9 Derb el Masid, Fes, 30200, Morocco
Expedia.com

More about Riad Numero 9

a truly magical experience!

by TripAdvisor Member Di-1969

My husband and I spent our honeymoon in Fes, the riad was a hidden gem tucked away from the hustle and bustle of the ancient medina. Having never experienced Morrocco before this was a great way to start, the riad is very centrally located and the views from the roof terrace are breathtaking. The house has been beautifully restored and has contemporary touches here and there. We had the services of a wonderful housekeeper and cook who looked after us and treated us as family. They were also very good at giving us privacy when required and not getting in the way. The house is tranquil and calm for a quiet getaway but would also make a great venue for a larger group of friends as it has large bedrooms and great reception areas for entertaining. I cannot recommend it highly enough we were well looked after and got to experience the cultural diversity of an amazing historic city.

Truly an Oasis!

by TripAdvisor Member slirving

Our stay at Riad Numero 9 was truly wonderful. We felt at home from the moment we arrived and loved it so much we extended our stay while we were there.

The Riad has been restored and furnished with amazing attention to detail and an eye for style that makes you feel like you are staying in a luxury resort without feeling like you can't relax and put your feet up after a long day of wandering through the medina.

Big big thanks to our wonderful hosts for making our time in Fez all the more magical!

Unparalled attention to detail!

by TripAdvisor Member opie2k1

In my opinion, the difference between a good place to stay and a GREAT place to stay is in the details. Riad Number 9 was decorated in a gorgeous way with the smallest nuance addressed in style. The decor is nothing short of gorgeous but what really puts this riad over the top is the attention we got from the owners Stephen and Bruno. We stayed at Riad 9 for part of our honeymoon in Morocco and Stephen's attention to our needs from answering nagging questions we had about local customs to providing us with a romantic dinner on the terrace to a relaxing pot of mint tea after a long day in the medina was impeccable. Stephen, in our opinion, is one of those few people you run across in life that is truly "amazing". With a understated demeanor and a wonderful way to weave a tale, Stephen kept us enthralled with conversation whenever we wanted. In closing, I would recommend that you make your reservations as early as possible since I believe Riad Number 9 will heretofore be booked WAY in advance for very good reason.

A stay so memorable I dream of being back at Riad No. 9 daily

by TripAdvisor Member Jackler

I think the reviewer before me stated it perfectly!

Riad Numero 9 is the most stylish, romantic, magical place I have ever stayed. One of my hobbies and obsessions is discovering design hotels and our stay in Fez not only met but exceeded our expectations-- on a design, location and "service" level. I put "service" in quotes because Stephen, Bruno and Adil felt like friends after only a few hours. Stephen is a design genius and is Bruno in the kitchen.

Our stay was the highlight of a 3 week trip in Morocco a year ago, in fact we even rearranged our trip to stay another night we were so reluctant to leave. I am writing this untimely review a year later because I think Riad Numero 9 deserves it and I have daydreaming about it of late.

We were two couples in our early 30's and we rented the entire Riad. Adil, the gentle and generous houseman that works for Stephen and Bruno went out of his way for us. On our second night he arranged for his mother to make us a meal and it was served in the central courtyard on the sunken table, surrounded by dozens and dozens of votives lit throughout all 3 levels of the riad. A dream! We also enjoyed two other lingering meals with Stephen, Bruno and Adil, generously prepared by Bruno. Bruno, we miss your homemade yogurt!

Stephen's advice on how to enjoy the city and the trips he arranged were exactly what we were looking for. Each day, returning home exhausted and hungry, we were met on the terrace with tea and snacks.

Fez is amazing, I loved the labyrinth of the Medina, the smells of the market and tannery (which most people find hard to stomach), the smiles on the faces of the shopkeepers and children, and the quick and genuine friendships we made with Moroccans. It was hard to leave.

I hope to return very soon! Thanks Riad Numero 9.

