12-14 rue Youssef el Fassi, Essaouira, Morocco

More about Essaouira

Casa di Carlo, EssaouiraCasa di Carlo, Essaouira

SunsetSunset

Morocco 2008Morocco 2008

In Essaouira, endless sky and beach....In Essaouira, endless sky and beach....

Accomodation in Essaouira

by magenta_80

Hello,

I´m travelling to Essaouira in december with my boyfriend and we´re looking for an appartment to stay for 2 months. We don´t have much money and we´re expecting to spend around 400 €/month. Does anyone knows of someone who rents houses there and how are the prices in this time of the year?
I´d thank very much any information because on internet everything I find is for tourists and expensive.

by flamencogirl

Hello! My boyfriend and I stayed in Essaouira and paid 30 euros per night. The apartment was big but you may find some with one room for around 15 euros per night. Because the city is so windy at that time of year, most tourists don't go to Essaouira for a long time . . . so you may have more choices of apartments and buying power ;) When you arrive, take a taxi to the Ibis hotel on the road to the beach. There will be a man on the street across from the hotel with keys, trying to rent out apartments . . . he won't charge as much as a rental agency would. You can also talk to local cafes or stores to see if they know locals who have apartments available to avoid the middle man prices of the agencies.

I have a friend who lives there . . . do you want me to ask him to search out apartments for you so you have a place ahead of time?

I also know some good restaurants and stuff . . . I'm still working on my homepage but if you email me with any more questions about southern Morocco in general, I'm available. . . .

Joy

by angiebabe

Hi, also check out VTers who live there - Windcity lives there and maybe you will find the months you want are the months she wants to rent out hers!?
But contact her and Im sure she will have info to help you with.

by windcity

Hi again,
I think you wrote to me on Africa guide, as said before you would find it hard to find a place in the Medina within your budget. Accommodation in Essaouira is probably the most expensive in all Morocco, despite tourist numbers being down on last year. I would wait until you get here and then ask around, There is a campsite if you are prepared to camp for a few days or until you find what you were looking for.
Contact me again when you get here & we can discus your options.
Regards
Sue

by magenta_80

Great answers! Thanks for the information, i´d be pleased to contact people living there. I arrive there on december the 16th. how can i contact your friend, flamencogirl? and how can i contact you windcity? It´s my first time in a forum and I don´t know how to use it well...

by windcity

Hi, just go to my home page and send me an email,
I look forward to meeting you.
Sue

Travel Tips for Essaouira

Essaouira Practicalities

by amsterdam_vallon

HOTELS AND ALTERNATIVES
Essaouira has plenty of hotels, covering all classes. All through the year there can be a certain demand for hotel rooms, and you are advised to check around no later than early evening. My last experience here in April 1998 left me with a clear impression that there is nothing to gain in terms of cheap prices from staying at unclassified hotels.
Essaouira also has a camping ground very close to town centre, and even closer to the beach. It is simple but adequate.
In the summer season, there are also some offers for bungalows for rent. These are normally not very cheap – aiming at groups of young Moroccans or families – but offer more privacy than most hotels.

RESTAURANTS AND ALTERNATIVES
The first time I visited Essaouira in 1990, we experienced that there were few places to eat good food. This has changed a lot now, and there are many restaurants all along the tourist trail, and they often offer good food at friendly prices.
Many of Essaouira's restaurants experiment more than average tourist restaurants in Morocco, something that reflects that visitors to this town has more of the traveller's attitude than the package attitude.

SPORTS AND ACTIVITIES
The main activity in Essaouira is windsurfing, due to the constant winds that pass this cape. You should bring your own equipment, but there are many hotels and clubs that will help you with the rest.

NIGHTLIFE
There is no European-style night life in Essaouira, but a couple of bars serve alcohols.

CHANGE MONEY
All necessary banks, and some of the hotels will help you too.

TRANSPORT
It should have been easier to come to, and leave Essaouira by public transportation. The bus and taxi stations are placed north of town centre, and you will have to catch a small taxi to get out here. But as soon as you have come this far, it is easy to find appropriate transportation in order to move on to your next destination.

Climate in Essaouira

by Leipzig

Rainy season: between October and April; in the other months it keeps dry

Avg. Temp. in Spring: max.: 25 – 27°C (77-80°F); min: 12-15°C (52-59°F)
Avg. Temp. in Summer: max.: 28 – 30°C (82-86°F); min: 17-19°C (63-66°F)
Avg. Temp. in Autumn: max.: 26 – 29°C (78-85°F); min: 12-17°C (52-63°F)
Avg. Temp. in Winter: max.: 22 – 24°C (72-75°F); min: 9-12°C (49-53°F)

Watertemperature: all the year between 18 - 22°C (64-72°F)

It doesn't feel so hot because of a cool breeze from the Atlantic.

Exotic atmosphere, wonderful variety of seafood

by DesertStar about El Patio

It was very romantic, and the food was wonderful. You wouldn't want to be in a rush in this restaurant, but I can't imagine why anyone would be. The menu was presented on an enormous blackboard almost as big as our waitress. The wine was wonderful and we really made a night of it. Our bill, including quite a lot of wine, a shared sherbet and the tip, was 550dh, about $70.00 Canadian. One of our splashes on the trip. I had two appetizers instead of an entree -- croustades de chevre (a bit too much raw garlic in them for my taste, but they really were wonderfulful apart from that) and sensational calamare aioli, which was mellow and delicious.

Museum of Essaouira

by angiebabe

I figured here was a good place to start - and to get to early especially as they are one of the places that closes at midday for a couple of hours 'for lunch'! and i was in a hurry - another flying visit!? with places to be and places to see.
But a nice little museum in an interesting building - a 19th century house that was a former pasha's residence and the town hall during the Protectorate.
This museum has displays of musical instruments, and berber and jewish costumes, carpets of local tribes, jewellery, weapons and crafts. I particularly liked the painted ceilings that were on display but down at my level so i was able to get some close up views!
and some beautiful craft items in thuya wood also.

Only 10 dirham entrance fee the museum is easy enough to find if you head for the medina postoffice next door or the hotel majestic just opposite.

House of cultural activity

by pep2

If you want to experience a place in Essaouira, where there is a great knowlegde of cultural subjects, you can visit Dar Souiri, located right inside Bab Sbaa.
The house has over the years done a great work for the benefit of Essaouira -- especially concerning the cultural life.
In Dar Souiri you will find for instance a beautiful library with a fine collection of books -- covering many subjects -- as for instance books about Moroccan art and culture, with wonderful photoes. It's a realy nice place to spend a couple of peaceful hours -- and Fatima, a nice young woman working there, speaks english.
There is also always an exhibition going on -- of art or of a subject, concerning everyone -- like cilmate/ pollution.
There are many other activities going on in the house - you have to go and see it - and enjoy the beauty of the house.
In Dar Souiri you can have very qualified information about Essaouira -- especially on cultural subjects.
For the future there are plans of making a café / study on the roof - it will be great, from there you kan see the whole bay of Essaouira and the madina as well.

Comments