36 Rue Dar El Baroud, Tangier, Morocco

Satisfaction Average

Costs 27% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• stevemt's Profile Photo

An Old Gracious Lady

This hotel, set n the Medina, on a cliff top (small cliff top) overlooking the port, is a grand old lady gone slightly to seed,

Obviously it was one of the top hotels in it's day.

It is still comeftable, very central, and so easy to get to the ferries that it is worth staying here.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

a night in a place with history

This is an old hotel on the hill overlooking the ferry terminal, where Paul Bowles and otehr notables have stayed in the past, its well recommended even if just for its location!

Pity VT recognises on its dropdown choices for hotels the INtercontinental and not the ones that are generally recommmended to independent travellers looking for an interesting experience!!

The Lonely Planet is a good guidebook to go for accommodation recommendations - as is also the Lonely Planet on both Morocco or its for Europe version which includes Morocco.

• TheLongTone's Profile Photo

Faded grandeur

Built in 1865, the Hotel Continental used to be THE place to stay in Tangier, and boasts an impressive guest-list. It's come down in the world since then, but is still a great place to stay. I can't say my room was particularly impressive (as a single traveller I often end up in shoeboxes), but it did have a sea view and in all the Hotel Continental offers a glimpse of a vanishd world at a remarkably low price: my room cost around DH 250 per night with breakfast. Having your breakfast on the terrace overlooking the harbour is reason enough to stay here, even if Tangier was doing its level best to look like Dover when I was there.

Directions: Just inside the walled Medina and overlooking the harbour, it's difficult to miss if you arrive by sea.

• traveloturc's Profile Photo

Feel Tangier

This hotel is Tangier.Its a little old and maybe a little far from your expectations but I think that this is the best hotel to stay in the city.You will feel the city tasting your cofee and watching the city from the balcony of the hotel .

• midnight_mike's Profile Photo

Decent hotel, close to ferry terminal

The Hotel Continental was once a fabulous place to stay many years ago. It looks like a palace that has now fallen into disrepair. If you are looking for a place to stay that is close to the ferry, then stay here. I arrived in Morocco late at night; my plan was to get on the first train to Fes the next morning. When I came back from Fes, I stayed here again as there were no more ferries to Spain until the next morning. The first night I spent there my room had a view of the port and the Atlantic Ocean. It has a beautiful terrace. I paid about 27 Euro each night. It is clean, but not spotless. Good place for budget travelers. Recommended by Rick Steves. The man at the front desk spoke French and Arabic. They accept payment in Euros.

Directions: From the ferry, follow the road two blocks. Once at the hill, follow the first road going up the for about a block. The gate for the hotel will be on the right. It takes a total of five minutes to walk there.

• Carmela71's Profile Photo

The Oldest hotel in Tangier

This was a place I always wanted to stay, the most famous hotel in Tangier, the oldest one, rich in history, maybe not in the best moment now, even if it has been renovate, but an incredible experience as you will see in the next tips and travelogues.

Even if from outside it does not look so exciting and the first experience (as many times happens in Morocco) is not the best one, inside it is a palace, decoration, history ....

Really deserves to spend a night there!!

We got a great price from Spain for this hotel with the vouchers of hotelplus (www.hotelplus) 50 euros per night half board for a double room. I had used before bancotel vouchers, but it was my first time with them and I founded very comfortable, the only little detail I did not like is that they do not send to the hotel the name of the person that reserves, only that there is a reservation with them.

• Carmela71's Profile Photo

Hotel Continental

Normally when we travel I always look for good hotels (as many stars as possible with as many silly things for the bathroom LOL), city centre, etc, just to stop there for the minimum time, but this time was different, the hotel, just the hotel, was enough travel experience, each room downstairs had spirit, the breakfast room made me feel I was having breakfast in the middle of the Alhambra palace. The views to the port, the history of the hotel, the green mint tea … all made my mind travel through the time, visiting Tangier on the early 20´s, the artists, rich people, the receptions, the decadence … I am sure I would have not travel through time if I had stayed in a different hotel.

Directions: From the port: leave the port gates and turn right, from there you will see signs indicating how to get there (ignore the people telling you that they will take you there!). Go up and turn on the top right.

• Beach_dog's Profile Photo

A little piece of history.

Arriving at reception we had a warm welcome from the staff. The room was initially a little disappointing, fixtures and fittings were very dated and not in the best of repair, the room looked as though it had in the last year or so, recieved a coat of paint. Importantly thought, it was clean and comfortable, but lacked any modernity. The rooms are very basic, dont expect air conditioning, shampoo and other bathroom freebies. You just get a bed, clean sheets and towels changed daily.

We had a half board package booked through Holiday Plus, I had not heard good stories about the hotels food, but on trying the meal the first night we were surprised how good it was, in fact the daily meal became a highlight of our stay, we tried all the local food on the menu.

