BP 67, Asni, 042150, Morocco

Costs 33% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Kasbah Tamadot

A beautiful/tranquil retreat

by CaptainM about Kasbah Tamadot

Just beautiful ! Amazing views of the snow capped mountains.
Beautiful 'infinity' pool
Only a short drive from Marrakech.
Great for hiking excursions and other trips.
Great food.
Very friendly staff.
Book yourself a Hammam scrub down/massage for a treat (although quite vigorous!)

A wonderful hideaway

by TripAdvisor Member Barnesadventurers

We stayed three nights at the Kasbah Tamadot in July after a very hot and hectic two days in Marrakesch. The Kasbah provides a haven of luxury whilst maintaining its close links with the village of Asni where all the staff come from. The staff are extremely friendly, welcoming and willing to please and the overall ambience is relaxed.
The Kasbah itself is beautifully renovated and offers many different guest areas from the library, the Bar and Restaurant, reflecting pool, and roof terrace all of which have great views of the mountains. Try to go when there's a full moon as this silhouettes the mountains beautifully! We had dinner in a different location each night which is a great idea as you are rather stuck for other dining options, unless you go in to Marrakesch which is about 45 minutes away. Food is excellent and reasonably priced - especially good lunch menu at the Pool Terrace.
It was too hot for trekking in July but we will definitely return to explore the mountains more. Tennis and a mule ride with our entertaining guide, Mohammed, was as active as we could manage and most of our time was spent by the beautiful infinity pool where complimentary water with fresh mint helped cool us down.
Our room was very stylish, comfortable and clean and little touches like the Bose music system, candles, and petals on the bed really made it special.
We highly recommend the Kasbah Tamadot as a stopping off point during a Moroccan adventure or as a short-break getaway for total immersion in another culture.
London, UK

Fantastic Spot

by TripAdvisor Member NewYork2

My husband and I also just returned from a fantastic trip to Morocco and a glorious 4 days at Kasbah Tamadot. The place is incredible and immaculate and the views from the infinity pool are spectacular. The people working there could not have been more helpful – they are so warm, accommodating and just really very pleasant. However, when the only place you can really buy anything (food, water, snacks) is the hotel, it does get expensive (5 euros for a bottle of water by the pool – I do think with the rates they charge, guests should get as much water as they want for free!).

I also agree with the previous posting – to say that the hotel is lavish in contrast to its surroundings is sort of silly – of course that can be said about most places in the world. Richard Branson has been offering English classes to people in the local villages since 1999. He offered jobs at the hotel to those whose English improved the most. He hires mostly locals to work in his hotel. I think it’s just great to think of the opportunity the hotel now provides to the locals. Many of these people had never set foot in a hotel before and now have experience working at a 5 star hotel!

I would highly recommend a stay at the Kasbah, particularly if you are looking for a break from the madness of Marrakech!

Stunning

by TripAdvisor Member abc12345

My husband and I have just returned from a fantastic holiday in Morocco. We spent 3 nights in the Kasbah Tamadot and thought it was absolutely amazing.

We were a bit nervous after reading earlier reviews saying it was like Disneyland, but when we arrived, everything exceeded our expectations and we found the interiors to be tasteful and not over the top at all. Also, saying that it is distasteful because this luxurious place looks over the poor Berber village is rather patronising. You could say the same about so many places, including places in London.

The setting is just beautiful - we had planned to do plenty of activities but the pool area was so inviting that we stayed there for 3 days, only interrupting our relaxation for lunch in the pool bar. The food is quite expensive, but considering there isn't the option of eating anywhere else, it's actually only what you might expect and we felt they could have easily have charged more. It is also rather good! There is a wide selection on the menu, including both Moroccon and European dishes. I would say that having an additional casual menu/eating area for the evenings would be a good idea as if you were staying there for a long time you might get a bit sick of such rich food.

We had a superior room (I think) and it was lovely - we had room 15 and it had a beautiful green bathroom and interesting wooden ceiling in the sitting area. It also had its own terrace.

