39 rue Ceuta, Medina, Essaouira, 44000, Morocco

EssaouiraEssaouira

Poll on Essaouria town wallsPoll on Essaouria town walls

Essaouira Friday 21/04/2006

by Foxterrier

A couple of quick questions re: Essaouira.
We're arriving late Friday night (23:00) Will there still be places open to eat?

Also, we are only in Essaoira for 1 week onlt and would like to visit Marrakesh.
How easy is this? Ideally we would like to stay 1 night in Marrakesh so we can visit Jemaa el Fna.

Any help would be appreciated.

RE: Essaouira Friday 21/04/2006

by jdh584

A night in Marrakech is very possible if staying for a week in Essaouira. You should take a Supratours bus which costs around £4.00 one way. This takes about 3 hours and is an excellent, cheap way to travel. It is a coach with air conditioning and very comfortable. The scenary on the way if quite nice so the 3 hours are not wasted. There are lots of cheap hotels in Marrakech. We stayed at the the Imperial which is 4 star with a pool for £40 per room. Djemna El Fna is brilliant at night. It is absolutely wonderful and really good fun. The fish at the stalls is really fresh and the orange juice is plentiful and very tasty (probably due to the amount of sugar they add). We just wandered around Marrakech during the day and did some shopping in the souk which is off Djemna El Fna and had a wonderful couple of days but felt it was enough time there.

Travel Tips for Essaouira

Awaiting on the quay

by JLBG

On the quay, a group of folk has gathered, awaiting for the boats. Some are here to buy some fresh fish on board. But most of them are here, just for the pleasure to be there and meet friends. Though yesterday evening there were tourists around, this morning, there is not a single one, besides us !

Bargain pottery

by suvanki about Poterie Bab Marrakech

An Aladdins cave of brightly coloured pottery ranging from egg cups and small saucers to huge plates and vases etc.

I had trouble narrowing my choice down, as I still had a few days of our tour, and was afraid that pieces might get broken.

I managed to limit myself to a condiment set in the shape of 3 tagines and an ash tray like the ones I'd seen in some restaurants.

I can't remember how much I paid, but I know it was less than some similar items I saw in Marrakech, and a fraction of the price that I'd have paid back home.

Friendly efficient staff.

Tagines, plates, mugs

Huge plates/ Platters and bowls for a fraction of the price in John Lewis etc.

Oh, and bring some bubble wrap in your luggage! From a few dh to as much as You want

Cafe on Place Hassan

by barryg23

I can't remember the name of this coffee shop but it's at the top end of Place Moulay Hassan and from the terrace there is a great view of Place Hassan down towards the harbour. They also do a good value breakfast for 20 Dh (2 Euro) per person.

Berber men having a kip.

by Beefy_SAFC

They're not trying to sell anything, they're not offering me cannabis, they're not trying to get me to buy something from their shop...

...a rarity in the hive of activity that is Morocco - they're just chilling out and having a kip. Insert you're own caption as I can't think of one.

And before any Americans make any comment, they're not extras from Star Wars!!! They're actually wearing traditional Berber dress, consisting of a near-body length hooded cloak fastened at the front.

Sight of the medina

by JLBG

From the Squala the sight towards the medina is exceptional. This is especially true in the evening. And there are always the seagulls ! But from a certain distance, they can add to the beauty of the landscape ! From a certain distance… Keep away !

Comments