Place Syrte, Rue Idriss Al Akbar, Oujda, 60000, Morocco

Around OudjaAround Oudja

Inside The MedinaInside The Medina

1st Class train1st Class train

1st Class train1st Class train

what is there to do any tips?

by tigeresscub

it seems not alot has been said about this area, anyone been there if so plz tell me about it

RE: what is there to do any tips?

by TheLongTone

I passed through Oujda on the way to figug a couple of years ago & spent two or three pleasant days in Oujda.

There isn't anything in partcular to do, but it's lively enough and almost entirely free from the hustlers & scam artists so omnipresent in much of Morocco. I think a couple of guys half-heartedly asked me if I wanted to exchang money: otherwise I walked from the train station ito the town cewntre (500M?)unmolested. I thought it was a most civiised town, some nice Art Deco builings, great souk (great selection of olives)

Travel Tips for Oujda

Oujda

by earthflyer

Oudja
The largest city in eastern Morocco is a lively clean modern university town sitting on the border of Algeria. The border crossing here closed in 1995 and there are no plans to re-open it in the near future.

My only regret here is not spending enough time to look around, I only stayed one night here but did get a look around the medina before the sun went down. The next morning I took the early morning train to Taza.

Destinations In Morocco

BERKANE
Zegzel Gorge

OUJDA

by TheLongTone

"A town with its own business to mind"

The first thing you'll notice about Oujda is tha virtual absence of the hustlers, touts and scam artists so prevalant elsewhere in Moroco. I walked the kilometer or so from the train station to the centre of town without more molestation than a couple of blokes half-heartedly asking me if I wanted to change money. Oujda is not on the tourist trail. Since the closure of the border with Algeria more than a decade ago it isn't on the trail to anywhere, except South to Bourfa and Figuig. This was my reason for passing through.

Nevertheless Oujda in no way feels like a backwater. It's lively (being a university town must help) without being at all frantic. What is extraordinary about Oujda is that it's ordinary: full of ordinary Moroccans getting on with their lives and leaving you in peace to drink your mint tea and watch.

"By the medina walls"

"Moroccan Art Deco"

Chicken tonight

"buying the chicken"

My visit to Oudja was enlivened by an invitation to dinner.

I met, or was picked up by. Aladdin at the Arsenal cafe. Please have dinner with me. An invitation to dinner is an honour and can't be passed up, especially since Moroccan cuisine does not lend itself to the exingencies of reataurant cookery. Thye answer had to be 'Yes'

Comments