Rapturous Riad!

by TripAdvisor Member Dee007Dublin

Tucked in the heart of the medina, Riad Numero 9 is one of the most beautiful and welcoming places I've ever stayed in; its breathtaking Islamic interiors and lovely artefacts all have captivating stories attached to them. The transformation of the riad is the work of owners Stephen di Renza and Bruno Ussel, each with their own particular talents. Stephen's stylish eye for detail and Bruno's outstanding Gallic culinary skills combine to make any stay very special and guests benefit from their insider knowledge of Fez and its traditions along with recommendations of the best places to visit in this intriguing city. Not to be missed are the panoramic views from the roof terrace, effectively another tastefully decorated open air room in which to relax or simply listen to the turtle doves!

The reviews are true!

by TripAdvisor Member tripsterish

We booked our stay based on the reviews on this site, and we are not disappointed. Our stay at Riad Numero 9 was one of the highlights of our trip. The riad is gorgeous and perfectly located and the owners are charming. We loved this place!

Riad 9 ... it should have been a 10!!!

by TripAdvisor Member bradandjacks

From the very offset, Stephen was an absolute gem. He emailed to confirm our reservation within 24 hours and wrote a short synopsis on the weather, etiquette and local information. Stephen also organised us a transfer from the local train station to the Riad which he included in the price. The Riad was absolutely stunning, especially the views across the City. It was here that we met with Bruno, Stephen's partner and their dog. Our room was lovely and in keeping with their generous hospitality, included water and fruit. Our bathroom was not integral, but this didn't matter ... we walked into an Oasis. Big enough for two to shower (tee hee), they supplied luxury towels (heaps of), toiletries and water to clean our teeth. Breakfast was simply yummy and included home made preserves (well done Bruno!!) Overall, this is the best Riad that we have ever stayed in and hope to visit again next year to view the new extension.

flawless

by TripAdvisor Member odolam

As a boy I lived in Morocco, in Fes. I left in 1987. Twenty years later I finally had the opportunity to get back, search my friends, and teachers, and show Fes to my wife. For 15 years I told her stories of my childhood there. I had to find a hotel matching the enthusiasm overflowing my countless stories. I found RIAD 9. A perfect match for my anticipations. What a calm reigns in that house, how formidable were our hosts ! Stephen and Bruno, the cat, the dog, Atica and her sister ... the neighbour! :-)
Lots of friends were telling me before our fly to Fes "You are in chase of your memories, you will be disappointed after 20 years, you have no longer the eyes of a child". Far from it. We loved our stay in Fes, but were it not for RIAD9 things wouldn't have been so great !
Will go there again ... Thank you Stephen, thank you Bruno !

gorgeous riad

by TripAdvisor Member sunrise777

Riad 9 in Fez is a wonderful place to get away from the hub of urban life and experience an authentic holiday in the old Fez medina.

The decor is fabulous and original- Extremely comfortable.
A wonderful guide was organised for us to explore the labyrinths of the medina. Also did good shopping!

Eating at 'home' on the roof in the evening, was a great experience and the food sensational!

Looking forward to going back one day!!

A Special Place to Stay in Fez

by TripAdvisor Member LondonJerseygirl

I visited Fez in October 07 with my fiance, and the highlight of our visit really was Riad Number 9. It is a little oasis of calm in the middle of the medina. It was absolutely lovely to return every evening, perhaps take a nap, listen to music, or even get treated to a lovely dinner specially cooked for the two of us with over 100 candles lit in all the windows of the central hall several stories high. This is not the sort of attention you get in your average rented accommodation. And that is precisely the point. This is not your average riad. The owner, Stephen, is so very helpful and able to arrange all sorts of things, such as a dinner cooked in-house (mentioned above) to a visit to Volubilis, which is a must see! He has exquisite taste, which is evident throughout the riad, as well as by his recommodations. His website is very impressive, and as he has lived in the West as well as the East, so he understands expectations of visitors from the West and the East to this marvelous medina which is so unlike anywhere else in the world.

Comments