Riad Salam Ouarzazate

Priceline.com Booking.com Despegar.com

Satisfaction Average

• JessieLang's Profile Photo

A pleasant spot

The Riad Salam Hotel is built in a southern Moroccan architectural style. The hotel has gardens, and a really nice pool. Rooms are air-conditioned and have cable TV.
    There are 62 rms, including some suites, on two floors. No elevator.

The hotel had a restaurant, bar, and gift shop. The dining room was indoors, but it was possible to sit at a poolside table to dine or get a drink

Unique Quality: Sitting in the courtyard by the pool was very pleasant.

More about Riad Salam Ouarzazate

Best Riad in Ouarzazate

by johnsakura about Riad Dar Rita

Riad Dar Rita is a new guest house located on a typical district of Ouarzazate, near the river bank and inside a real Moroccan district. 7 rooms with bathroom, amazing decoration and great food. Expect people on the streets, fruit markets, children playing, women carrying bread to the local oven, the real life of Moroccan people.

Adventures in Morocco

by triciadaouros

"Casablanca - Fez"

We returned about two weeks ago from an exhausting and enlightening trip to Morocco. We rented a car ($600 US) and drove ourselves over 4000km in two and half weeks. We stayed in a wide variety of hotels basically we wanted a clean room with private bath we found this in every place but one!

Overall we found things inexpensive in Morocco except gas and hotels which were moderate similar to what we pay in Greece. Our first night we spent Casablanca before heading to Fes for 2 nights. At first glance I didn’t care for Fes, were hassled a lot in the Medina and in the evening when I ran back to the hotel for my camera there was a lot of hissing and name calling. Our second day was much better though; we started off at the museum Batha that was next door to our accommodations The Hotel Batha ($45). The museum is an old mansion refurbished and housing a nice collection of pottery and woodwork. But the nicest thing about the museum is how quiet it is in the courtyard, which has an extensive garden, and is full of birds. After the museum we met up with our tour guide Mohamed Idrissi (066 13 53 44). He was such a nice man and very knowledgeable. His English was good and his French was excellent so we communicated very well. He took us to areas we would have never found on our own and made wonderful restaurant recommendations.

"Desert and the Gorges"

After Fes we made the exhausting drive to the desert in Merzouga. The drive was interesting and the people friendly always waving and plenty of police which were helpful when directions were needed. In the desert we stayed at Kanz Erremal (www.kanzerremal.com) which is a traditional Kasbah hotel with a restaurant. All of the hotels in the area offer half board because there isn’t really any other restaurants to eat at. The food at our hotel was simple, fresh and delicious but the really great thing about this hotel was that it was small and the staff was so nice. They all introduced themselves were genuinely interested in us and happy to share about themselves. We spent a night in the desert with Bahra the “chef du chemin” and it was a highlight of the trip. We were able to leave our luggage in our room the night we were out in the desert and did not have to pay for it. The cost of the desert night was $35 per person; we rode the camels out for 2 hours while Bahra led the way on foot (barefoot at that). We got there at sunset and set up camp, after that Barah prepared a wonderful meal of Moroccan salad, grilled vegetables, meat and fruit for dessert it was magical. There was a Berber tent but we chose to sleep under the stars and I awoke in time to watch the sunrise over the Sahara. After breakfast we helped Bahra pack up camp and got back on the camel for the ride back to the hotel. I think part of what made our night so special was that Bahra was such an amazing man and that it was just George and I with him. At the hotel Tombuktu which was close to our hotel the groups going out in the desert had 10 to 15 people in them, we felt like we had the Sahara to ourselves. The one other special thing we did in Merzouga was going to Hamilia to listen to their traditional Sudanese music. They were the most gracious people and their music so haunting and beautiful. A definite must see. By the way they sang only for three other people and us and they did not ask for anything in return.

After the desert we drove to the Todra Gorge this drive took us through some insanely busy market days. Thankfully our car was small because the roads were so packed with people, animals, merchandise, and other vehicles. There was a lot of kids who came up to the car wanting candies and pens and I felt bad for them but it’s hard to give one child something because within seconds there will be twenty. The todra gorge was such a change from the desert it was cool and damp and green! It was busy and full of tour buses but the evenings were nice and quiet. We tried to hike up to one of the Berber villages from the gorge but we got to too tired. Those women who do that trek everyday with their donkeys and there babies tied to their back just to get water have all my respect that is one tough way to live. Not to mention they must get tired of being stared at like they are an exhibit from the zoo.

We stayed in the Todra Gorge for just one night before heading to Ouarzazate. But I must mention this one exceptionally good restaurant we found on the way to the Dades Gorge. It was called cafe Panorama and he had only been open for a couple of months. When we ordered our salad and Berber omelet he headed off to cook it all from scratch so it did take a while but it was so worth the wait! It cost about$5 dollars but we gave him $15 because the food was that good not to mention the view was great and the place was spotless as were the washrooms. Unfortunately we were his only customers but I hope other people discover him.

"Ouazazarte and Marrakech"

Ouarzazate was a much more modern place and the people appeared to better off fiancially. There are more fancy western style hotels here, we stayed at the Riad Salam. This hotel had all the western amenities but appeared to be in an old Kasbah. It had a nightclub, spa and large outdoor pool, we paid $60. In Ouarzazate we took a tour of the old Kasbah that UNESCO is renovating it was interesting but take the tour otherwise you are just looking at empty rooms. Our guide also took us a tour of the small medina next to the Kasbah and he helped us negotiate for and old lamp.

