Villa Quieta

AMOMA.com

More about Villa Quieta

Essaouira

by grovier about La villa Quieta

Superbe realisation dans une ancienne maison de famille; moderne et avenante, grandes chambres lumineuses...
Un salon arabe de toute beauté et de 400m2 environ, .

Beautiful landscapes on a stressful trip

by swissrain

"Beautiful landscapes"

Landscapes, mountains, valleys, deserts and interspersed oasis are are of utter beauty.

"Hassles ..."

But the traveller constantly has to watch out not to be cheated or deceived. A large group of touts, shop-keepers, taxi-drivers or car-renters seem to have the one aim only: to make life of tourists difficult. Even on this third trip I was cheated again. So after all I was extremely happy to finally leave this country again. I had arrived here in the best mood and left the country stressed, as I felt being taken advantage of, overchardged, cheated, or even aggressed all the time.
How to avoid that on my next trip?
First: only rent a car from a recommended company! (I was promised a good, new car by Reginia Car in Marrakech, and I got a very old, unreliable jalopy.)
Second: Avoid touristic, crowded places, such as the Souk of Marrakech.
Third: be careful with your credit-card. Only use it in very elegant places. (Mine was copied and used in Dubai a few days later, after I had used it in a travel agency on Mohammed V. in Marrakech.)
Fourth: Don't believe anything you are being told. Be careful getting into friendly talk to people. They might misuse the friendly relation to take advantage of you. As a rule, be short or even rough when getting into business. Don't give the friendliness back which you are receiving, it would weaken you position.
Fifth: Don't accept overcharging (well, this is one of the reasons for getting stressed all the time: the constant haggling ...)
Sixth: Go to calm remote places: Dunes d'or in Merzouga. Villa Quieta in Essaouira.

"Great places"

Yet, I am not sure if this was my last time to Morocco. Some places are peaceful. On my next trip I would try to avoid being cheated and only go to those places I liked, such as Merzouga ... One of my favourite places is definitely the "Dunes d'Or", situated at the foot of the dunes. It is a simple place. One of my favorite ones to hang loose. Instead of retreating in an ashram, I can as well come here with the same effect.

A very nice young fisherman - EssaouiraA very nice young fisherman - Essaouira

In the village of Sidi MoktarIn the village of Sidi Moktar

White & Blue housesWhite & Blue houses

Essaouria street sceneEssaouria street scene

location

by RusskiPower

where's that restaurant?

by moroccomania

which restaurant ?

by ellielou

near that corner.

by Adamis

just above those waiters, if i'm not mistaken.

by RusskiPower

Whoops, sorry, I thought I was posting a question to a tip. I can only remember now there was no address for the restaurant it recommended.

Pls pardon my rookie mistake! Hope you all had good fun cracking jokes at my expense! :o)

+virtual hugs to all+

by ellielou

I agree! You're taking this really well...and welcome to VT! :-))

by iwys

Chez Sam is in the harbour. You have to walk through the harbour gates, past another restaurant on your left, which is more expensive and not as good, and then right to the quayside, and you will see a blue building which looks a bit like a boat. That's it!

Travel Tips for Essaouira

On the port

by JLBG about Le coquillage

When we visited the shipbuilding yard, we spotted "le Coquillage" (the shell), a seafood restaurant. It is very close to shipbuilding and to the harbor where the fishing boats arrive. They must have fresh seafood too!

Essaouira outside the tourist area

by pep2

When visiting Essaouira, I always enjoy taking a walk to some of the places, not very well known by tourists, but where Moroccan people are living their everyday-life.
If you like to do that, you could start outside Bab Doukkala and begin by walking to the bus-station. On the way you will pass by a very fine local market for vegetables -- and a lot of shops with all kinds of stuff: Clothes, furniture -- just everything. There is always a lot of things going on, and it's easy to find a nice café, if you need to take a break.
After the bus-station you can cross the big Avenue Al Akaba - and on the other side you will find some neigbourhoods, where mostly Moroccans live, and you have an impression af what life is like for people here. Again, there are lots of tings to look at and plenty of shops and restaurants. But I would advise you not to walk there alone after sunset.
You can take the sidewalk to the north along Ave Al Akaba and in the northern end of it you will pass by the neigbourhood called Skala (not in-the-Madina-Skala, but Lotissement Skala). It is built in a special style, and it is a rather poor neigbourhood --- but it certainly has its own charm and beauty. Usually I just walk by on Av Al Ak -- yet sometimes also take a walk inside Skala. But I never stop and stare at people (or what's going on), and never take photos here -- I do not think europeans are expected to come here, and I feel like I have to respect, that people here do not want to many tourists come and disturb here. But --- my feeling is, that as long as I just walk by, like anyone else, it's ok.
North of Skala, at the end of Ave Al Ak, you will find a beautiful beach, called the Safi-beach, almost only used by local people (and not much used at all). I sometimes go there just to enjoy the look of this beautiful, deserted coastline. Important: If you want to take a walk along this beach, you must find yourself a reliable guide, it's not safe to do it alone.
For getting back -- it's easy to find a small taxi, it will cost 6 dh to get back to the Madina.

Rocky coast

by JLBG

The coast around Essaouira is very rocky and not very welcoming for swimming ! Moreover, the place is often windy as this is where the trade winds begin. So, when you come to Essaouira, enjoy the sights, enjoy wind surf if you like but do not hope any beach tanning !

Comments