Riad Jemalhi Mogador

Riad Jemalhi Mogador
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Essaouira

Here we go -- playing the music !Here we go -- playing the music !

goats in the Argan treesgoats in the Argan trees

The fish stalls - from a safe distanceThe fish stalls - from a safe distance

Fishing boatsFishing boats

getting to and from Essaouira

by puppylix76

I am traveling with my mom for one week in November in Morocco. We have decided to do a loop that includes Casablanca to Marrakech to Essaouira back to Casablanca. We are planning to take the train from Casablanca to Marrakech. My question concerns transportation from Marrakech to Essaouira to Casablanca, as there are no rail links to Essaouira. I understand that shared taxis are a common form of getting around, but I am not familiar with them. Are shared taxis available for these great distances? Are they efficient? Or are there other recommended modes of travel between these particular cities? Any experiences or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :-)

Re: getting to and from Essaouira

by yas2

Hi

I will recomend you to take the bus. there is a lot of buses between essaouira an marrakech. the best to join casablanca would be to take back the bus until marrakech (4 hours i guess) and then from there take the train to casablanca (3 hours).
I did once the trip from rabat to essaouira and it was quite long.
even if you do the trip by car you usually pass by marrakech any way.

for more information for the busses: http://www.ctm.co.ma
there is no informations about the scehdules and routes.

for information about the trains:
www.oncf.ma

here you can find all the information you want!

I think shared taxis might be expensive and not really comfortable to do that route.

have a nice trip

yas

Re: Re: getting to and from Essaouira

by Paul2001

I agree with the idea with taking the bus. The trip from Essaouira to Marrakesh took me about 2.5 hours. The buses in Morocco are probably not up to European standards but I have been on worse. They are also quite cheap.

Re: Re: getting to and from Essaouira

by puppylix76

Thank you Yas2 and Paul2001 for your very quick responses. I have looked at the info you have provided and the train and bus combo thru Marrakech does look the most efficient and reliable.....with air conditioning too :-)

Travel Tips for Essaouira

Busy on board

by JLBG

On board, the fishermen are still busy but very little fish is disembarked !! From time to time, someone leaves the boat with a small plastic bag with a few fishes and that's all ! Where is the freight ?

Thuya Wood

by suvanki about Apacray ? Art co operative

Thuya trees are unique to this area, the fragrant wood is used in all manner of craftwork. Marquetry work is of a high standard, whether in tables or gift boxes.

This co operative has an area where the craftsmen can be observed working on the various stages of creating their works of art.

The large showroom has examples of Thuya wood work, from pieces of furniture to small key rings etc. There are also other examples of local art such as paintings. Thuya wood marquetry work

wooden boxes

coffee tables

jewellery Prices are fixed, so you can get a good idea of what to pay in other shops, or buy here, where there's a wide selection of quality goods.

I paid 20dh for a Thuya Wood bangle. (2005)

Rampert

by Sambawalk

It is an easy day trip from Marrakesh. The town is laid back. Orson Wells filmed most of his adaption of Shakespeare's Othello in Essaouira. The rampart is part of the dramatic opening scene of the movies. You can get a breath taking view of the Atlantic Ocean by Skala de la Ville.

South Bastion

by iwys

The South Bastion is a massive circular tower at one corner of the city walls. It is much bigger than the other bastions, perhaps because it needed to accomodate more troops to defend the city against a land attack.

Spice Souk

by suvanki

Jacquline (VTer Fatehpur) and I stumbled on the spice souk while enjoying some free time during our tour.

The young stall holder was quite keen to sell us something, and launched into the spice sellers well practiced routine. Do all spice sellers attend a course? Each time I've encountered a Berber pharmacist or a stall in a souk throughout Morocco, the spiel is roughly the same, with little variety.

Well business looked slow, so we let him indulge in his patter. I didn't buy anything (as I've still got spices at home from my previous trip to Marrakesh), but he didn't seem to mind too much, I think he was glad of someone to talk to.

I'm not sure how the prices compare to Marrakesh, but they'll certainly be cheaper than back home in the UK.

The spice souk is situated in a pleasant courtyard, which is typical Moorish style. Covered sidewalks that open into a central courtyard with a central fountain.

Comments