You should definitely experience the excitement of Marrakech as well, but after you've worn yourself out in the souks, come here for sheer relaxation!

Second visit and will go again

by TripAdvisor Member RSC1969

This is the 2nd visit we have made to the Kasbah Tamadot, our first being over the Christmas break in 2005. That time I gave the Kasbah a good rating with only one note on the number of lightbulbs blown (I seem to notice this all over the place now!!)

This time we stayed in the Mini-Kasbah (Master Suite) at the bottom of the complex. It is essentially three units with its own private terrace and swimming pool. We were in a party of five with three people celebrating birthdays.

I would have to say that, if possible, pay the extra and stay in the Master Suite. It was a fantastic house and the private pool and courtyard was amazing. We also arranged a private dinner on the upper terrace. The head chef came and discussed a suitable menu - although I would suggest you let her decide as she knows the best produce available and can select very good wines for each course.

The spa was again great, especially the Hamman. We took a mini hike this time and again it was a good break from the Kasbah and the trip to a Berber house was actually good fun - albeit I normally find things like that rather crass.

I would recommend this place to anyone. I cannot fault much about the place (except I not,iced a few bulbs out again!). Staff in hotel, restaurant and spa are great. Definately going to go again. Richard

So, so close to perfection...spoilt by a few problems.

by TripAdvisor Member KANDA19

Tamadot was a fantastic place to end our stay in Morocco. Unfortunately, it falls short of being the perfect place to stay because of too many small problems.

We spent three nights in Marakech before heading high up into the Atlas mountains to stay at Kasbah Toubkal. Toubkal provided a brilliant contrast to the bustling chaos (fun as it is!) of Marakech. Toubkal was rough and ready round the edges, though it does not aspire to be a five star hotel, but rather a brilliant base for hiking and a great place to relax and take in the stunning scenery. Tamadot offers another contrast and we were pleased that following on from a city break and a mountain ‘retreat’ of a break (being Marakech and Toubkal) we were now able to relax in decadent luxury and spoil ourselves. One cannot level the criticism at Tamadot that some have tried, being that it sits ill at ease with the surroundings. It does, but to criticise it for this reason would be to miss the point of Tamadot. It is not a trekking lodge, but rather a five star, grandiose hotel where one can relax, unwind and let the world carry on without you. However, although it excels in the role in so many ways (which have been well detailed in other reviews; petals on the bed, superb décor, outstanding food, fabulous pool area…) it falls short in a number of ways that are unacceptable and totally avoidable.

The food is excellent and we were pleasantly surprised to find that it was served on the roof terrace which was lit by candlelight and had a lovely romantic atmosphere. The seating was excellent and, although there were a fair few people dining, we had a real sense of privacy. The roof terrace is stunning and we had a fine dining experience as the food is exceptional. However, what could have been a faultless experience was marred by the fact that it takes so long for the severs to take the order and much longer for the food to appear. This was not a problem unique to ourselves as we noticed many guests becoming irritated by the slow service. This problem was repeated at every meal and, although many may argue that the quality of the food makes the wait worthwhile, I feel that such an establishment should have run much slicker. Matters were made worse when, at breakfast, some of our order just never appeared. This problem was shared by the table next to us. It’s one thing to wait for a meal for a while but it’s altogether more irritating when it fails to materialise. This leads one to be anxious at every dining experience in fear of the servers simply forgetting about you!

Breakfast on the final day was a disappointment. We had checked out and had a taxi coming at eight o’clock. This gave us half an hour for breakfast. We were very pleased when the servers advised that we were welcome to have breakfast a little early (7:20) and we obviously didn’t expect everything to be ready as we were early. However, even by 7:50 (a full twenty minutes after the start of breakfast) there were still missing items form the buffet and I was forced to ask for them (they quickly appeared, begging the question ‘why were they not placed on the buffet sooner if they were prepared?’). We were not offered any food from the breakfast menu on this occasion and had to go without as the taxi was waiting.

