Dar Charkia

Derb El Halfoui 49-50, Bab Doukkala, Medina, Marrakech, 40 000, Morocco

More about Dar Charkia

An oasis in pandemonium

by TripAdvisor Member HolidyEm

Absolutely lovely riad set within easy walking distance of the main attractions Marrakech has to offer. Stylish, funky and friendly, this place was a treat to uncover, made all the more special due to Lisa's and Michael's welcome and friendly advice during our stay - nothing is too much bother! Beautiful rooms, great food ranging from dinner to a simple snack and the best mint tea in Morocco too! Definitely recommend this place for relaxing break - we want to come back at some point in the not too distant future.

Luxury and style amid chaos and culture

by TripAdvisor Member LisaVW

What a place! I booked this riad for a romantic break with my boyfriend after reading previous reviews on Tripadvisor and we were bowled over by the whole experience. Lisa, Michael and the staff provided a first class service with advice on where to eat, how to get about, haggling tips and just about anything else you can possibly need to know. This was our first visit to Morocco and it was made all the more special by the "insider" info we received from the time we arrived. We stayed in the Khimissa suite, which was absolutely stunning, as was the whole riad, stylishly furnished throughout, including the amazing roof terace. The location is great, just a few minutes stroll from the Medina and Djemaa el Fna. I will definitely go back and would recommend Dar Charkia to anyone looking for a calm, luxurious oasis amongst the crazy, fast-paced ambience of Marrakech.

Wow, what a wonderful place.

by TripAdvisor Member elizhWorcester

Just returned from a short stay at the Dar Charkia. I spent ages looking on the web for the right place, and certainly found it. I travelled with my husband and 4 friends. Dar Charkia is a stylish, peaceful haven in the middle of a chaotic and amazing city. A great place to stay for a weekend without the children.
This was our first trip to Marrakech and Lisa, Michael and all their lovely staff made us so welcome. Lots of tips on where to go, how to deal with the locals in the souks, an excellent suggest for a great night out and so much more.
Location wise, Dar Charkia is very easy to find, close to all the souks and about a 10 minute walk from the Jemaa El Fna.
The riad itself is beautifully decorated, lots of careful thought has gone into all the rooms, which are well appointed and very comfortable. I loved the colour combinations in our room (Sa'ada Suite) especially.
Breakfast on the roof terrace was excellent, a wonderful selection, so much on the second morning that we failed to eat it all. We also chose to have dinner on our first night, which was extremely good.
All in all, an excellent place to stay, nothing was too much trouble for Lisa, Michael and their staff. I can definately recommend Dar Charkia if you want a quiet haven where your every wish is no trouble at all.

A Glorious Oasis

by TripAdvisor Member delboy26

My wife and I returned only yesterday, having stayed at Dar Charkia and felt the immediate urge to tell other travellers what a memorable stay we had experienced. We definitely have never bothered to write reviews but we felt that an exception was very much in order. We spent a long time researching several places to stay and chose Dar Charkia as it seemed exactly what we were looking for, which was 5 stars but not in an hotel since we wanted to soak up the charm of the Riads. This was going to be a new experience for us and was a major departure from our normal type of accommodation.
The Riad itself is very well located near the Dar-el-Bacha Palace and the Souks. Whilst the taxis are probably the cheapest than anywhere else that we have ever stayed, you can walk to the main points of interest within minutes. The property is situated along with some other Riads in a small lane and at first glance, we were a little unsure quite what we had booked. The moment we walked through the wooden entrance, we knew that we had made a good decision. The courtyard, the terrace the overall decor and in particular, the contemporary rooms in a Morrocan style. There are many Riads in Marrekech from which to choose, some may even bit a little more luxurious and many more less so but if you are looking for comfort, peace and unbelievable attention, then the Dar Charkia is for you. The main reason for booking this Riad was primarily down to the other reports that guests had written and it is always difficult to know whether the reports are totally genuine. We can honestly say that the owners Lisa and Michael, as well as their delightful Morrocan team made us not just feel welcome but as if we were special. Their friendly greetings, smiles and attention to making our stay exceptional was tremendous and we would highly recommend this Riad as the place to stay.
Others have written about the advice given to guests on arrival including what to pay, where to eat and basically offering the visitor the inside track and we can confirm that this is true and was invaluable. My wife and I are both lovers of good food and Lisa will not recommend anywhere unless she has eaten there herself, unlike many concierges in 5 star hotels. We didn't have a bad meal and even had the occasional snack in the Riad itself. Basically, nothing is too much trouble for Lisa and Michael and we were sorry to leave but will definitely return to Marrakech and to Dar Charkia.

