Imlil Hotels

Our Members Say

• becclestyke profile photo becclestyke
  • Reviews: 1

Riad Dar Imlil: Excellent accommodation and service

We stayed at this Riad based on other reports that we had seen on the internet. We arrived following a excusion from Marrakech and were pleased with the service with the bags in the room waiting and a lovely mint tea and nibbles prepared for us whilst we checked in.
I was over the moon by the fact that we had an upgrade, and I honestly believe that we had the best room in the Riad... which helps this review of course. The room was exceptional decorated in a Berber style and definately the best that we had during our stay in Morocco. However, putting the quality of the room to one side, the service and hospitality to all residents was outstanding. The cost of the accommodation included all soft drinks, water, or even tea. There was a very effective frindge in the room filled with soft drinks that we were free to drink and ask for refills - very unusual, but in the hot weather it was a godsend. We had mint tea onve and they broughtb it to us along with a tray of nibbles.

The breakfasts were a little hit and miss - on the days that the bread was fresh it was supberb, but a couple of days the bread was a bit stale. the evening meals were very good and filling, though I would say that the cuisine was a little basic.

We were there for Ramadam, so I am not sure if the problems we encountered were due to this period or is common. We really struggled to find other places to eat, and one that we did eat at (a pizza place) was pretty awful - so the Riad turned out to be a good option.

The service and the provision of free drinks (note that alcohol is not served at the Riad) was outstanding and the staff were really helpful.

• Related to: Photography, Eco-Tourism, Hiking and Walking
  • Written August 8, 2013

• angiebabe profile photo angiebabe
  • Reviews: 1658

Dar Adous: Budget gite for hikers and relaxers

Stayed here for 3 nights one February - its rather freezing at night this time of year!!
but I had befriended a young guide called Hassan who had guided me up the hill to Kasbah Toubkal and then driven with me out along the new road that runs 5 kms on further from Imlil through very picturesque scenery and apparently some of the oldest villages in Morocco - this road actually runs behind Ouikaimeden - who then brough me here to stay at Lahcen's gite as it was getting late and this gite was just below his village up the hill so he knew Lahcen and Dar Adous very well.

Lahcen who owns this gite is a professional mountain guide and lives with his wife and children in a house amongst a cluster of houses jsut across the path from his gite Dar Adous. Its set up with rooms with multiple beds and mattresses on the floor and sharing communal bathrooms for hikers and climbers who come to stay on a low budget.

There are also a couple of rooms with double beds and ensuites which is where I stayed for 3 nights at a winter offpeak price of 200 dirham a night with breakfast.

Lahcen has put an excellent double burner fire in the main room which heats the room up and is great for sitting in front of when the evening temperatures start to drop to pretty much freezing....too cold in the bedrooms though - even with 5 blankets it was still pretty uncomfortable. If I stay in Imlil during the winter period again it will need to be a place with heating!

During the day though the temperature is lovely and even becomes tshirt weather....great for sitting up on the roof of Dar Adous for mint tea or lunch in the sunshine and great views down the valley to the main centre of Imlil and Kasbah Toubkal on its hill above the town

There is roadside parking but then a 5 minute walk along a village path across a river and along fields - scenic and rural feel in the valley above Imlil but not appropriate if you have walking difficulties

Lahcen's wife is a great cook and I had excellent pancakes for breakfast and tagine and couscous meals for lunch and dinner during my stay.

Lahcen being a professional mountain guide, along with Hassan whom I had already befriended, were great for going on trips with around the area....there are numerous treks around the area and Lahcen took me out on a drive on a back road behind the mountains of Imlil with great views over valleys and old villages.

This place would be even better to stay at though during the later months of March when the almond trees start to blossom and irises and other spring flowers start to appear around the area - along with the many walnut trees in the area start to change from bare to heavily green leafed...a beautiful area to be in during late spring and early summer. Im told that June is the best month for wildflowers when trekking up higher in the mountains...of which of course the Jebel Toubkal is the most famed destination from here.

Lahcen Alahiane

• Written July 13, 2012

• crazyman2 profile photo crazyman2
  • Reviews: 275

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Kasbah du Toubkal: Beware! This is not a hotel!

We had expected a hotel and we found a trekking centre!

We had expected 3* at the minimum and we found 2*.

We expected booze and we found mint tea.

We expected a choice of food on the menu and found no choice!

We expected good service and we found it from most of the staff.

This is a beautiful trekking centre high in the Atlas Mountains. The views are superb. Donkeys carry your luggage up to the Kasbah.

We cannot say too much because it may go against us in a possible legal wrangle.... just to say that some of the standard rooms are far smaller and more basic than others... there are some better quality rooms for a bit extra ---if you want even 3* then go for the best!

This is a dry centre ---so bring your own wine!

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written June 3, 2012
Tip Photo

one of the streams near Imlil

• jamesbrad profile photo jamesbrad
  • Reviews: 1

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

hotel etoile toubkal: imlil imim

I stayed in this hotel for 8 days -3 of these days enforced due to my being very sick due to a bout of food poisoning -but not from the hotel Ihasten to add-more due to my negligence in not washiing fruit before ingestion-I became very sick during the night whilst camping at the refuge, having climbed there in just over 3 hours I was forced to come back down the next morning on Mohammed's mule, being sick regularly, throughout the descent, (embarrassingly so!)however, Mohammed was fantastic, as was the mule, as I regularly tried to evade it's most recent hairdo, with vomit-I arrived back at the hotel where Lahcen and his staff were fantastic-they fed me a "rice pudding" type meal ,which I was able to keep down and a drink, made from thyme-the next day I was much improved and decided to extend my stay at the hotel due to their wonderful hospitality and caring disposition-I was about to say christian attitude but that is slightly ironic, given the fact they are muslims and ramadan had commenced on the day I took sick-whichever religion, you know what I mean- the hotel is not only a most aesthetic and spiritual place, but is complemented by great staff
hassin, fatima, fatma and lahcen's father and relations-they also invited me, thereafter, to join in their ramadan repas -truly fantastic gesture!!great respect at the way they fast in such heat without complaint-a must for all!!!

great rooms at the back, fantastic views and a wonderful roof terrace -again with unparalleled views-180 dirhams pn with breakfast 14/15 quid -a steal!!!

