28 lotissement Tingis, Tangier, 90000, Morocco
Expedia.com Travelocity Hotels.com

More about Tangier

Place de la casbaPlace de la casba

ApartmentsApartments

Moroccan EntertainersMoroccan Entertainers

The bus to TetouanThe bus to Tetouan

Where can I buy African masks/carvings in Northern Morroco?

by liam_allen73

I'm travelling through Spain from UK down to northern Morroco and would like any information on where I can buy African masks or carvings. I'm not really into the usual touristy masks which look brand new and mass produced. Instead I'm looking for authentic looking ones, that look like they have a story to tell. They don't necessarily have to be old (although it's a bonus if they are) as long as they look like they are aged.
Thanks in advance for any information!!

P.S. I'm going on Sunday 14th Feb 2010...not much notice I know!

by liam_allen73

That's good to know! Problem is...we will only be in Morocco for 1 day, 2 at most. So I need to find somewhere that has them ready to sell. I won't have the time to ask someone to make me one, then collect it later. I'd like to buy a few while I'm there, I managed to get some beautiful masks in Capetown a few years ago. I've been fascinated by them ever since. So does anyone know of a stall, or shop near to Ceuta that I could find what I'm looking for? Has anyone bought masks like this before? How much did they pay? I am looking forward to a good haggle! No one haggles for products in the UK...unless it's for a car.

by Belsaita

"African masks" are not something I would look for in Morocco, these have nothing to do with Moroccan culture.

by TheLongTone

I've never noticed african masks being sold in Morocco even further south.

by windcity

Hand carved masks can be found anywhere there are tourists. They are not "African" in the true sense but they are made in Morocco, often they are made from Olive, Lemon or Thuya wood. I wouldn't be surprised to find them in the Medina in Tanger. Haggle hard !

by angiebabe

Hi ive seen them in the souks of Marrakech - they are not traditiona Moroccan but usualy brought up from subsahara etc 0r as Windcity says made by artisans for the tourist market.
so you will probably come across shops with more typically African stuff in Tangier too

Travel Tips for Tangier

A LITTLE BIT ABOUT TANGIER

by LoriPori

Located in Northern Africa, TANGIER is across the Strait of Gibraltar from Spain. The location of Tangier at the crossroads of Europe and Africa has made it an important port and commercial center.
There are three official languages, French, Spanish and Arabic. The city of Tangier is a mixture of the old and the new. The old part of the city, called the Kasbah, is walled and has white houses and narrow winding streets. The new European section is modern and luxurious. One of the modern buildings we passed on our bus tour, is the Moroccan National Assembly building, pictured in the extra pics section.

SNAKE CHARMERS

by LoriPori

After our walking tour ,we came upon a clearing in a square and there waiting for us were the SNAKE CHARMERS. I always thought a snake charmer coaxed a snake out of a basket with music. These charmers pulled snakes out of a box to the sound of a beating drum and invited anyone to put the snake around your neck and take a picture. There were a few takers, including Hans who had some fun with it. After , the basket went around to gather any donations.

Do I need a visa to enter?

by Carmela71

Most of the nationalities (european countries, USA, Canada, NZ, etc for mroe details check at the Moroccan Embassy) do not need a visa to enter in Morocco as tourists, you normally need a valid passport with more than 6 months expire date,

If you come by ferry, check for a long queue, that the line to get your passport stamped, it will include a number, if you come back to Morocco, you will only have to show that number as they have registered you.

A Difference in Time Too

by Geoff_Wright

I hadn't realised, but Morocco is one hour behind Spain when it comes to clock time. So as not to confuse us, our tour guide told us to keep our watches set to Spanish time, then we would all be reading from the same 'song sheet'!

Bartering for goods

by sparkieplug24

In Tangier all the people who sell the goods will try and sell you there stuff at a over inflated prices. They know that you wont give them the first price they ask but they will try anyway and then they will barter with you to get you to buy the stuff. My advice is if you dont think something is worth more that say 5 euros it probably isnt dont pay more than you intended stick to your guns.

Comments