Mixed Feelings

by TripAdvisor Member Parade6

We were so excited about our girls outing to Marrakech! One of our party had been twice before but this Riad was new to us. We had our doubts as prior to booking we learned the facility was under renovation. But we were delighted with the rooms and the facilities. The owners were very welcoming and the staff charming. We were given an immediate overview of do's and dont's and were escorted to some of the best shopping locales in the city. The luncheon served upon arrival was outstanding and the food in this Rhiad is the best we've come across in Marrakech. However, we had a rather hectic and noisy evening at a restaurant booked for us on the Saturday night by the hotel...not our scene at all so it's important to specify the type of places you want to go. We're all getting on a bit and lively, noisey places were not our preference.
There is only one catch and this disappointed us somewhat. The owners were able to take our deposit with a credit card in sterling but we had to pay the remainder in cash. We were warned of this and came prepared but for 6 of us, that's a lot of cash to carry. Also, all other payment for food could be paid in the local currency but management was not prepared to split the bills for the 6 of us. We also had to pay the night before we left and were not aware of this. Management seemed genuinely angry with us for not realising this and we were awoken to pay that evening. In essence, the ease of credit card payment is something we all expect in this day and age and tas we are all professional women, the whole payment system seemed a little circumspect to us. There is no intention to change this policy according to management. I'm sure management have their reasons but we have never come across this before. Next time, we will know. Also, it is important to ask for dinners and lunches in advance as the staff is small. Having said this, the management did their best to accommodate at short notice but choices were extremely limited.
Not sure if we would go back but if you're a couple and want a quiet getaway that's safe, Dar Charkia is good.

Simply the Best

by TripAdvisor Member hopton

I own a busy restaurant in Jersey and have been unable to take a break for nearly three years including a honeymoon after getting married in April and so it was with some relief that my staff managed to tell me to get away for 10days on my honeymoon before my wife divorced me for ignoring her!!! I had some customers in the bar one evening and they were raving on about Morocco and having never been I asked them for more information. They gave the country the thumbs up and I decided OK this is where I will take my wife for the "big" trip. They gave me the name of a travel agent and as I wanted to split the holiday they recommended a couple of places to stay. One was in Marrakech and the other in Essouria. So the agent organised everything and so off we set to Marrakech for our holiday/honeymoon. First problem was the plane took three attempts to land as it was apparently windy, then we had to negotiate our way around the building of the new terminal and before we could get to our taxi we were hit with a sand storm for around 5 minutes and as my wife and I were huddling behind a car for shelter I felt that perhaps we should just go back to the terminal and catch a plane somewhere else. Then it started to rain as we got in the car. I suppose that at times like this you either cry or laugh and looking at my wife who normally (in my eyes) is the most beautiful woman on the planet and seeing her with her face and hair covered in sand, that mixed with the rain ,looked more like a mud pack I could do nothing but roar with laughter and she started to do the same as she looked at me. So the journey from the airport was with a mixture of trepidation as I started to wonder just what was next. As we entered the city the clouds started to roll away and the sun came out and we arrived at the drop off spot in our taxi and were greeted by two smiling faces who took control of luggage and within seconds we were heading down a couple of lanes to a wooden door.

One knock and the door was opened by another beaming face and we were ushered through where we were greeted by Lisa. One has to admire these people as the conversation was a totally normal one whilst we were standing there looking as if we had been mud wrestling with some hippo's. She quickly organised for our luggage to be taken to the room and set about getting us some refreshments and quickly got us to our room in order that we could clean ourselves up.