The arrangement for the taxi caused some concern as we observed that another couple were leaving at the same time and headed for the same place (the airport). However, rather than ask either party whether they would like to share, the Kasbah ordered two taxis and both parties were forced to pay full price on a journey that could have been shared.

Our main complaint about the stay regarded the hammam. There is no doubt that the hammam is a brilliant experience, and one that should be taken up by everyone who visits Tamadot. However, despite all the literature stating that use of the hammam is included, we were charged for our time in it. I advised that we were told it was included and the room directory bore this out. Yet, despite the directory being in front of her and the fact that she herself had told us that it was free, the receptionist held her ground and insisted that we had to pay for the use of the hammam. This made for a slightly awkward situation as it would be foolish to agree to pay for something that is clearly described as being free. I certainly wouldn’t accept a Christmas present from someone if I thought they were going to present me with a bill afterwards; in fact this was worse because we had written acceptance of the hammam being included in the rate. The receptionist seemed to think that because we enjoyed the treatment we should not complain about being charged for it. She even implied that we should have tipped more. After some time she reluctantly agreed to waive the charge, yet never did she acknowledge that there is a distinct conflict between the literature and the billing process. I can only assume that the hammam is free to use if you go in alone rather than have a professional treatment, yet this option was never offered to us. There’s clearly some sort of communication problem here but it was not acknowledged by the receptionist and after waiving the charge her pleasant demeanour left and was replaced by a surly attitude that left our stay at Tamadot tarnished.

To conclude, Tamadot is a great place and there can be no denying it. The rooms are lovely and there is a real sense of decadence (yet without being gaudy). Styling of the kasbah is perfect and it is clearly a labour of love. The previous owner collected many items from around the world and they are proudly displayed. The décor is lovely and one is able to really unwind. The infinity pool is a brilliant place to swim in and relax around and there really is no need to take up any of the many activities offered (they all look brilliant, though I think that this is really a place to relax rather than seek adventure…go to Toubkal for that). Tamadot comes so close to being heaven, yet there are too many problems that are unnecessary. A great deal is made of the friendliness of the staff, yet friendliness should not be a synonym for, or an excuse for, inefficiency.

Mixed feelings

by TripAdvisor Member JompJomp

We stayed nights for a bit of luxury at the end of an 8 night trip, having spent 3 nights in Marrakech and 3 nights at Kasbah du Toubkal. The room was great with stunning views, but the overall feel of the place is rather overdone. None of it really meshes, as it's themed from all over the world but particularly from India, and consequently it feels a bit like a theme park. Saying that it's very peaceful and has great views, and everything is done to the highest standard. But we felt like we were in a lavishly distasteful cinema watching a film of the Berber village across the valley, and it just felt wrong to be living in such disharmony from one's surroundings. None of this is the fault of the hotel (apart from the Disneyland decor) - we should have guessed it before we went, and I guess it just wasn't really our kind of place. We've both stayed in fantastic hotels before, but in this setting it just didn't work for our consciences.

We were also disappointed in the food, in that what was billed as Moroccan was a sham - the lamb tagine was roast lamb that had been put in a tagine at the last minute. And boy what a price tag for meals too. Again, if you like to be insulated from your surroundings and have great international food (and prices) then you'll be happy here. The dining room doesn't work in terms of atmosphere either - it's way too formal and needs a bit of tlc to make it a more relaxing place in the evening.

On a much more positive note the staff are absolutely wonderful. They are the best I've met at any hotel, and have a wonderful Berber warmth and grace that is unrivalled. Really gorgeous people. The few European staff that we met (in the spa) were also excellent and we had the best massages that we've had in years.

All in all we preferred the Kasbah du Toubkal, with all its faults, as there at least one felt in touch with one's surroundings.

Nice - if not overated

by TripAdvisor Member EINYC

We had 8 nights at the Kasbah.

Its hard to fault it but its the little things that really take the edge off it.

The setting is stunning. The hotel is beautiful in an intimate way. We found the Web Site Photos a little misleading, they were true, but goodness knows how wide the lens was that pictures most things.

The rooms are comfortable and authentic, without being fake. A little "rough" around the edges.

