Bab Guissa, Fes, 30000, Morocco

Booking.com TabletHotels.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

Sofitel Palais Jamai Hotel

At the foot of one of the hills surround Fez is the Sofitel Palais Jamai Hotel, a former Palace. It was built in 1879 and has 5 levels comprising 134 rooms each with air conditioning, mini bar, inroom safe, internet connection and satellite TV. The hotel also a heated outdoor pool, sauna, spa and steam room, 3 restaurants and bars. The whole property is surrounded by beautiful Andalusian gardens.

• Great if you can overcome the staff

You will stay here because of the architecture, the history, and the view. All are wonderful. I spent one night on the "Medina side" and one night on the other side and both views were fantastic. The hotel is decorated in classic Moroccan architecture and art, and is very peaceful. It does overlook the medina, but is not walking distance to any shopping, dining or drinking establishments, which is a bit inconvenient. The desk staff are certainly the downside to this hotel. One look at me with my backpack put them into full snob mode. Apparently, the fact that I was paying for this hotel didn't matter when I arrived in Fes via train and didn't look the part of the luxury traveler. I didn't visit any other hotels in Fes, so I have nothing to compare this too, but If I were to do it again, I would stay in a Riad.

Directions: Overlooks the Medina in Fes

• Myxlplix's Profile Photo

Fes' most beautiful hotel

I decided to splurge a little in Fes, Morocco, and I could not have been more satisfied than the amazing stay thay I had at the Palais Jamais Hotel. For the extra money, you live in complete relaxation & luxury, with clean, modern rooms, amazing restaurants, a spa, a pool, and fantastic service. Architecturally, the hotel was an old palace converted into a hotel. The rooms, lobby, gardens, & atmosphere are romantic, exotic, & worth your time & money.

Unique Quality: The Palace was built in 1879 by Mohammed Jamot, Grand Vizir to Sultan Moulay Hassan I (1830-1894) and embodies the Arabian Moorish style.

• JamalMorelli's Profile Photo

I'm Afraid So - Yes... GO SOFITEL

Look - I know I will lose points with my friends who are looking to do their trip on a budget - but let's say you wanted to completely drown yourself in luxury. Here you go - Sofitel (of course, no matter what city) has all the bases covered - music, incredible food (by comparison to alot of restaurants in Fes - yes) and just spot on service with a English fluent staff.

I will say (besides the mainstay of Hotel Batha in the medina) that until I bought my place in Fes - this was the number one self-spoiler to duck into.

One thing - it is bloody expensive. And if wasn't so damn good you'd feel like a chump shelling all that money out...

Unique Quality: Even though everything was great - I feel like the service was the best and most memorable. It was a time before I spoke arabic and everyone was so helpful... I would go back just to say hi around the Eid and Ramadan....

Directions: You are still close to the action - near the Sooq Henna and the Leatherworks - see other parts of my Fes page...

More about Sofitel Palais Jamai Fes Hotel

Palais Jamai Hotel

by talesfromnik about Palais Jamai Hotel

A former palace, there are DEEP bathtubs, a lovely outdoor lunch and breakfast area, swimming pool, botiques and piano bar with 'Sam'. Many special touches. You can check your email using their guest computer. This requires a long trek through several floors and rooms and a French keyboard. Works fine if you go to a postcard site -- like here. The waiter hugged and kissed me here. What can I say?

Accomodation is not a problem...

by DanielF

Accomodation is not a problem in Morocco. The choice is really very big: from unexpensive pensions to luxury palaces like La Mamounia in Casablanca or the Palais Jamai in Fes. There are also some charming hotels in tourist resorts like Essawira or Marrakesh and, of course, international big hotels in Casablanca, Rabat, Agadir and Marrakesh.

Yep, I like palaces

by marie415 about Palais Jamai, Fes

Expensive but oh so close to the Medina. Pool is smallish but nice. Go there for drinks even if you are not staying.

Palais JamaiPalais Jamai

Morocco or Tunisia for 8 days?

by ozeagle

I have an opportunity to spend 8 days for a short holiday after visiting France for a conference. I am trying to decide between Tunisia or Morocco. I would like to experience the local culture and would consider a package tour or a DIY holiday..... I am a 33 year-old single male. Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks.

Ozeagle

RE: Morocco or Tunisia for 8 days?

by grovier

Hi... Tunisia is cheaper and not so interesting than Morocco. I know both, but I prefer Morocco.
Of course its a large country but its more varied than Tunisia...In 8 days its difficult to travel all around Marocco, but its enough for visiting Tunisia...Sidi Bousaid, carthage, Tunis, Monastir and a jomp in the south seems to give you a good vision of the country.
On the other hand you can make only a part of Morocco, Rabat, Meknes, Fes, Volubilis Tetouan and Tanger for instance or a jump to Marrakech...Later you will return and spend your time in the south and the atlantic coast.

RE: RE: Morocco or Tunisia for 8 days?

by grovier

Rabat is not very interesting at all...but there is a place called"Kasbah des oudaias" wich is an old part of the town closed by ramparts and a small arab coffee over the river...drink a mentholed tea...

RE: RE: Morocco or Tunisia for 8 days?

by grovier

Agadir is not interesting, just for spending a night...Fes is wonderful, as Marrakech...
If you go in Marrakech, you have to go dining in a riad calle"Dar Fes", all taximen know that place, its one of the best restaurants in marrakech...You can dine too on Djeme el fna place where the food is very good.
In Fes , the best place is the "Palais Jamai"...but its expansive, and wonderful.

Comments