At that moment I felt that we had entered an Oasis of tranquility as we entered our room. It was perfect. After showerering and changing we came down to a perfect afternoon tea and lisa sat down with us and gave us what I can only describe as the best welcoming chat in a foreign country. She is so knowledgable and equally just so helpful with advice and tips. As we had decided on a two break holiday and we were leaving the following morning we decided to take advantage of Lisa's offer and eat in. Somewhere in the conversation we had mentioned that is was our "honeymoon" and it was a really fantastic surprise to find that they had set up the dining table on the roof beneath a canopy with candles all around us. It was PERFECT. After spending a few days in Essouria we came back to Dar Charkia for the remainder of the trip. In this day and age I have to say that if there were more people like Lisa and Michael as well as their daughter then we would all be fighting to decide where would go. Sadly this is the real world and my wife and I have to say that this family are the best hosts that we have ever been fortunate enough to meet. Lisa and Michael could not have been more helpful and this can also be said of their staff. The help ranged from Lisa taking around some little lanes to meet people who can make furniture for a new venture of mine down to her personally taking my wife shopping to finally a member of their staff taking me on the back of his motorcycle through the souks to a tailor who can make fantastic shirts at a fraction of UK costs.

Lisa also arranged some fantastic restaurants for us to visit and by the end of the trip you felt that you were staying with friends more than a business contract and it was with a little disappointment that I have just read a slightly negative opinion not about the property or the food but more about the situation over payment of peoples accounts.

So if anyone happens to read this before deciding whether to go and stay in the Riad please could you remember that Morocco is an emerging country and millions of people do not have bank accounts and therefore cash is normal. Bartering is normal and you pay with cash. Cash is the prime mover in the country. When staff go to pay for things they pay in cash and surely if this was your last night and from the way that the review reads they were leaving early in the morning then their account should have been settled on the last evening.

To me their comments are a little petty and I have to say that Dar Charkia was one of the best holidays that I have ever taken and my wife and I are looking forward to returning early next year and where will we stay???? Dar Charkia of course.

Spa & Shopping in Marrakech

by TripAdvisor Member LondonTraveller093

Having never been to Marrakech before I have nothing to compare this particular Riad to... however in terms of atmosphere, beautiful decoration and very convenient location there is nothing to fault it. The food is wonderful and beautifully presented and Lisa & Michael and the rest of the team are all extremely helpful and welcoming. With wonderful restaurant recommendations and superb shopping tips provided by Lisa and her daughter I had a fantastic weekend away and introduction to Marrakech and would thoroughly recommend both the City and Dar Charkia.

What an Amazing place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member MarieOssett

We had a fantastic holiday in Marrakech. The Raid Dar Charkia was a fantastic place to stay. I would recommend it to anyone who is thinking of visiting Marrakech. The rooms were beautiful, spacious and relaxing. The whole raid was amazing.
The holiday was made better by Lisa and Michael's knowledge of Marrakech. They took time out to recommend restaurants and places to visit. Lisa and Michael took care of us from the moment we arrived in Marrakech to the time we had to go home.

DAR CHARKIA - Marrakech Oasis

by TripAdvisor Member BigusB

Earlier this year my partner’s daughter and her beau took a trip to Marrakech. They returned full of stories extolling its virtues and energetically encouraged us to consider a trip. We decided to go for a few days as a precursor to my partner’s birthday in mid November.

We immediately fell in love with the place and spent a fabulous and all too short 5 days in this exciting and colourful city. As if the sights and sounds of a bustling Marrakech, with its ancient narrow lanes, abundance of colourful traders and the extreme courtesy and pleasantness of the people were not enough we found we were incredibly lucky to have selected our accommodation at the DAR CHARKIA Riad. It is a beautifully appointed hostelry and the designer/owner Lisa, together with her husband Michael, their bubbly and fun teenage daughter Leonora and the whole team certainly achieve their main objective - to create a ‘home from home’ atmosphere.

From the very moment of arrival one is made to feel special and very much at home. There appears to be little or nothing that Lisa and her team will not do to make your stay at Dar Charkia comfortable, enjoyable, fun and altogether memorable. We will not hesitate to unreservedly recommend the Dar Charkia nor to return there at the earliest opportunity.

In my view a host who can make you feel - upon departure - the sadness of leaving good friends has achieved the ultimate in hospitality standards.

Beautiful Riad

by TripAdvisor Member EliseLondon

Very friendly staff, excellant advise on things to do. The riad is beautifully done with a fabulous terrace in an excellant location. I highly recommend a visit. Elise, London

Comments