Hotel Beau Rivage

Otel.com AMOMA.com Hotelsclick.com

Satisfaction Average

• Bennytheball's Profile Photo

Adequate accomodation.

I arrived at Hotel Beau Rivage, "freewheeling" from the Gare Routiere, after a six hour trip on the CTM bus from Casablanca. I had no reservation, but in the week preceding Easter I estimated this would be no problem obtaining accomodation at off-season prices.

The hotel is centrally located in Moulay Hassan Square, and close to the port, above the Cafe de France. I climbed the stairs to the first floor reception, and greeted the desk clerk with my request for a room for one night, and if the hotel was to my satisfaction, I would stay and pay upfront for a further ten nights. The prospect of a wad of cash galvanised him into action, and the negotiations commenced......... The room would be Dh250, but this was quickly revised down to Dh220 when I gave him my well-practised pained expression, to exclude breakfast which could be added at the cost of Dh30, and paid in the rooftop restaurant.

The first night passed without incident to deter me from staying the full tenure, although the desk clerk proffered apologies for some young noisy English guests who had now departed.

The room No.2, close to the reception area was spotlessly clean, with ensuite bathroom and endless hot water, this proximity to the reception was occasionally noisy with the maids talking loudly "wok wok bezaaf" ( too much chatting ) but most Moroccan hotels are the same, so I've learned to adjust to the routine of nocturnal disturbances. I used a Pacsafe, anchored to the bedstead to secure my valuables, but nothing went missing or was disturbed by the maids cleaning the room and making up the bed, on a daily basis, after I went out to my daily activities.

I ate breakfast on the roof restaurant, and paid the manager's wife, who also did the cooking, in cash each morning Dh30, the food was good, cheese omelette, salad, bread, butter and honey and one cup of coffee. She also washed my clothes for a tip of Dh50.

Now for the downside........................ The dinner menu at a fixed price of Dh90, was of "variable quality". To their credit, when I asked for fish, they explained that they would not serve fish dishes unless fresh seafood could be obtained from the fish market, for a few days the weather had been too rough at sea for the fishing boats to venture out safely, so I could order Brochettes instead, or Tagine, the latter was a mistake, the lamb Tagine consisted of barely-recognisable pieces of gristle desperately clinging to bones, and heavily disguised by sliced vegetables, swimming in liquid grease, the following evening I ordered the chicken Tagine which, after lots of prodding with my fork, revealed the same camouflage attempt with the "naked" chicken bones.

After these gastronomic disasters, I elected to eat in Bar Hafra, where hot bean and fish tapas were served in convivial surroundings.

On balance, the Beau Rivage was worth the money, and there are plenty of other eateries nearby, but avoid old stale fish, on days when the fishing boats are confined to harbour, by the weather !

Benny.

Unique Quality: The view from the roof terrace is an excellent covert photographic opportunity of the street below, and the port beyond.

Directions: Place Moulay Hassan is easy to find, it's adjacent to the port and citadel, just ask any of the friendly Medina shopkeepers for directions, if lost.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

Centrally located budget hotel

Hotel beau rivage is a fine budget hotel in a very good location near the harbour.
    The rooms were ok and the staff ok too.
    The place has a rooftop terrace where breakfast is served.
    The only negative thing to say about the place is that it's a little sterile and lacks the atmosphere that a lot of hotels in Morocco has.

Unique Quality: Very good location.

Directions: one block from place orson welles.

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Good location - in the centre of medina/ harbour

On my first visit to Essaouira, I'd passed through this pleasant square a few times, so I was very pleased when the hotel for our nights stay in Essaouira as part of our tour was to be one on this square.
    I was even more pleased when I found that my room looked directly onto the bustling square below.

It was quite atmospheric, as the sea mist was swirling into the square, as you can see in my other pic.

Rooms are up a staircase, where there is a small reception area.

I was pleased to find that my room (R3) looked over the square below, so I could enjoy watching the bustle below. I didn't return to my room til very late, so don't know how noisy it is in the evening/ night time. In the morning I was woken early first by one of the longest and most distorted calls to prayer that I've ever heard- sounded like 'the needle had stuck' and it was just being repeated on and on.
    Also, the shopkeepers and restaurant owners set up quite early. This wasn't too much of a problem as it was only for one night.

