel is ideal for those looking for some peace and quiet in relaxing surroundings. Those looking for the hotel or vicinity to provide excitement will be disappointed.

The rooms were beautiful, each with a nice terrace and great bathroom. By 'junior suite is really meant a big bedroom with sofa and small table - more than adequate for most. One disappointment was the bed - two twin beds pushed together and quite hard, not what you would expect from a hotel marketed at honeymooners. I am 6 foot tall and felt the bed to be quite short too. Maybe this was peculiar to me but I also found the pillows uncomfortable and giving me a stiff neck. The management may have got this feedback from others as there was a 'pillow menu' enabling you to swap for something more comfortable, which I was able to do and thereafter got good sleep.

Note some of the rooms were on stilts over a fish reserve, which may not be to everyone's taste, I preferred to look at the sea/beach. Some suites were directly on the beach, but I believe these were the more expensive senior suites and above. Maybe discuss your preference with the hotel when you book.

For those worried about mosquitos, they were about but I think I avoided getting bitten. The hotel provided a repellant device in the bedroom for overnight.

The pool is lovely to look at, but not at all private, being virtually in the reception area and overlooked by the bar and restaurant. The (private) beach is fantastic, being what you imagine of a tropical paradise and not too busy. If you get too hot (it was a very pleasant 30 degrees when we went), attendants are on hand dispensing cold towels and (free) drinking water.

In the bar, the price of a local beer or a measure of local rum was 4.50 euros, which I considered to be not an unreasonable price for a hotel.

As someone else commented, there were minimal teenagers and only a few small children, which was a big positive for me.

The restaurant food was nice. I was on half board but would have baulked at some of the prices had I been paying direct (eg, 31 euros for smoked salmon starter). I really appreciated the vegetables that were given with most dishes, it seems the chef was making effort to make the food as healthy as possible.

One negative was the reception staff. If the phone rang while they were talking to you they would invariably answer it, sometimes at length. This gave a very rude impression. There should be backroom staff picking up calls so the reception staff can concentrate on the guest in front of them. Otherwise, the staff were very friendly and helpful.

The hotel is away from the main tourist areas and sites and I found it hard to summon the energy to leave the hotel. I think those others than golfers, honeymooners and sun-worshippers may find themselves slightly bored after a week - the flipside of this is that those looking just to relax on the beach and do nothing will find it ideal.

Not up to expectations!

by TripAdvisor Member tomh4

The review title says it all really, this is a nice hotel which offers good (not great) food, friendly (but pushy) staff and nice (but not that nice) surroundings at a fairly expensive price. We went on our honeymoon and stayed for 12 nights in August. In hindsight, this was the wrong time of year to go, the weather was overcast and it rained for 5 days. Also, what do you do in a hotel compound for 12 days/nights. If you love staying on the beach, eating and sleeping then thats fine but after 5 days of this, we were bored, bored and bored. A few things really bothered me as well. The staff were very friendly but the unending what I felt like was selling of drinks was extremely irratating. The walk to the restaurant every evening involved turning down requests from bar staff for pricley aperitifs but as the staff were so agressive trying to get you to take a drink it became a bit like an obstacle course trying to avoid them. Also, the price of food and drink was obsence. We got full board which excluded drinks and if you want a bottle of wine you are looking at €30 + for a basic bottle, although this is after they offer you the one which costs €100 +. Just to note that it works out cheaper to go half board and then pay for dinner yourself, it also means that you are not guzzling down every course to try and justify the price you paid for full board. On a positive note, most of the staff were very friendly especially in the floating restaurant, I'd recommend that you eat there every night, the food is better than in the main restaurant and the waiters are more personable. All in all, if I had to choose again, I would not stay here, it was overpriced and overrated.

stunning

by TripAdvisor Member Paul0447

we visited the hotel in November of this year and have to say thet we found the hotel to be absolutely amazing, lots of comments on here about price of drinks etc but what do you expect for a 5 star plus hotel on a gorgeous island in the middle of the indian ocean.
the staff were so helpful it was untrue and the standard of the rooms were 2nd to none.
could not find fault at all with this hotel.

