9 Rue Attarine, Essaouira, 44000, Morocco

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 32% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Riad Al Madina

by naranja about Riad Al Madina

The door opened into a tiny salon from where steps led down to the minuscule bathroom and more steps upstairs to the bedroom. All there was in the bedroom was the bed, surrounded by fabric and blue and white tiles, in other words it was sooo romantic, I loved it!

Hotel Riad al-Madina

by meliagaunce about Hotel Riad al-Madina

~600 Dr Want to feel like a rockstar, living in a pasha's villa? Than this is the right adress for you. Compared with other accomodatians in Morocco a little expensive, but for one night it's worth the money.

RIAD AL MADINA!

by naranja about RIAD AL MADINA!

The Riad Al Madina has an ambiance full of history. In the 60s, when it was called Hotel du Pasha, it was a favoured of artists like Tennessee Williams, Jimi Hendrix and Frank Zapa. Built in 1871 it used to be the residence of a pasha and with the courtyard and balconies it is an architectural jewel, lovely and romantic. The fountains were filled with roses and little birds came to refresh themselves during breakfast.

Hotel Riad al-Madina

by iwys

This is the so-called Jimi Hendrix hotel, which is pointed out to all tour groups. Unfortunately, Jimi Hendrix never stayed here.

Jimmi Hendrix Riad

by suvanki about Riad Al Madina, Essaouira

My first visit to Essaouira I passed by this place, during a day tour from Marrakech, it was pointed out as being one of the places that Jimmi etc stayed at.

I later checked out the web page, and decided that one day I'd return to stay here.

At my recent visit, our guide had booked a restaurant for our evening meal, I was excited to find that it was at this venue.

8 of our group of 16 enjoyed a meal here. We entered through the courtyard- typical Moroccan design of courtyard with fountain, then were shown to the floor below - seated areas in booths- low tables and cushioned seats - comfortable and relaxed.

Apparently there's a roof terrace too.

Alcohol is served- extensive list of beers, wines and spirits, plus soft drinks.

Some black and white framed pics of Jimmi and his contemporaries are displayed on the walls, but it is mainly a traditional Riad style establishment. The menu was quite extensive, with a set menu, plus fish, meat, tagines etc.

I chose a fish dish- not quite sure which fish- the waiter tried to explain -but it was a local white flat fish, with peaches and white port, cream and rice- Mmmmm it was delicious!

A dish of Olives was a yummy appetizer, plus flat bread.

After our meal, one couple left, so we 6 proceeded to demolish a few Flag and Casablanca beers! It was the first time during our tour that we'd had the chance to sit and chat properly, which was a shame, as 2 of the couples were going to stay on in Essaouira, and not continue to Marrakech, for the end of the tour. This was probably my favourite night of the tour.

In my pic is Jacquline (1st Left), who I met on this tour and persuaded her to join VT! She's now VTer Fatepuh!

Hotel Riad al- MadinaHotel Riad al- Madina

Riad al-madina, EssaoiraRiad al-madina, Essaoira

Wedding in Morocco

by shakira

Does anybody know of a beautiful place to get married in Morocco??

by robine

Marrakech!

by Paul2001

I agree with Marrakesh but Essaouirra is also an option especially since it is by the sea.

by amoun

salamo alikom
dans toute les ville du maroc et surtout les plus grandes il ya des salles reservée pour celebrer de tel occasions ... amon avis je prefer marakech c'est un bon endroit pour une belle celebration.good luck

by yoova

I couldn't agree more(Marrakesh is the place to be and see).

by jmf_traveler

Check out Riad Al Madina in Essouria - very romantic. http://www.riadalmadina.com/

Here are a few pictures of Essaouria, a beautiful walled city by the sea. http://www.rusticblue-morocco.com/essaouira.htm

by vela_candela

Definitively Marrakech!!!

by xaver

If you can make it...in the middle of the desert!!!!

by xaver

I would love to do that, definitly much better than any city!

by titti

I'd love Marrakech, but also Merzouga should be great.

by titti

not sure, but I think I was there travelling from Zagora...so many years ago....

by yoova

Hello Marzouga Man,

how far is Marzouga from Marrakech?

by shakira

Thank you guys so much for all your help!!! I will be looking into all the different options that you have offered and I most certainly will contact you guys again for more info!

Once Again, Thank You Very Much!!

Shakira

by titti

... and let's know where you'll get married :-))

essouira

by hyde16

hi there, i`m travelling to morocco for a few days and have heard essouira is worth visiting. has anyone any info of where to stay and how to get there from tangier, what to do when there. thanks

RE: essouira

by fzs

Have lived in MA for 4 years and just returned from a short break, including 2 days in Essaouira.

Yes, it's worth it. It's beautiful and very tourist friendly, although that can make it a bit more crowded with tourists, obviously. I try to go back as often as I can.

Lots of choices on places to stay and they represent the full range. Because I go there to treat myself, I have always stayed at the Riad al Madina. Breakfast in the courtyard is worth 3x the price (for me) and it's perfectly located. A friend of mine was there at the same time, and she stayed not far away (can't remember the name of the place) and paid much less but was equally satisfied. So, choices are available.

To get there from Tangier, the easiest would be train from TAngier to Marrakesh and then bus (CTM or regionals) to Essaouira. Both trains and busses are fairly comfortable and allow some sense of the scenery. Alternatively, you could use train/bus to get fairly close and then use grand taxi for one leg of the journey. That will give you a taste of REAL Moroccan travel! But it's not for the faint-of-heart.

On the train, first-class can appear to be a better idea (and I use it). But: first-class car (usually only one) often, annoyingly, ends up the FARTHEST from the platform (.25 km hike to it!). If fc is full, then you MUST sit in your seat number (much haggling and grumbling may ensue). Finally, if fc is full, it's no roomier or more comfortable than 2c. So, at busy times, I choose 2c.

Assilah, about 40 minutes south of Tangier, has some of the same characteristics and charm of Essaouira. Consider a stop there, too.

RE: RE: essouira

by Moroccan

For more info about Essaouira try this website www.essaouira.com

RE: RE: essouira

by hyde16

cheers guys! thats great! thanks

Comments