Riad Jamai

31 oued lahriki, sidi boujida, Fes, 30000, Morocco
Riad Jamai
Booking.com Expedia.com

More about Fes

Drying the skinsDrying the skins

Carpet and Train ScamCarpet and Train Scam

Metal Crafts On Display & For SaleMetal Crafts On Display & For Sale

fabulous moroccan platesfabulous moroccan plates

HOUSEMATE WANTED!!

by Karen10019

Hello, I am going to the Fez festival as part of my trip to Morocco. I rented a house and my friend decided to bail out on me! {She decided to get married... go Figure ;-) }

I am looking for a housemate to share the house with during the Fes festival. I would prefer to share the house with one other person, Male or female with a good attitude and a young mind.

I am staying in a small 18th century traditional Moroccan house [dar] in the heart of the Fes medina, in the medieval quarter. We have the complete house to ourselves. It is four levels around a small central court. We have a kitchen, a bathroom, and a central court. Around the courtyard are two salons on the first floor and two more on the second. In the two large rooms are double beds, and a single bed in one of the small rooms.

You can contact me at the VT email if you are interested.

Be well
Karen

Re: HOUSEMATE WANTED!!

by time4adventure

Hi, I am goint ot Morroco this summer with my boyfriend and we are interested to stay in Fez for some days. Which days exactly is th festival? We are going to Morroco in july. We come to see the city and we are quite "proper" people.
// The couple

Re: Re: HOUSEMATE WANTED!!

by Karen10019

Hi, I just came back from Morooco. Fez is a great place to stay IF you stay in or VERY near the medina. Funduq Batha was the closest hotel I notices on the edge of the old medina; however, look into renting a house in the medina if you can. it costs the same as a hotel room.

have fun!!!!!

be well
Karen

Re: HOUSEMATE WANTED!!

by maroc_boy

hey karen
how are u doing
yeah ur welcom in my home and my familly also
answer me if u are intersting

Travel Tips for Fes

Cover up a little

by 78Eva

Morocco is in many way both a conservative and very westernized country. Almost all extremes can be found. You'll find women in jellabahs, completey veiled, just hijab, or in modern skin-tight clothing.
In general, you don't have to dress too conservatively. You'll get hassled in Fes no matter whether you are covered up a lot or not. They will recognize that you're a foreigner, and that's enough.
However, there are still degrees of hassling. Occasionally in Fes, you will see groups of foreign girls wearing mini-skirts and spaghetti strap shirts, i.e. exactly as they would be dressed in their own countries. This is not suitable and you will also feel the effect of it quickly. I never wore as little as this, but still noticed that the hassling increased even if wore short sleeves or some skin on my legs showed at all.
Basically I wore long trousers or skirts and long sleeves. If it's hot, just wear light tunics or blouses - that way you're covered up but don't get too hot. It'll just get you a lot more respect and make it easier to travel.

Beni Mellal

by keeweechic

Beni Mellal sits at the foot of Mount Tassemit and is the capital city of the Tadla-Azilal region. You will pass through this area on the way to Fez from Marrakech. There is a restaurant and café on the highway which also has a mineral shop attached to it.

Quality food with a French twist

by kit_mc about Restaurant La Cheminee

From the outside this restaurant doesn't look anything special and inside it perhaps lacks a bit of atmosphere, but a friend of mine who currently lives in Morocco took us here as it served alcohol and good food. The LP guidebook description of this place is that of a classy French Brasserie style restaurant. Frankly, that's pushing it a bit. The interior is more like being in someone's 1970's style living room. And not a sign of the bowties mentioned by LP...

While the LP description of the surroundings might not be accurate, and the atmosphere a little on the grey/brown side, nevertheless, the service is very attentive indeed and the food is excellent, although you do pay for this, the restaurant being more costly than average. In fact we returned here on the last night in Morocco and I was relieved to discover that both the service and quality of food were consistent on both occasions.

The first occasion we ate here (a Tuesday) we were the only people in the restaurant most of the evening. The second time (a Friday) the place was busier though still quiet and all the clientele were tourists! On both occasions I had the beef tagine with prunes, very nice meat, virtually no fat and no bone at all. I'd give this a very good thumbs up. Very rich, syrupy and sweet, so make sure you like prunes! I also had the Moroccan soup, which tasted more like a nice minestrone than the (very nice) Moroccan soups I'd had elsewhere.

Other good dishes eaten by my dining partners included tagine of Kefta meatballs with an egg in it, chicken and lemon tagine and beef stroganoff.

Mains are in the region of 75 dh, starters 35, bottle of Moroccan wine from 85 dhiram upwards.

Fes Jdid - the "Lower Ninth Ward" of Fes

by JamalMorelli

Don't miss this area of Fes - It's edgy, faster paced, very colorful. I lived near half my life in New Orleans...and Fes Jdid has that kind of beat - funky, a bit rude, fresh. Just wander around the main street a bit - I love the harira or bsaara stalls, though that's about it for me and the street food. There are alot of stoned musicians that hang out near Bab Smaraine, drinking coffee, people watching, waiting for the night which is their domain. Get yourself invited to a jam session in Fes Jdid - the wild side of Fes.

Warning - by wild side, I don't mean doing x with people your own skin color all night to club music. I mean wild. Don't go if you aren't up for a real adventure.

Some tools -

Morocco
Learn Arabic
Bargaining pt 1

Photos by Jamal Morelli, uploaded at Studio Shamharush

Photos by Jamal Morelli, uploaded at Studio Shamharush

Karaouyine Mosque

by MichaelFalk1969

This mosque - roughly at the end of the Rue Talaa Khebira - is one of the oldest mosques in the islamic world, built in 859 and named after Tunisian refugees from the town of Kairouan. At the same time this mosque was a famous university which hosted scholars like Averroes and Ibn Chaldun. Unfortunately not open to the "nonbelievers", but you can peek in through the open doors and they seem not to mind if you take discreet pictures.

Comments