A taste of heaven...

by nicolaspelon

Thanks to my father who won a 1 week trip to Mauritius for 4 people, I spent the most beautiful holidays ever!!

This place is heaven, and it has given the wish to visit many identical islands such as Tahiti, Hawai, St Domingue...

A little history:
The island had for a long time remained unknown and uninhabited. It was probably visited by Arab sailors during the Middle Ages, and on maps of about 1500, it is shown by an Arabic name 'Dina Arobi'. The Portuguese sailor Domingo Fernandez Pereira was probably the first European to land on the island at around 1511. The island appears with a Portuguese name 'Cirne' on early Portuguese maps, probably because of the presence of the Dodo, a flightless bird which was found in great numbers at that time.

It was another Portuguese sailor, Don Pedro Mascarenhas, who gave the name Mascarenes to the group of islands now known as Mauritius, Rodrigues and R‚union. The Portuguese did not stay long however as they were not interested in these islands.

The Dutch period (1598-1710)

In 1598, a Dutch squadron, under the orders of Admiral Wybrand Van Warwyck, landed at Grand Port and named the island Mauritius, in honour of Prince Maurice Van Nassau, "Stathouder" of Holland.

However, it was not until 1638 that there was a first attempt of Dutch settlement. It was from here that the famous Dutch navigator Tasman set out to discover the western part of Australia. The first Dutch settlement lasted only twenty years. Several attempts were subsequently made, but the settlements never developed enough to produce dividends and the Dutch finally left Mauritius in 1710. They are remembered for the introduction of sugar-cane, domestic animals and deer.

The French period (1715-1810)

Abandoned by the Dutch, the island became a French possession when, in September 1715, Guillaume Dufresne D'Arsel landed and took possession of this precious port of call on the route to India. He named the island Isle de France, but it was only in 1721 that the French started their occupation. However, it was only as from 1735, with the arrival of the most illustrious of French governors, Mahé de La Bourdonnais, that the Isle de France started developing effectively.

La Bourdonnais established Port Louis as a naval base and a ship-building centre. Under his governorship, numerous buildings were put up, a number of which are still standing to-day - part of Government House, the Chateau de Mon Plaisir at Pamplemousses, the Line Barracks The island was under the administration of the French East India Company which maintained its presence until 1767.

From that year until 1810, it was in charge of officials appointed by the French Government, except for a brief period during the French Revolution, when the inhabitants set up a government virtually independent of France.

During the Napoleonic wars, the Isle de France had become a base from which French corsairs organised successful raids on British commercial ships. The raids continued until 1810 when a strong British expedition was sent to capture the island. A preliminary attack was foiled at Grand Port in August 1810, but the main attack launched in December of the same year from Rodrigues, which had been captured a year earlier, was successful. The British landed in large numbers in the north of the island and rapidly overpowered the French, who capitulated. By the Treaty of Paris in 1814, the Isle de France which regained its former name 'Mauritius' was ceded definitely to Great Britain, together with its dependencies which included Rodrigues and the Seychelles. In the act of capitulation, the British guaranteed that they would respect the language, the customs, the laws and the traditions of the inhabitants.

The British period (1810-1968)

The British administration, which began with Robert Farquhar as governor, was followed by rapid social and economic changes. One of the most important events was the abolition of slavery in 1835. The planters received a compensation of two million pounds sterling for the loss of their slaves which had been imported from Africa and Madagascar during the French occupation.

The abolition of slavery had important repercussions on the socio-economic and demographic fields. The planters turned to India, from where they brought a large number of indentured labourers to work in the sugar cane fields.

The Indian immigrants, who were of both Hindu and Muslim faith, were to change rapidly the fabric of the society. They were later joined by a small number of petty Chinese traders.

Cultivation of sugar cane was given a boost and the island flourished, especially with the export of sugar to England. Economic progress necessitated the extension and improvement of means of communication and gradually an adequate infrastructure was created.

