156 Derb Lakram Talaa Kebira, Fes, 30110, Morocco

The Palace gatesThe Palace gates

sleeping areasleeping area

Public Water FountainPublic Water Fountain

The Bab Bou Jeloud Gate, Medina, FesThe Bab Bou Jeloud Gate, Medina, Fes

travel time to tangier from fez

by browneyegirls

Can anyone tell me how long a train takes from fez to tangier? are they frequent?

I will be in fez for a day and i am not sure whether to stay overnight there, or in tangier. Where is nicer to stay out of fez or tangier?

i will then travel on ferry to algecrias ( 2hrs), then take a 4 hr trin journey to malaga. i want to get to malaga at a reasonable hr

by Paul2001

Fez is my favourite city in Morocco. Therefore I obvious think that it is a better place to stay than Tangiers. The train trip is about 4 hours and there are about 3 or 4 trains a day. I was surprised by Moroccan train travel which was very pleasant and good way to meet the locals.

by aajarm

From everything I have heard Fez is the better choice to stay overnight. There are four to five trains a day and the trip takes about four hours. Try this site for a map,timetable and pdf schedule you can download.
Have fun.

by le_routard

hi, i know its probably a bit late but i did the exact same journey, however we stayed overnight in tarifa and took a oach to malaga from la linea as it is cheaper. we needed to do it in 2 days as our flights were at 7.30, so unless you have very late flights i would not try and get back in one day, unless you time it perfectly. our coach journey was about 3 hours to torremelinos (which is closer to malaga airport than malaga itself!) then u may need a bus or a taxi to take you to the airport.

by JamalMorelli

The answer to the time question is about five hours. I'm biased, being a Fassi, but I'll say, if you want the unforgetable magic trip, go to Fes. It is the oldest medivael city standing (1300+ years!) Tangier can be unforgetable too...but not in the good way.
Also - the train - buy first class - it's not expensive, and it's the only way to make sure you have a seat.

Travel Tips for Fes

tea

by iaint

A key component of Moroccan life!

This should be on all my Moroccan pages, but Fes will have to do because that's where the photos were taken.

I arrived at my riad before my room was ready, so I was offered mint tea on the sunny roof terrace while I waited.

Actually, I'd rather have dropped my bags and gone for lunch, but one of the things you have to learn about Morocco is to just give yourself up to doing things their way. If you do you'll have more fun and be the better for it. Trust me...

You will also be offered mint tea in shops - all part of the trading process.

You can ask for it without sugar if you prefer.

You will also notice how many tea houses there are, and that they're always busy!

Berber Carpets & Rugs In High Atlas Mountains

by Mikebb

As we drove through the villages I managed to take this photo of carpets belonging to a local house being left to dry after being washed. Something we would never see at home, but common place in Morocco. These carpets would be luxury items in our homes but here in Morocco are treated as common everyday items.

We actually purchased a hall runner rug in Marrakech and are yet to attempt to hand wash such a precious carpet.

Rooftop Cafe - Place an-Nejjarine

by barryg23

The rooftop cafe of the museum at Place an-Nejjarine is a nice place to stop for a mint-tea or coffee, away from the noise and chaos of the medina. The cafe itself is indoors though you can wander out on to the roof to have a look out across the medina.

Accommodation Within The Medina

by Mikebb

Many people wish to experience living within the medina, it certainly would be an experience in a lifetime. I understand there is plenty of accommodation available and as we walked through the medina we sighted several signs.

As we were on a 13 day tour our accommodation was arranged by the tour company 10 minutes drive from the Medina. Phone numbers:

Dar Bouananir 055 63 72 82
Pension Kawtar 035 7401 72

Jardins de Boujeloud: A Shady Hideaway

by Bernhadette

You can take a pleasant rest in the Jardins de Boujeloud ("Jardins de la Marche Verte") in Fès El Djedid, if you are exhausted from your tour. You can sit in one of the shady little alleys, at the pond or near the little channels that serve as irrigation for the gardens. Uncommon for Morocco is the bamboo grove that covers a corner of the parc.

The Jardins de Boujeloud are bordered by the Avenue des Francais and the Rue de l'Unesco. It's just within a stone's throw of the Dar Batha Museum.

Opening hours: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Comments