Breakfast was served in the first floor breakfast room which also had a terrace, now that was a big surprise, the room decoration was straight of of Washington Irvings Tales of the Alhambra, incredible relief plasterwork on the walls and tiles, but more of that below. Breakfast itself was Continental style, but with a surprising choice of buns and cakes, served with coffe or tea.

My one disappointment was the day we decided to take a taxi to Asilah. We had told the receptionist how we were being ripped off by the taxis, he said if we needed one he would call it and arrange a fair price. For Asilah he quoted 250 Dirmah (€25), we agreed. He told us we did not need to wait in the car park but just hang around the hotel until it arrived, when it did arrive he rushed out to meet it and I noticed him taking a commission from the driver. We took the taxi to Asilah, but on returning discovered we had been over double charged on the way there, the return only cost 120 Dirmah (€12). I was a little angry as I guess the difference was partly to pay the hotel receptionists commission.

To summarise... very basic but clean room, friendly staff, food very good, but for what really makes this the place to stay... read below.

Unique Quality: Established in 1888, in its time it was the most fashionable hotel in Tangiers, anyone of any significense visiting Tangier stayed here. Prince Albert son of Queen Victoria and Sir Winston Churchill amongst many other big names had stayed during visits to the city. I even heard whilst staying here that Francis Ford Coppola had a room permanantly booked here, not sure if this is true or whether it is just astory for the tourists, I suspect so.

The hotel was also used as a set for Bertullici's movie of Paul Bowles book "The Sheltering Sky".

The hotel is an attraction in itself, it really is worth exploring the corridors on all levels for an hour or so, there are many hidden public areas decorated with relief plasterwork, traditional arab tiling and antique furniture, doors, windows, rugs etc. The restaurant is well decorated, but you are in for a surprise when you see the breakfast room, adjoining corridors and patios. I took a lot of time photographing as much as I could, I´ve put the photos in a travelogue ''here''.

The hotel has a large terrace with palm trees that overlooks the port and the large sweeping bay of Tangier. Unfortunately a large container park has been built just below and in front of the hotel. But the views are good if you keep your eyes above this.

Directions: The hotel is located on the hill overlooking the port, in the heart of the Medina. You should be able to see it easily from the ferry. As you walk out of the port gates take the road to the right, the hotel is well signposted and is a 200 meter walk.

• Weny's Profile Photo

In the city of Tangier

We stayed here when we came from Marrakesh. I wanted to stay here of course because well who wouldn't? In it's day it was the place to be seen and the hotel's register is out of this world! Movies stars, heads of state, musicians you name it and of course ME! HAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Unique Quality: Incredible furniture, charming rooms with old heavy dark wood. Amazing setting areas and a view of the ocean. Well, it's been newly renovated and it looks great on it's website!

Directions: Overlooking the ocean towards Gilbraltar.

• For Hopeless Romantics & Literary Hounds

For anyone travelling to Morocco to find the essence of the Beatnik experience, Tangier is a "must" as is a stay at the Hotel Continental. Used by the film crew of Bertullici's film adaptation of Paul Bowles' "The Sheltering Sky", this faded queen of the cliffs is both gracious and comfortable. Tucked deep within the Petit Socco, it offers a great location and a safe haven from the crowds without.
    Good luck leaving without stealing the furniture!

Tangier can be a challenging city to enter by sea - the ferry terminal is awash with touts who want to take you to hotels of their own (i.e., hotels that pay them a commission for bodies). It's the only city in Africa I've ever booked a room in before arriving - I really wanted to be able to run the gauntlet with the security of having a home base.

Unique Quality: Rooms are reminiscent of the turn of the century - the last hurrah of its colonial days. Its views of the harbour are stunning.

Directions: In the heart of the Petit Socco - an easy walk from the ferry terminal

More about Hotel Continental

Hotel Continental, Tangier.Hotel Continental, Tangier.

Hotel Continental reservation

by puerto_lover

Am being completely stupid or is senility creeping up on me? I am trying to book a couple of nights at the Hotel Continental in Tangier for the week after next but cannot find the web site or the phone number. Or is there a better way of making a reservation.

by Geoff_Wright

Hi,

I found this telephone number in a review by VT member Carmela71. Hope it works for you.

Phone: +212 39931024

by leics

You can book it online through some sites. Google 'hotel continental tangier'.

Phone number is:

039 93 10 24 (presumably plus code for Morocco?)

Lonely Planet gives hcontinental@iam.net.ma as the reservation contact.

by krazy

AS ITS LATE NOW IN THERE SEASON YOU WONT HAVE ANY PROBLUM JUST TO WALK IN AND GET A ROOM SEEN ON A MAROCCAN SITE THAT TOURISM DOWN THIS YEAR 3 TO 5% THERE ARE PLENTY OF HOTELS IN TANGIER YOU WONT HAVE ANY PROBLUM....HAVE A NICE TIME. KD.

by john9159

The following is the website and don't worry, it is unlikely it will be booked up, just go and present yourself.

by puerto_lover

Thanks John. Quite a difficult web site to find really.

Comments