20 rue Gourna, Kasbah, Medina, Tangier, Morocco

Costs 84% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Tangier

Coastline at TangierCoastline at Tangier

HoardingHoarding

Our Mint Tea Bein Poured - A traditional CupperOur Mint Tea Bein Poured - A traditional Cupper

The HerboristThe Herborist

Ferries from South Spain to Morocco

by deirdrejen

Have been trying to find updated information about ferries from Southern Spain to Tangier, Morocco ..... but haven't got very far (maybe I haven't been looking on correct sites).

Thinking of flying to South Spain and then getting a ferry to Tangier, Morocco around end March / early April 2010. So far have only got vague information and cannot find any timetables (or prices in euros) past March on any of the sites I've looked on.

Would appreciate information from anyone who's travelled there from Southern Spain in the past year, and good informative websites for same.

Thanks!

by Ginda

We bought our tickets at the port in Agiceras, Spain. Took the ferry to Tangier, Morocco. I don't know where in So. Spain you are flying into, but trains are very convenient. Algiceras is about an hour south of Ronda. If you fly to Gibraltar, then you just take a bus back to Algeciras port(10min).
I don't have any websites to recommend.Enjoy the sites and food in Tangier!!

by liam_allen73

Hi there, I'm looking to do the same this weekend. I found this website really useful, it has prices, times etc. Apparently Tangier is the best place to arrive if on foot as it's less manic. If you're travelling by car then most people suggest Ceuta as the better option.
Enjoy :-)

by liam_allen73

Enjoy :-)

by deirdrejen

Thanks for info. Appreciate it. Flying into Malaga so will look at buses to get to ferry port.

by deirdrejen

Great - will have a browse through that website. Really want to see Morocco so hopefully will get there soon! Thanks for replying.

by patsy0

We have just come back from a week in Spain. We went on a day trip to Tangier from the port of Tariffa. We booked on the internet with Viatours, Spain and were picked up from our resort in Fuengirola and transported by coach, It took 2 hours to the port, the ferry crossing was only 40 mins. The trip included a lovely lunch and was good value.

by patsy0

Sorry, error in spelling of the tour company on last reply - it is VIATOR, Spain.

by deirdrejen

Again thanks for that info. Envy you being away!!! Will get there soon hopefully.

Travel Tips for Tangier

Tangier's links to the movie Casablanca

by barryg23

Many fans of the movie "Casablanca" go to that city expecting a place akin to what they see in the film (despite the fact it was made in a Hollywood studio) and come away disappointed when they realise it couldn't be more different.

However, Tangier has some interesting links to the movie. "Rick's Café Américain" was modeled after Hotel El Minzah in Tangier while the opening shot of the movie features Tangier rather than Casablanca. I have also read somewhere that although the play on which the movie is based ("They all come to Rick's" was actually set in Casablanca, it was a Casablanca modelled on Tangier.

The image of a black market, corrupt police, locals willing to help for a price, etc does seem accurate for Tangier - even today! So perhaps fans of the movie should try Tangier rather than Casablanca.

Second visit August 2005

by Carmela71

This trip was just a short break for our anniversary, 3 great years together and we were looking for something nearby, not too expensive and relax. First we were looking for a cruise but there were not cabins free in the one we liked, then I remember Tangier, I wanted to show Stacy for a long, long time and this was the best moment.

I phoned Olga (my best friend) that had been living there for suggestions and we found ourselves there in less than a week.

A great experience and I know we will be back.

Sending your Cards

by Geoff_Wright

We had hoped to send some post cards from Tangier, and at a couple of points on our guided tour there were places where you could buy post cards and stamps. One Euro buys you 4 cards, which is about the same as in Spain. I think you'll pay over the odds for the postage stamps though, but you'll have no choice if you want Moroccan stamps.

The only time we could write our cards was during the lunch stop in the Restaurant. As the lunch was rather hurried, you'll be limited to how many cards you can write. OK then, so you've written your cards from Tangier. Where do you post them? No post boxes to be seen. We gave our cards to our Moroccan Guide, Mohammed, and a couple of Euros for his helpfulness, and wondered if the cards would ever arrive. InshaAllah, they will!
Well, it took 3 weeks, but VT Member 'gabynicolae', from Romania, has received his. And, again it took 3 weeks, but Phildeni in Oregon got his too.

I had one spare stamp, and wrote a card on the boat back to Spain to the VT Staff. I handed the stamped card to one of the Stewards on the boat, with yet another Euro, and he agreed to post it. We'll see, haha.

Update on the above: The card did arrive with the VT Staff. So now you know you can trust those nice Moroccan guys too, LOL.

PUERTO DE TARIFA -- PORT OF TARIFA

by LoriPori

As Tarifa is a mere 13 km or 8 miles from the shores of North Africa, spectacular views of the Rif Mountains of Africa can be seen across the water.TARIFA is the southern-most tip of Europe, where the Mediterranean Sea meets the Atlantic Ocean.
As we Headed back by ferry to Tarifa, we had the good fortune to have a wonderful sunset over the sea. I tried to capture the moment as we sailed into the PUERTO DE TARIFA.
We passed the Castillo de Guzman El Bueno - The ruins of a 13th century castle.
Also there was an awesome jetferry in the harbour - the Hanse Jet.

Henna Ladies

by Urban_Kitten

"Henna ladies" (as I like to call them) are ubiquitous in Morocco. Often they will aggressively grab your hand in an effort to start the hennaing process before you can say "no" or strike a price. I found that the best way to deal with this is to have your hands hennaed at the very first opportunity (either back home or when you first land in Morocco). When a Henna Lady grabs your hand and sees that someone has beaten her to you, she'll back off immediatel ... it's easier than saying no over & over again.

Comments