Hotel Beau Rivage

Bennytheball's Profile Photo

Adequate accomodation.

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 22, 2012

I arrived at Hotel Beau Rivage, "freewheeling" from the Gare Routiere, after a six hour trip on the CTM bus from Casablanca. I had no reservation, but in the week preceding Easter I estimated this would be no problem obtaining accomodation at off-season prices.

The hotel is centrally located in Moulay Hassan Square, and close to the port, above the Cafe de France. I climbed the stairs to the first floor reception, and greeted the desk clerk with my request for a room for one night, and if the hotel was to my satisfaction, I would stay and pay upfront for a further ten nights. The prospect of a wad of cash galvanised him into action, and the negotiations commenced......... The room would be Dh250, but this was quickly revised down to Dh220 when I gave him my well-practised pained expression, to exclude breakfast which could be added at the cost of Dh30, and paid in the rooftop restaurant.

The first night passed without incident to deter me from staying the full tenure, although the desk clerk proffered apologies for some young noisy English guests who had now departed.

The room No.2, close to the reception area was spotlessly clean, with ensuite bathroom and endless hot water, this proximity to the reception was occasionally noisy with the maids talking loudly "wok wok bezaaf" ( too much chatting ) but most Moroccan hotels are the same, so I've learned to adjust to the routine of nocturnal disturbances. I used a Pacsafe, anchored to the bedstead to secure my valuables, but nothing went missing or was disturbed by the maids cleaning the room and making up the bed, on a daily basis, after I went out to my daily activities.

I ate breakfast on the roof restaurant, and paid the manager's wife, who also did the cooking, in cash each morning Dh30, the food was good, cheese omelette, salad, bread, butter and honey and one cup of coffee. She also washed my clothes for a tip of Dh50.

Now for the downside........................ The dinner menu at a fixed price of Dh90, was of "variable quality". To their credit, when I asked for fish, they explained that they would not serve fish dishes unless fresh seafood could be obtained from the fish market, for a few days the weather had been too rough at sea for the fishing boats to venture out safely, so I could order Brochettes instead, or Tagine, the latter was a mistake, the lamb Tagine consisted of barely-recognisable pieces of gristle desperately clinging to bones, and heavily disguised by sliced vegetables, swimming in liquid grease, the following evening I ordered the chicken Tagine which, after lots of prodding with my fork, revealed the same camouflage attempt with the "naked" chicken bones.

After these gastronomic disasters, I elected to eat in Bar Hafra, where hot bean and fish tapas were served in convivial surroundings.

On balance, the Beau Rivage was worth the money, and there are plenty of other eateries nearby, but avoid old stale fish, on days when the fishing boats are confined to harbour, by the weather !

Benny.

Unique Quality: The view from the roof terrace is an excellent covert photographic opportunity of the street below, and the port beyond.

Directions: Place Moulay Hassan is easy to find, it's adjacent to the port and citadel, just ask any of the friendly Medina shopkeepers for directions, if lost.

cachaseiro's Profile Photo

Centrally located budget hotel

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 22, 2007

Hotel beau rivage is a fine budget hotel in a very good location near the harbour.
The rooms were ok and the staff ok too.
The place has a rooftop terrace where breakfast is served.
The only negative thing to say about the place is that it's a little sterile and lacks the atmosphere that a lot of hotels in Morocco has.

Unique Quality: Very good location.

Directions: one block from place orson welles.

suvanki's Profile Photo

Good location - in the centre of medina/ harbour

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 9, 2007

On my first visit to Essaouira, I'd passed through this pleasant square a few times, so I was very pleased when the hotel for our nights stay in Essaouira as part of our tour was to be one on this square.
I was even more pleased when I found that my room looked directly onto the bustling square below.

It was quite atmospheric, as the sea mist was swirling into the square, as you can see in my other pic.

Rooms are up a staircase, where there is a small reception area.

I was pleased to find that my room (R3) looked over the square below, so I could enjoy watching the bustle below. I didn't return to my room til very late, so don't know how noisy it is in the evening/ night time. In the morning I was woken early first by one of the longest and most distorted calls to prayer that I've ever heard- sounded like 'the needle had stuck' and it was just being repeated on and on.
Also, the shopkeepers and restaurant owners set up quite early. This wasn't too much of a problem as it was only for one night.

I did find it a bit disconcerting that the bathroom looked over the square, with fairly clear windows, so You could (if you wished) sit on the loo watching activities in the square below! - Running the shower soon misted the windows!

Breakfast was served outside in the square- tea/mint tea/coffee, juices, bread, jam/marmalade

Unique Quality: Handy location, near to the harbour and medina.

My room was bright and clean, with a view over the square and down to the harbour (when the sea mist cleared) It was quite a decent size too, with some storeage space.

This is a good place to stay if just wanting somewhere central as a base, (ie clean with essential facillities- bed /shower/wc )

Directions: From the harbour, turn right into the large Moulay Hassan Square, the hotel is on the left of the square. Entrance is next to a small cigarette kiosk, behind the tables and chairs!

Nearby Hotel Beau Rivage

Hotel Beau Rivage

• Beau Rivage Hotel

Address: 14, Place Moulay Hassan, Essaouira, Morocco

8 Photos of Hotel Beau Rivage

Amenities at Hotel Beau Rivage

• Restaurant

Essaouira Travel Forum

Need advice about Essaouira, Morocco? Visit the Travel Forum for Essaouira and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Essaouira hotel reviews

Opening Times
Thuya bargains
Flash flooding
Warnings and Dangers
Flood defences, Diabat, Essaouira.
Essaouira Medina shopping....
Shopping
Essaouira Medina shopping
Shopping
Essaouira North Beach observations......
The wheelbarrow people
Transportation
Beware of street excavations.....
Warnings and Dangers
Synagogue Rabbi Hiam Pinto, Essouira.
Christian Cemetery, Essouira.
A view over Essaouira
Wonderful Thuya Marquetry
Things to Do
Wonderful old doors and windows!
Skala de la Ville
Drive up the coast to Moulay Bouzektoun
The Portuguese Fortress
Things to Do
Walled fortified town with interesting gates
Things to Do
Cafes around the main square
Restaurants
Sewage mist from the sea.