Charia Al Maghreb Al Arabi, Ouarzazate, MA 3P 121, Morocco

Expedia.com Tingo.com Hotelsclick.com

Costs 23% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• suvanki's Profile Photo

3* hotel

This hotel was to be the starting point for our Exodus 8 day tour of Marrakech and The Sahara. I had a couple of nights there by myself before the tour started, which I enjoyed, as I got to see quite a bit of the town and surrounding areas

Initially, I wasn't too impressed with this hotel, the receptionist hadn't been particularly welcoming for starters, and had just vaguely pointed me in the direction of my room - there was no porter to help me with my bag (I tried to find my room, and was rescued by a nearby gardener, who showed me where my room was, and helped me with my luggage).

I'd just got myself settled and unpacked, when a thunderstorm started.

I'd arrived about 1500hrs and the restaurant didn't open 'til about 20.00hrs. (I was quite hungry, as I hadn't eaten since my breakfast in Marrakech).

When it finally opened, I found it was a limited set menu. The meal was OK, but I soon realised that the staff were outnumbering the guests.

Next mornings breakfast was quite disappointing too - bread, pastries and cake with tea or coffee.

On the way back to my room, after breakfast, a man introduced himself as Mohamed (the hotel manager) and said he'd come to find me as he wanted to help me until my group arrived.

I asked where there was an ATM, and he offered to drive me to the bank in town. I took up his offer.

After visiting the ATM, he showed me around his restaurant, (Le Bougafer) (Please see my Restaurant tips for more info) and language school before leaving me at the Kasbah, after arranging to show me around the film studios later that afternoon.
    He also arranged for a guide to drive me around the Dades Valley the next day.

Evenings at the hotel, there was entertainment in the outside bar - a singer/compere, and keyboard player.

My first night, there was a handful of guests, but the next night a number of local 'westernised females' and more guests made the numbers up.

I spent an afternoon at the hotel pool, (which I had to myself for most of the time) which was quite relaxing.

This would probably be a good hotel to use as a base for travelling around the area, the pool was nice and refreshing at the end of a hot day.

It lacks local character, being a bit off the main town. (I guess it's popular with tour groups)but some locals did come here at night.

It also felt a bit neglected, but probably because there weren't so many guests there at the time of my visit.

My initial reaction changed by the end of my stay, mainly due to Mohammed ensuring that I enjoyed the sights of Ouarzazate and its hospitality.

Unique Quality: Pleasant pool, and sun terrace. Shower and reclining loungers.

Outside bar, with fountain area - evening entertainment - singer and keyboards - though the singer did 'target' me a few times to sing to me- probably because I was sat by myself for some of the time.

Gardens with roses and a small palm grove (palmeraie) hence the hotels name!

Rooms set out in 'kasbahs' about 6 rooms to a block.

Directions: In the 'Hotel District'

Comments