12, rue du 6 novembre, Casablanca, Morocco

Booking.com Hostelworld.com HostelBookers.com

• maykal's Profile Photo

Hotel Astrid

My travelling companion Mr P chose this hotel for us, and being right around the corner from the French Consulate and the nicest square in Casablanca, this looked like a great deal. Our twin room was fairly large, cleanish, and was en suite, so first impressions weren't bad.

On closer inspection, the sheets weren't as clean as they could have been, and in the morning, Mr P awoke scratching and with a swollen eye. Bedbugs, he claimed. I didn't have any trouble with bedbugs, and we even swapped beds the second night...he got bitten, I didn't! Maybe I just don't taste nice. But something in that hotel bit him, and little specks of blood and a crushed bedbug on the wall indicated other guests had had the same problem before us.

A small window looked out onto the roof of another building, so no view to marvel at, although we were able to hear the demonstrations in the street below quite well...a shame that by the time we'd got our cameras ready, the demonstration had finished.

Not sure I would recommend the Astrid to other travellers to be honest. On my return to Casablanca, I stayed in a cheaper hotel with a better room, so it really wasn't worth the extra cost to stay here. For the price, there are plenty of similar hotels in the area, some in historical buildings with lots of character.

• Mar 12, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Arrived from station to be told I could not check in as I had left my passport at home in Tangier. After 3 hours visiting various police stations I obtained the necessary papers and returned to the Astrid to be told they were full ! Nine o clock on a dank rainy evening.No apology or explanation was given or an offer to find somewhere else. Be aware budget accomodation means budget attitude.. . Give this hotel a wide berth.
    Casablanca is a dirty and dangerous city and I would recommend giving the entire place a swerve if you can.If you are looking for the legendary place of the film get up to Tangier where the outdoor scenes were shot.Tangier is a much better city in every way.