Hotel Residence Vent des Dunes

More about Essaouira

Harbour EssaouiraHarbour Essaouira

Mint teaMint tea

The square IThe square I

Berber men having a kip.Berber men having a kip.

Riad in Essaouira

by patclark2

I am travelling to Marrakech on 14 - 21 March (with my husband) and I thought I would travel to Essaouira on the 16 or 17th March. How easy is it to book accommodation for a few nights, preferably in a Riad. Can I do it when I arrive or can you recommend a site where I can book in advance? I would also be interested in Riads in Marrakech if you have any ideas. I live in the country at home and like fairly peaceful surroundings normally.

by aegialichick

I booked my accommodation for the same period through medhotels.com - or just read through all these forums

by toniking1945

trip advisor has very good information

by WritingMother

We didn't have time to go to Essaouira but we did find a good site for accommodation in riads as follows:
The well-favoured site to use as a starting point is http://www.moroccosavvy.com/
I would think that as it's high season it would be a good idea to book in advance.
Hope that helps.
WM

by iwys

it is fairly easy to find accommodation in Essaouira and Marrakech on arrival. However, I would definitely recommend a wonderful riad in Essaouira called Maison d'hotes Mounia, which you can book in advance. You should be able to bargain them down to 350dh B&B for a double.

Travel Tips for Essaouira

Small boats awaiting

by JLBG

A huge number of small boats, all exactly alike, are waiting in one of the basins of the port. I do not know why they are so many. While we were in Essaouira, there does not seem that a single one has been used.

Tea pots etc

by suvanki about Don't know!

Instead of buying a teapot for making mint tea in, from a souvenir/ gift shop. I decided to browse around this hardware shop. Vter Fatepur also wanted one of these, so we entered the shop and soon spotted a selection. The shop keeper seemed surprised to see us, but was very helpful. we chose a tea pot each, which he carefully wrapped in newspaper.

I can't remember how much we paid, but it was less than in the souks of Marrakech, and I'd had a pleasant hassle free shopping experience. The shopkeeper seemed quite pleased too as he waved us good bye. These hardware shops have plenty of useful cheap items.

Teapots, olive oil cans, mint tea glasses, trays, kitchen gadgets etc. From a few dh upwards

Refreshing Mint Tea!

by suvanki about Cafe Afdulki- and all over Morocco!

Moroccan tea - The a la menthe (French) Atay (Arabic), Mint Tea, Moroccan Whisky- all names for the same refreshing beverage, served throughout Morocco-(and beyond!)

Boiling water is poured onto Chinese green tea, fresh spearmint leaves, and sugar - usually lots of! in a traditional styled silver tea pot. (like the one in the photo)

This is then poured, usually from a height, to form bubbles on the surface of the glass or cup.

Often this 1st pouring is returned to the pot, then the pouring is repeated.

I find this drink to be very refreshing- luckily, I like my tea sweet!
For a less sweet drink, the phrase is shwiya sukkar.

Mint tea is usually drunk without a meal.

Mint is considered to be an aid to digestion. I must admit, that it seemed to work, because I had no stomach problems during my 2 visits to Morocco!

Dried mint tea can be purchased from the spice stalls and Berber pharmacies, as well as supermarkets.

You can buy the teapots in the souk, or souvenir shops, varying sizes/ prices.
TIP- look at local hardware shops rather than souvenir stalls - cheaper prices and often a great shopping experience- the stallholders seem to be surprised and happy that you've shopped there. I'll never forget the look on the shopkeepers face when 2 of us foreign females turned up to chose a teapot from his shop, and when we bought one each, he wrapped them so carefully, then came out of his shop to wave us Goodbye!

Beware though, that the handle becomes very hot! I bought one for my mum, and she burnt her fingers- Ooops! The Mint Tea served at this roadside cafe was very refreshing!

Essaouira by Night

by barryg23

Streets in Essaouira that are by day full of life become strangely deserted once night falls. After our meal we wandered around the streets of the medina and met very few people. It didn't feel at all unsafe, just extremely quiet.

Skala De Ville

by suvanki

Skala de Ville is the high defensive wall built into the cliff sides. Along its walls, an impressive array of 18th and 19th century brass cannons point out to the Atlantic. These cannons are European, mainly from Spain (Seville) and Portugal.

Also a popular place to view the sun setting over the Atlantic Ocean

Comments