• Written August 27, 2010

• fredericjayatilaka profile photo fredericjayatilaka
  • Reviews: 4

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

CAF Refuge: Worst hostel ever

We stayed at the CAF refuge in Imlil for one night. It was relatively expensive for a dormitory bed (about 60 dirham a night), but had a little garden. There are no sit down toilets or hot water. I got food poisoning when we stayed there (from a local restaurant) and was up all night being violently sick. In the morning the French woman who runs the place woke me up at about 7am and shouted at me for being sick for about an hour, despite my feeling terribly ill. She made no effort to be understood (I don't speak much French), and swore at me repeatedly. At one point she simply handed me a phone with someone else (equally baffled) on the other end.

We also heard the French woman berating a Moroccan man (swearing at him repeatedly) who worked there for putting the tables out incorrectly.

We left the hostel that morning for the hotel across the road, which cost about 200 dirham for a double room, and had sit down toilets as well.

Appalling staff.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Hiking and Walking, Backpacking
  • Written July 26, 2010

• barryg23 profile photo barryg23
  • Reviews: 2896

Auberge La Vallee: Good Value Imlil Auberge

You’ll have no shortage of offers for hotels or rooms when you arrive in Imlil. However, we wanted to try Hotel Café Soleil as we knew they rented crampons and we hoped we’d get a good deal on the crampons if we stayed there. The hotel was full but they suggested their annex - Auberge la Vallee, at the top of the village.

A young boy lead us up and once we saw it we decided to take it as it was a reasonably good deal. We had a large room, (but with separate shower and toilet) for 150 Dirham. Breakfast was also included. There was no heating so it was a little cold during the night but we figured it would be good acclimatisation for later on near Toubkal.

The guys running the place were very friendly and looked after some of our gear which we left behind when we went on the Toubkal climb. After we descended from Toubkal and returned to Imlil we stayed a second night at the Auberge.

• Written April 9, 2007

Auberge La Vallee

• aztat profile photo aztat
  • Reviews: 13

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Dar Adrar: Guests house , clean and cheap riad

..Dar Adrar is a lovely place at the top of Imlil, run by one of the star guides of the atlas, Mohamed Aztat, and has great views from the roof terrace, peaceful rooms, hot shower and an in-house hammam. >>>

From the lonelyplanet guidebook 2007

Located in a stunning location, with great views up the Ait Souka / Tamatert valley. Dar Adrar is composed of : Upper House (3 standard rooms + salon) and Lower House (1 x triple, (en suite) break, 2 x double / twin (en suite), 1 x Salon, plus 1 small salon with chimney + Hammam) which has just been finished (Jan 2009). Mohamed graduated from the Tabant school in 2002, he organises treks and a number of other activities for clients. See also the equipment store that the family have opened.

Great views from the roof, many different walks can be done from the Gite, after walking why not take a Hammam

• Related to: Adventure Travel, Hiking and Walking, Family Travel
  • Written October 4, 2006

aztat

• aztat profile photo aztat
  • Reviews: 13

Dar Adrar: Dar Adrar : Clean and Cheap Riad

In Imlil, a picturesque Berber town set in the Western High Atlas mountains, about an hour drive south of Marrakech, enjoy the genuine Moroccan hospitality in the lovely family-run guesthouse Dar Adrar. The lodging features cosy guestrooms a roof terrace with panoramic views over the Imlil valley, and an on-site Hammam or Turkish bath. A complimentary breakfast is served every day from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. and delicious home-cooked meals can be provided on request, at an extra charge.

Guests staying at the Dar Adrar can also enjoy trekking & hiking tours guided by the owner Mohamed Aztat himself, a qualified Atlas mountain guide, and conveniently rent or buy the necessary mountaineering equipment in the on-site shop by the frontdesk
Guesthouse Dar Adrar features cosy and neat accommodation in beautiful, colourful Berber-style guestrooms, 3 of them with private bathrooms, hosting up to 4 people and offering grand views over the valley, as well as three standard rooms with shared facilities

....Sitting on top of the world and Imlil, Dar Adrar has simple rooms that don’t distract from the mountaintop views, an in-house hammam and an invaluable resource in owner and expert Atlas Mountain guide Mohamed Aztat ..>> From the Lonelyplanet guidedbook 2009

This a very clean GuestHouse (with a riad style) and have : 3 Ensuite rooms with private bathrooms , fire place , Berber salon, hammam and great view from the terrace.

• Related to: Seniors, Family Travel, Hiking and Walking
  • Written September 13, 2006
Tip Photo

• littlebush profile photo littlebush
  • Reviews: 1106

Slimanes gaff: Slimanes gaff

We stayed at Slimanes apartment - he owns Nature Trekking Maroc.it was included in the price.
It was a nice place, be warned theres no heating so bring a good sleeping bag.
theres heaps of other places to stay,just ask around or check your guidebook

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written January 8, 2006

• mi5chelle profile photo mi5chelle
  • Reviews: 116

Auberge Lepiney: Great campground and auberge

The facilities are great for both camping or staying in the inn. For the campers, there is a kitchen, showers, toilet and picnic tables.

The cook is very good and they can arrange for hiking packages for you.

The views of Imlil are spectacular from the Auberge since it is located high above the village center.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Adventure Travel, Backpacking