2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

Sword fishSword fish

Honeymoon In September

by emmacorris

Hello,
I am planning my honeymoon at the beg of Sept in Morocco. We are planning on doing 5 days ish in Essaouria and then onto Marrckech. I know their is a good breeeze on the coast but will this breeze make it to windy to relax on the beach if i dont want to do watersports. I wanted a few days at a beach resort to relax but dont want somewhere really windy that would prevent this?
Are there any rules on sunbathing because of the culture and religion - would i be able to wear a swimsuit on the beach?
Thanks, Emma

Re: Honeymoon In September

by tusu

I've been to Assavira in November. I did not find the beach very relaxing. Many people playing football. Smell of the fish from the neer port. Rather windy.
The city itself is very beautifle and very relaxed (at least comparing to Marakesh). For me a good Idea was to book a room in a nice riad anr relax on the roof terrace (nearly all riads have one). Splendid views of white houses and the sea, comfortable sits in the sun.

RE: Honeymoon In September

by katherineharrison

hello i just recently came back form essaouria and marrakech and from what i saw i dont think you'll have a problem sunbathing rather than doing watersports, although its fun to watch them! it is entirely possible to relax on the beach in a swimsuit, although the locals tend to cover up more, essaouria is very touristy and used to westerners. it is very windy on the beach and you are likely to get covered in sand but it is still possible to relax, there are sunlounger areas which are very cheap and you can have for the whole day which many holidaymakers seemed to take advantage of. although as i say it is acceptable to wear swimsuits on the beach i would advise you to take a wrap dress or a kaftan to cover up with for when you leave the beach. both essaouria and marrakech are incredibly beautiful places and i hope you have an amasing honeymoon, take care, katherine

Travel Tips for Essaouira

Boatman

by JLBG

On a small boat, a boatman transports guys from a boat to the quay on the other side of the harbor. And the reverse ! From time to time he bales his boat which seems to have a nice leak ! It is not very safe !

Oil paintings

by suvanki about Galerie La Grotte

I was drawn to this shop by the warm coloured paintings. I'd intended buying a print or painting from Essaouira, after seeing the examples for sale the year previously.

As I'd spent a night in the desert, and endured an uncomfortable camel ride there from/to Zagora (after which I vowed never to ride a camel ever again!) I thought that the camel paintings would remind me of the experience, and make me smile/grimace each time I looked at them.

The shop owner, (Abdallah Barhiche) spent quite a while showing me lots of paintings by the different local artists.
I'd seen so many that I decided to sleep on it, and promised to return next day.

I did go back, but surprisingly I changed my mind at the last minute, as a street print in white, grey and black caught my eye. I was in a bit of a hurry, as our mini bus was due to leave very soon. A bit of bargaining, until I was happy with the price. My canvas was on a frame, but to make it easier to carry, he removed it from the frame, then rolled it in paper, advising that if the canvas cracked, a bit of water rubbed onto the back should mend it.

Well I'm afraid it's still sitting waiting to be re framed (along with the prints and posters I purchased last year) Paintings / drawings by local artists - all sizes, prices, styles

Before You buy, think if it will go with your decor at home - The bright Essaouira light is very different to the UK etc.
Also, think if you can carry it safely- especially if You're backpacking or touring around. The print I chose was on a frame, but the owner removed the frame and rolled it - even though I was careful, my oil painting still cracked a bit. Consider posting Your print home in a cardboard tube, which I've spotted in other shops in Essaouira From a few dh to a bank loan!

North Bastion

by iwys

The eighteenth century North Bastion is a circular tower at the north-western corner of the city walls. It has great views of the seafront. It is one of five bastions, or towers, dotted around the city walls. Each one commands a clear view of the next one. Theodore Cornut, the French military architect, who designed them in the 1760s, made each one different. I don't know if that was for strategic or aesthetic reasons.

You may find that you need to shelter inside the bastion to get away from the strong winds blowing in from the sea.

Skala de la Ville

by earthflyer

These impressive walls built on cliffs of Essaouira have some great views out to sea. Locals and tourists come here to the Skala de la Ville to watch the sunset and buy souvenirs.

Like the Skala du Port they have 18th & 19th century brass cannons facing out to sea.

Click on 2 more photos.

The Mellah- Jewish Quarter

by suvanki

Moroccan towns and cities often have a Jewish Quarter, known as the Mellah, formed when these citizens were forced to leave Andalucian Spain (along with the Moors) around 1492.

Later, under the order of Sultan Sidi Mahamed Ben Abdallah, families of Jewish merchants were invited to assist in international commerce. Shopkeepers, fruit and veg sellers, craftsmen, peddlers and highly renowned Rabbis enabled development of this once thriving community.

Morocco offered protection during WW2, and also helped many Jewish families , fleeing Poland and Germany etc., to escape to the USA.

However many inhabitants of the mellahs emigrated to Israel in the 1950's and 60's, leaving their homes to fall into disrepair.
Wandering around these narrow winding streets and alleyways, you can spot old Star of David carvings in the stonework, or into the wooden doors. Some doors also have 'hand of Fatima' door knockers.

However this is now one of the poorest areas, with many houses having no running water or toilets.

The Mellah is an interesting place to wander, it is quite atmospheric during the daytime. On my recent visit We were warned not to wander around into the alleys of this area as there were reportings of drug related crimes.

I've also read that a hotel chain has its eye on this area for development - many of the buildings are sea facing!

Comments