6 Boulevard Mohamed V, Tangier, Morocco

Costs 41% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Tanjah Flandria

Clandestinity in Tanger

by eskultor about Hotel Tanjah-Flandria

This is a 4 stars place, new building, clean, modern, with all kind of services. It has an expensive but nice bar where you can drink whatever you want. If you feel that you need action, please, dont dubitate, ask for the disco an prepare yourself for a unique experience!! Follow the guide into clandestine doors, corridors and rooms inside the Hotel. Discos in Morocco are not as they use to be in occidental world, maybe, if you have been in an "Antro de ficheras" will understand, a place full of beautiful girls, but everything has a price!! Dont be afraid, you only need to know that you will spend too much money.

Coffee shop in TangerCoffee shop in Tanger

Grand Socco, TangierGrand Socco, Tangier

BuildingBuilding

The Tarifa to Tangier FerryThe Tarifa to Tangier Ferry

Getting to Marrakesh from Tangier

by i_heart_travel

I an trying to plan a short trip to Barcelona and Marrakesh- spending about 3 days in each city. I'm interested in the night train and am looking for information on cost, timing and if I can get a ticket online or the day I arrive at Tangier. Hoping to go in late February.

Also concerned about luggage as I like to travel with a larger hard case with wheels. I know from past international trips that's difficult. I'm traveling with my husband- might be better to take 2 smaller cases.

Any advice is appreaciated!

by stevemt

I believe you can only get Moroccan train tickets in Morocco (or so I read) BUT apparently they are plentiful

by puerto_lover

Always worth looking at SEAT61 for train travel info. This is about travel within Morocco

certainly two smaller case sounds like the answer. The overflight train between Tangier and Marrakesh has 4 berth couchettes and I do not recall any difficulty in storage of cases on the train. Difficulty is buying a ticket in advance ! There is a suggestion contained in the SEAT61 page if you are prepared to pay a premium.

You may know that VUELING and ROYAL AIR MAROC fly Barcelona - Marrakech.

by windcity

The train leaves at 9pm and arrives in Marrakech at 8.05am the price of a bunk in a sleeping car sharing with 3 other is 350DH, The attendant will help you with your luggage for a small tip ! If there are 2 of you another tip will ensure you get the car to yourselves. For security reasons the doors leading to other parts of the train is locked at night. For more information look at

by i_heart_travel

thank you both puerto_lover and windcity. You both have so many helpful messages on this board. I checked out Seat61 and LOVE the site. I think my husband and I both agree that the train/ferry is part and parcel of the journey- at least one way. The trip is more money than I originally budgeted for but I think worth it and still less money than South Africa with Safari! I'm narrowing in my hotel choices in both to find ones with good locations and good prices while not costing an fortune! Thank you again. Great advice.

Travel Tips for Tangier

Day Tour

by ayeleleyee

A friend and I were having a vacation in Spain and we couldn't resist hopping over to Africa for the day. We did a day tour with FRS and had an incredible time. We went to the souk, the medina, a rug shop, a spice pharmacy, a super resturant, and I even had the chance to ride a camel. Our guide was incredible and I'd recommend this to anyone who wanted a really fast paced taste of morocco. I was quite partial to our guide, Ali. He was hilarious. I miss the food, and I can't wait to go back.

Shop 'til you drop

by jujub

Buy jewelry, especially silver!!! i personally love silver, and the silver jewelry they had there was amazing; such intricate details, combinations with pieces of corals, etc etc
be prepared to bargain, don't be embarassed to bargain -- it is expected, do it in a semi-jokingly way; keep things light! oh, and most places only take cash..

This is a shop in Tangier, most of the shops are that tiny, but filled with lots of stuff, great place to get some souvenirs.

Who Lives in a House Like This?

by Geoff_Wright

As our aged minibus struggled up the winding road towards Cape Spartel, at less than a walking pace, we passed several Royal Residences. So, on the way back down I took the chance to take a sneeky picture of this entrance, complete with armed guards. I'm not sure of the 'Political' situation with tourists taking pictures of these places, nor of the military. That's why I took the picture on the way down hill, LOL!.

Tangiers multicultural society

by venteeocho

Tangiers multicultural society and large immigrant population has attracted artists like Paul Bowles, William S. Burroughs, Jack Kerouac, Tennessee Williams, Brion Gysin and the Rolling Stones, who all lived here or visited at some stage.

William S. Burroughs wrote Naked Lunch in Tangier in the 1950s and the book?s locale of Interzone is an allusion to the city.

After Delacroix spoke of the amazing light and colours he found in Tangiers, it became an obligatory stop off for many other artists wanting to experience it for themselves.

Matisse became very fond of the place. He made numerous tours of Tangiers, always staying in the Hotel Villa de France. He found the landscapes and colours exactly as Delacroix had described. If you come here you can even visit the room where he painted the famous view out of the window.

Another well-known artist heavily influenced by Tangiers and Matisse was Californian Richard Diebenkorn. He found the Matisse's rhythmic patterns and colours haunting.

The most well known native author from Tangiers is probably Mohamed Choukri. He's widely recognized as one of North Africa?s most controversial and popular authors. His autobiography "For Bread Alone" was described by Tennessee Williams as "A true document of human desperation, shattering in its impact."

During the 1940's and 1950's Tangiers was an international zone. It was a playground for all kinds of eccentric types - artists, writers, millionaires, as well as more sinister crooks, secret agents and gamblers.

Comments