Constitutional development.

On the constitutional plane, the Council of Government which was first established in 1825, was enlarged in 1886 to make room for elected representatives. The new council included 10 members elected on a restricted franchise. It was not until 1933 that the Constitution was again amended in a significant respect. The proportion of nominated members of the Council not holding public office was raised to two-thirds. However, franchise was still restricted to persons within a certain income bracket and to proprietors. A major breakthrough occured in 1948, when after years of protracted negotiations for a more liberal constitution, franchise was extended to all adults who could pass a simple literacy test.

The Council of Government was replaced by a Legislative Council composed of 19 elected members, 12 members nominated by the Governor and three ex-officio members. General elections were held in August 1948 and the first Legislative Council met on 1st September 1948.

Following constitutional conferences held in London in1955 and 1957, the ministerial system was introduced and general elections were held on 9th March 1959. Voting took place for the first time on the basis of universal adult suffrage and the number of electors rose to 208,684. In 1961, a Constitutional Review Conference was held in London and a programme of further constitutional advance was established. It was followed in 1965 by the last constitutional conference which -paved the way for Mauritius to achieve independence. After general elections in 1967, Mauritius adopted a new constitution and independence was proclaimed on 12 March 1968. Mauritius achieved the status of Republic 24 years later -on 12 March 1992.

Population

The various population movements of the 18th, 19th and early 20th centuries have made Mauritius a unique blend of different races, cultures and religions. People of European, African, Indian and Chinese origins have created a multiracial society where the various cultures and traditions flourish in peace and harmony.

The population started to grow under French rule in the 18th century. In 1735, the population had grown to almost a thousand and reached nearly 20,000 in 1767 (fifteen thousand of them slaves). When the British abolished slavery in 1835, the population stood at 100,000. The population increased rapidly with the importation of Indian labourers. Between 1835 and 1865, some 200,000 labourers were brought in. By the turn of the century, the population numbered 371,000 and in 1944 it stood at 419,000. After the Second World War, the increase was more rapid, particularly because of the baby-boom and the drop in the infantile mortality rate.

The rate of natural increase which was about 3 per cent in the 60's has considerably dropped with family planning campaigns and greater awareness due to better education. During the last ten years, the population has grown at an average rate of 1.1 per cent annually. At the end of 1996, the population of the Republic of Mauritius was estimated at 1,142,513.

Beach at Le Prince Maurice HotelBeach at Le Prince Maurice Hotel

Open Air Lobby at Le Prince Maurice HotelOpen Air Lobby at Le Prince Maurice Hotel

by MONKEYCHOPS

Hi everyone

We have been fortunate enough to book our honeymoon in Mauritius at Le Prince Maurice for after our wedding later this year. After scouring the internet for last few months there doesnt seem to be any reviews posted for the hotel. Has anybody stayed there or been to mauritius and heard any reports good or bad?

Many Thanks

monkeychops. xxx

Re: Le Prince Maurice

by northsea

Le Prince Maurice is one of the 5 tophotels in Mauritius, so don't worry. You asked if anybody has been to Mauritius, following your homepage, you have been there !!!!

Re: Re: Le Prince Maurice

by MONKEYCHOPS

hi

thanks for your reply.

I last went to mauritius 16 years ago when i was only 10 so i imagine it has changed a lot since then. what i meant in my question was has anybody been to mauritius, stayed in a different hotel, but heard any reports on le prince maurice on the grapevine so to speak.

thanks
monkeychops.

Re: Re: Le Prince Maurice

by northsea

Hi,
That was indeed a long time ago.
Two years ago we were in Mauritius at the Sugar Beach and at the Paredise Cove. Very good, but not extraordinary. My opinion ?
1 - Le Royal Palm
2 - Le Saint Geran
3 - Le Prince Maurice
4 - The Oberoi
You atre the lucky ones - if you need somebody to carry your luggage, just call me ! (haha)
Happy landing