I did find it a bit disconcerting that the bathroom looked over the square, with fairly clear windows, so You could (if you wished) sit on the loo watching activities in the square below! - Running the shower soon misted the windows!

Breakfast was served outside in the square- tea/mint tea/coffee, juices, bread, jam/marmalade

Unique Quality: Handy location, near to the harbour and medina.

My room was bright and clean, with a view over the square and down to the harbour (when the sea mist cleared) It was quite a decent size too, with some storeage space.

This is a good place to stay if just wanting somewhere central as a base, (ie clean with essential facillities- bed /shower/wc )

Directions: From the harbour, turn right into the large Moulay Hassan Square, the hotel is on the left of the square. Entrance is next to a small cigarette kiosk, behind the tables and chairs!

More about Essaouira

Looking back to Av Al Ak from Safi Beach dunesLooking back to Av Al Ak from Safi Beach dunes

Fishing boats (by Chris)Fishing boats (by Chris)

EssaouiraEssaouira

TarosTaros

help! travel and shopping during Eid al-Fitr

by tabbiez

hi,
am planning to travel to essaouira from marrakech during Eid al-Fitr and wondered if buses will be running as normal and if i need to book tickets in advance? also what about shop openings? i am travelling with my baby and will need to buy supplies of nappies, milk etc. are the supermarkets open each day during this period?
any advice much appreciated!
thanks
tabbie

Re: help! travel and shopping during Eid al-Fitr

by geoveo

The Supratours buses from Marrakesh to Essaouira run there and back many times every day, even during religious festivals. Supermarkets will be open there usual times, though I don't recall there being any supermarkets in Essaouira.

Travel Tips for Essaouira

Future fishermen's boat.

by JLBG

On this one they have began to fix the planking on the ribs. There remains to adjust the length of the ribs that should not go any further than the planking. The bow is waiting after some fancy decoration ! Now, that should go fast.

Wine tasting

by JessieLang

Le Val d’Argan winery is about 15 miles from Essaouira (go north on N1, towards Marrakech) and they have a tasting room. It is in a beautiful setting, and the wine is good.
Hours: 10-6, daily

They also serve lunch, but we didn't eat there.

The shark tajine

by JLBG about Le Patio

I highly recommend the shark tajine, but do not wait too much to order. When we were in "le Patio", I had the last one : we advised our neighbors at the next table to have the same, but there was none remaining !

The Harbour

by earthflyer

The harbour has to be the top attraction for me in Essaouira. It's only a small harbour but with lots going on. You can get up real close to see how some of the boats are being built and there's always some one to show you around and explain how they build them.

In another part of the harbour you watch them repair the boats but can't go inside the grounds because of safety regulations but still you can get very close to it all and you can see everything that is going on.

Around the harbour many of the fisherman are repairing their nets ready for the next trip.

This is just an absolutely fantastic place to be.

Click on 4 more photos.

Harbour

by suvanki

The harbour of Essaouira is still a bustling place to visit, despite the decrease in fishing stock.

It is a fascinating place to wander around - watching the boats return with their catch, fishermen mending their nets, fishermen selling their catch to local housewives and business men. Please see my other pics on this tip for other views of harbour life.

Don't forget your camera! (but remember this is a working area)

Shrimps (crevettes)
Sardines
Squid (calamar)
Whiting (Merlon)
Dorade, Red Mullet (Rouget)
Sea Urchin (Oursins)
Crab (crabe)
Lobster (Homard)
Spiny Lobster (Langouste)
Sole
Torbot (Turbo)
Anchovies (anchois)
Cod (morue)
Tuna (thon) are some of the usual fish sold in Essaouira as well as swordfish and shark.

Sardines are about 5dh per kilo, shrimps about 10dh per kilo (2007)!

You can buy fish here, then have it cooked at the nearby fish grill restaurant stalls- please see my restaurant tips for more info

In June each year the sardine factory opens - I'm not sure if You can look around

Comments