From Ouarzazate we were going to Marrakech but made a stop in Ait Benhaddou. The site was nice but we liked the Kasbah in Ouarzazte better, although this is larger and scenery around it is impressive. We had a local guy as our guide his name is Mustafa and he was very friendly with me, actually too friendly. He wanted hold my hand all time and have my husband take pictures of us anyway he was harmless. The rest of the drive to Marrakech was challenging through the mountains but once again the roads were in good shape.

Once we got to Marrakech we had a horrible time finding our riad, the streets around the medina are chaos. We finally did manage to find the way to our place with the help of nice man and his cell phone. The struggle was worth it our riad was amazing especially for our price of 56 Euro. We had the blue suite that was beautiful with a huge bathroom it really looked like a fairy tale. Najib the caretaker was super nice as were the other guests two of who came to the riad once a month from France. Najib made breakfast each morning with hand squeezed orange juice and homemade crepes. We had two memorable suppers and one that was not so in Marrakech. We ate at one of the food stalls in Jemaa el-Fna which was cheap, fresh and good. We also ate at the Argana restaurant overlooking the Place one night and it was terrible. Our final night we ate at Al Fassia which was more high end and completely run by women and the quality was really top notch even though my vegetarian tangine had a chicken bone in it.

"Tamarghant to Essouira"

From Marrakech we were off to Agadir the drive was about 3.5 hours; we picked up policeman who was hitchhiking for part of the ride. We were staying in Tamarghant about 15 km north of Agadir at a surf camp. The camp is called EnDo Surf, it’s owned by two German guys Gerritt and Stefan. The camp was a blast except there was only 2 bathrooms, I hate sharing a bathroom! The food helped to make up for it though, there was two young Moroccan guys who were the cooks and they did a great job. The beaches in Morocco were wide, sandy and deserted but unfortunately they were quite dirty, it looked like people just dumped their garbage. The other problem was people steal everything, even your flip-flops and food. We had to hide everything in the rocks and then keep an eye that no one was snooping around. At Tamri another beach we surfed that’s even farther north there’s a gang of kids who charge you for parking and if you refuse to pay they’ll key your car or slash your tires it was very frustrating. It was both of our first times to try surfing and we had a great time Gerritt and the other two guys he had working for him Johannes and Jan were very supportive.

After Tamaraghant we were off to Essaouira, the drive was about 2.5 hours again the road was good but went through a lot of villages so you couldn't make good time. In Ess we stayed at the Villa Quieta it was a beautiful riad that’s been redone by the original owners although they are currently thinking about moving to Montreal. We had the jr suite for two nights for $85 then we stayed in double room for 2 nights at $65. We were a little far from the medina but across the street from the beach. You could walk to the medina in about 15 minutes or drive in about 3 minutes and a taxi cost about $.60. We enjoyed Ess the beach is beautiful but windy, the medina is fairly clean and a more manageable size than say Fes. Also the food was very good everywhere we ate. The first night we got in late and at the Sofitel’s beach restaurant called Cote du Plage and the food wasn’t cheap but it was superb. I can’t recall the name of the other restaurants but all the food was great, as was the breakfast at our hotel. In Ess we also want horseback riding on the beach, I ride horses professionally and my husband has been riding for a year and we had a blast. The horses were well cared for and very sure footed which was good because we went over some very slippery rocks on the way to the sand. We trotted and cantered and rode through the water it was fun.

"The Last Night in Casa"

fter Ess we went back to Casa for our last before heading home, the drive was about 4.5 hours and we found our hotel with relative ease. After checking in we had to return the car downtown which was a little tricky to find. With that completed we went for a walk through the medina before going back to the hotel. This was when we had our only real negative experience of the trip, upon entering the medina we were approached by a man who was trying to engage us in a conversation, we assumed he wanted to be our guide. I walked ahead while my husband politely tried to get him to leave us alone, well he didn’t like my behavior and told me how rude and unkind I was, both my husband I stayed pretty calm and I asked him again to please leave us alone. Well things started to go downhill quickly then because he started to threaten rape me and there was no one around us in that part of the Medina. Thankfully I spotted a well-dressed Moroccan woman with a shopping bag I went in her direction figuring I would find the market and commercial area of the medina which thankfully I did. Meanwhile he still spitting obscenities in my face and my husband was saying stuff back so I pulled him into a store knowing he wouldn’t follow us so we could reorganize. I felt I knew the way out of the medina so we decided to go for it and of course he was waiting for us a little ways ahead that was when he reached behind himself and told me he was going to kill me. So I took a step back and said loud and clear “you wanna kill me lets go kill me now” I was trying to draw attention knowing that there’s often Moroccan police undercover in the Medinas. Although no police came everyone stopped and stared and the crazy man backed off in a hurry and we spotted the way out. There was a policeman right outside the door but we did not tell him what happened we just hopped in a cab and went to the hotel. I still wonder if we should have told the policeman and gone after him. But even with having my life threatened we had an amazing time and would go back in a heartbeat.

Riad Ouarzazate, Dar Rita Hotel Ouarzazate MoroccoRiad Ouarzazate, Dar Rita Hotel Ouarzazate Morocco

Hotels In Casablanca

by Karen10019

Hello All !

I am going to Maroc in May, primarily for the fez festival; however, while I am there, I plan to travel around a bit.
SO.. here is the question,

My first night, i am planning on staying in Casa. Where is the best place to stay?
I love the beach and I am looking for a hotel on the OCEAN. So far Hotel riad Salam seems to keep coming up. Is it on the water? { I want to fall out on to the sand] Is there anything else that might fit this description?

Thank you for reading this and I hope you can help.

Be well
Karen

Re: Hotels In Casablanca

by Ainzerka

The Hotel Terminus is right across the street from the Voyageurs train station. (I have no financial interest in it.)

Comments