Hotel Riad Villa Damonte

More about Essaouira

Products, Ensemble ArtistanalProducts, Ensemble Artistanal

Sheep marketSheep market

EssaouiraEssaouira

The view from the rooftop terrace.The view from the rooftop terrace.

Kids in Essaouira

by maziegurl

Hi

Thanks so much for all the useful answers to my question about taxis.
Does anyone have any tips of things to do in Essaouira with young children - nice places to swim, see, eat etc or any general tips.

Thanks in advance

by pfsmalo

Hi,
First of all, Essaouira has a tremendous beach for kids, although of course you should always be careful of the currents in the bay.The part of the beach nearest the town is pretty free of the kite- and windsail surfers.

angiebabe and windcity, vt members both have good tips on Essaouira, have a look at their pages on here.

by windcity

Hi,
It depends on the age of your kids, On the beach you will find swings, slides & other apparatus. At the far end of the beach you will find camel and horse rides. Bucket and spades are available for sale in town.
If crepes with chocolate and banana is the sort of snacks your kids like you will find a few vendors around Moulay Hasan square. All the sandwich shops sell chips ! (fries)
Hope this helps

by ostadi

hi,
"excuse for my expression"
with my two young children (Oma-15year and moh-8year) we go often to essaouira and stay in 4 weeks. we never feel anxious.
vacancies is the occasion for children to make them self crepe, cakes, biscuit and other traditional eaten.
children like to do one's shopping frech frut in the green market or in fish market inside the fishing port.
if we have beautiful time, we go to the beach , children swim, or play with sand or volleyball or "badminton" or others.
children like "up stairs home theater" overall if it is with candle light and with friends.

2 yers ogo, we have a young couple from london for 1 week, it was very amusing and unforgeted experience for my two children.
in addition, musium, many interesting galleries (old city is a big gallery), exist in essaouira.
i insure you, we have never feel anxiety in essaouira.
I hope these coud give you great idea for your holidays in essaouira
sincerely yours.

Travel Tips for Essaouira

Goats climbing argan trees

by matcrazy1

As always, I wanted to see something more driving from Essaouira towards Agadir. So, south of Essaouira, I took a secondary gravel road towards the Atlantic Ocean.

I was very surprised to see numerous goats climbing trees. There are, unique to Morocco, argan trees (Argania spinosa) which have a fruit similar to olives, used to press an argan oil. Goats climb argan trees to eat their leaves and young fruits. When I stopped to take pictures a local goatherd stood proudly and started to pose in front of my camera. In a few seconds I saw another, local goatherd running very fast towards me. The young, semi-nude, barefooted boy explained me with his hands and face that he wanted to receive cigarettes and pens he saw inside my car. I gave the goatherds two plastic ballpoint pens and two Camel cigarettes. Well, this, maybe 14 - 15 years old boy, used to smoke a cigarette, hmm... I started at my 16 :-(.

Meet a sheep :-)

by matcrazy1

Strolling around medina, unexpectadly I met a new friend in the center/downtown. It was lonely sheep which didn't allow me to get closer. I was warned not to try to feed or touch any sheep as some of them don't accept such unsheep, human behaviour and the reaction of their owners maybe different as well. You may be asked to pay for a picture with a sheep.

Donkeys are the most common animals in downtown Essaouira and are still used for transportation.

Cheap quick eats

by littlebush about Cafe Al Faid

This place is on the corner of the main square but surprisingly cheap and good food which is ready pretty quickly.
We ate here most of the time.
I had pizza, steak & fries, and something else i cant remember(not all at once-each time i went). each time it only cost about 40dh, and of course it came with bread, as everything does in morocco. Its a good place to people watch.

If youre self catering, just around the corner from here is a grocery store where you can buy, yes you guessed it, bread. but u can also get other stuff.

Thuya bargains

by solopes

Wherever you go in Morocco, you may find all kind of handicrafts, generally without any mention of its origin and quality.

Thuya carvings and inlaid works are very appealing, by the delicacy of the work and soft smell of the wood.

If you go to Essaouira forget buying thuya works anywhere else. Here you may watch the carvers doing their pieces, and buy directly from the producers, practicing the favorite sport in Morocco - bargaining. Door to door, in the narrow streets of the Medina, in the shades of the walls, comparing styles, shapes, prices, and smiles, you feel the real Morocco. And save money!

Spice Souk

by iwys

Essaouira's small spice souk is opposite the fish souk in the Medina. I found the spice sellers here very friendly and laid back. One invited me in for tea and a chat about politics, then gave me two bags of spices as a gift.

Comments