The staff are all very friendly and polite but we waited forever and a day for most, if not all our meals and not a single one of our 7 breakfast orders was correct. Dining outside on the terrace was very nice, under the stars etc but you have to eat off what can only be described as coffee tables so you are constantly leaning over which is really uncomfortable over a big meal, we found that particularly infuriating and ruined the whole effect.

I would not go as far to say the food is amazing, its fine, a couple of meals were really good, the rest I would describe as average when compared to other 5* hotels.

The Hamman is good and relaxing, we had two massages, the first was one of the best I had ever had unyet the second was without doubt the worst.

If you are expecting the crisp, sharp and faultless stay that other similarly priced five star hotels deliver forget it, the little things will annoy after a while and there is no consistency.

Also be aware its a good hour into Marrakech so trips into town become a little tedious, particularly in the 20 year old non air conditioned Taxi's that the hotel arranges.

We would not go again and would advise anyone thinking to go to be aware of the pitfalls, its certainly overrated, depending upon your standards for similarly priced hotels.

Great place but...

by TripAdvisor Member potrah

Stunning location.Fascinating environment and we remember one night with a full moon over the mountains commenting that the view was probably the most beautiful we have ever experienced.....and that having traveled the world extensively for many years.
The staff attitude is outstandingly friendly and helpful and the use of local people is to be admired.
We would endorse most of the good comments made by other contributors but would add the following cautions
The weather is substantially different from Marrakech...it is very changeable..at least 4c below Marrakeck ...and suffers a significant drop to nearer 20c in mid Sept.So beware if you want hot hot long blue sky days...it may not happen.The price of poorer weather is the amazing mountain scenery.
Secondly we thought the food was very very average in comparison with similar hotels...the raw materials must be locally sourced and are poor.Some meat tasted musty...as surprisingly did many of the tomatoes...and much was not particularly tasty.We had food poisoning...which we initially put down to Easyjet (sorry Easyjet) but subsequently decided it must have been the hotel food as the same was experienced by at least two other people
We stayed in Room 33 which was fantastic as it had a wonderful private terrace...to be recommended

An easy inroduction to Morocco

by CaptainM

"Starting off..... the easy way"

If you fancy a quick and easy introduction to Morocco (although this isn't a budget suggestion) - I'd really recommend booking in at Richard Branson's Kasbah Tamadot (booking through Virgin Limited Edition).
You can book a longer stay if you want (and it's so beautiful you'll probably want to) or just stay for a long weekend.
They'll even pick you up from Marrakech airport and arrnage excursions for you.
The hotel is beautiful and tranquil - and the staff very friendly and non intrusive. The food is also excellent.
We booked a days hike which takes you round some of the lower foothills. The hotel can lay on all guides and advise on which level of difficulty each hike will be. The guides go at a pace suitable for everyone and there was a lovely surprise of a picnic lunch half way through the day.

View of the High Atlas from AsniView of the High Atlas from Asni

Outside our restaurant in AsniOutside our restaurant in Asni

Asni VillageAsni Village

1-2 day excursions from Marrakech?

by Steve237

Hi all,

I want to take my wife to Morocco on around 20th April with the idea being that we can spend an exciting few days (4 or 5) in Marrakech and enjoy the weekend there. I've seen lots of Riads which look fantastic and some still have some availability.

However, I was wanting to finish the trip by taking a trip into the High Atlas and staying in either Kasbah du Toubkal or Richard Branson's extortionately priced (but probably worth it) Kasbah Tamadot - anyway, both are fully booked.

I really don't want to cancel this planned trip as my wife has some serious surgery ahead of her and I want to treat her before she goes into hospital in a couple of months.

So my question is, is there still any point in our Moroccan trip without sampling the Atlas Mountains and just staying in the old town? Are there any good excursions? She loves mules, camels, etc. I think the Sahara is too far though so probably out of the question.

Hope someone can help, I really want us to embark on what sounds like a magical place to visit.

By the way we're both in our late 20's and up for some fun.

Thanks for listening and hope you can help,
Steve