Kabila Hotel

Booking.com Travelocity Priceline.com

Rated 12% higher but also costs 179% more than other 4 star hotels

More about Tetouan

TetouanTetouan

Cats in kasbah.Cats in kasbah.

Bridal clothes - I want the golden one!Bridal clothes - I want the golden one!

One of the bridal shops.One of the bridal shops.

buying furniture in the Tetouan area

by grahamNI

Has anyone any advice or experience of buying furniture and household items in the Tetouan area? Beds, seating, washing machine, etc. etc.

I have no experience of the souks etc. and wonder if its worth a try or not?

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

by paulvic

Hi, I have bought an apartment through MRI and I will be buying my own furniture. I have copied below some info from another forum which I hope is useful for you. Paul.
p.s.If you have bought an apartment, the eye on the world forums are good for exchanging with other owners

'With regards to kitting out your apartments, we have found that the best and cheapest method is to do it yourselves. The prices of all these packages that are offered by various companies is very expensive and it is best to buy the stuff yourselves. For more traditional furniture it is best to go to some of the numerous handmade/bespoke furniture that you can find in and around Tetouan. For modern furniture you have Kitea (http://www.kitea.ma/home.php) , Mobilia ( http://www.mobilia.ma/ ) or another good shop near the developers office called Laylitts ( I think that is how you spell it ). For electricals and white goods etc either the Marjane Centre on the way to Tetouan or the various Gold Vision stores in Tetouan, they deliver and fit, most of the time that is included in the purchase price. For general houseware you can get most of what you want from the Marjane Centre, but there is a lot more choice and at better prices in the Souk or the Medina in Tetouan, but remember to haggle, that's half the fun! For potteries and typical Moroccan lights etc we found the roadside stalls on the way to Tetouan to be very good value'.

by grahamNI

Hi Paul,
Many thanks for your reply!

We dont have any intention of using the furniture packs, they really are very over priced and not what we want at all!

I hope that all goes well with your purchase, we too have bought an apartment through MRI and hope that its finished before winter...... we had hoped that it would be completed by June/July 07! so a little late.

Please let me know how you get on in the area with your purchases!

cheers,
Graham.

by striiing

Hi Graham,
How is your property going in tetouan? I bought a apartment off-plan with MRI in oct 2007, its due for completion in May 2010. Have you had any success it renting your property out? did you use the rental company that MRI recommends? I will be going across in May and i am intending on buying my own furniture so any advice on how you done that would be a great help. Where you also able to rent a car out and if so from what company?
Cheers.

Travel Tips for Tetouan

First donkeys in Morocco :-)

by matcrazy1

I was walking and looking around - both in the medina and in the new city (Ville Noueavu). Everything looks different, especially in the medina... But, my foundest memory are these donkeys on my picture. They were used as beasts of draught. Sometimes you can see locals riding a donkey and not exclusively in a countryside but in towns and cities as well.

Favorite Picture - Tetouan, Morocco, Africa

by jamiesno

How about this one? This is an up close and personal look at a dromadary in Tetouan, Morocco, Africa.

This is the first time I have ever seen one of these camel look a likes :-) and I have been getting many comments about this guy!

One of the most memorable quotes was, "this reminds me of the day after!" :-) I thought that was a funny one.

I hope you enjoy this picture!

~Bakers Dozen~

by freya_heaven

I am not sure if this a custom in Morocco only, or many Arab or poorer countries.

The dough for bread is made in the home, and then the dough is taken to the bakers, who then cooks the bread for them. Then the bread is picked up and taken home.

Apparently this is a daily occurrance.

Faux Tourguides: Where and When They CAN Be Useful

by CrazyLikeThat87

Although people are generally advised to steer clear of these unemployed faux guides, they can prove useful for quick excursions, especially if you're arriving in Ceuta by ferry. The ferry station in Ceuta is where these faux guides tend to hang out. The ferry station is about a 5 minute taxi drive from the border, where you must cross by foot, and then must take another 20 minute taxi drive into Tetouan. All that can be a bit intimidating for a traveler unfamiliar with the language and culture...and while I speak both English and French, the taxi driver across the border spoke only Arabic (and Moroccan Colloquial Arabic is also somewhat difficult to understand for other Arabic speakers).

We decided to accept an offer from one of these guides, and it proved a GREAT decision for several reasons:
-The commute was hassle-free.
-He took us directly to the medina of the city, and was able to guide us effortlessly through what would have otherwise been a labyrinth of narrow streets.
-He took us to market vendors that he knew, and thus we were able to barter for some good deals on things like hijabs (headscarves) and other unique items --- even better yet, he had some of the vendors let us sample their WONDERFUL food and produce (let me tell you, there is nothing like fresh, homemade goat cheese).
-He took us to his HOME, where we were able to sit down for that world-renowned Moroccan tea, and saw an amazing panoramic view of the city at sunset from the roof of his house.

While acting as a tourguide without proper licensing is illegal in Morocco (only for the guide, no worries for the tourist), I don't feel that my trip would have been nearly as amazing as it was without him!

Moral of the story: I'm not encouraging using a fake guide...but if you really need someone to show you around quickly, you won't be condemned for it!

Medina

by freya_heaven

Visiting Souks, Medinas, Kasbas are all essential experiences of visiting these types of countrys. It wonderful wandering around aimlessly, but so easy to get lost and lose your sense of direction in the maze of passage ways. Don't worry about getting lost, the people here are so helpful & friendly.

The photo is one of Tetouen Medina entrances