Derb El Fath no5, Es Salam, Medina, Marrakech, 40000, Morocco
Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 43% less and rated 16% higher than other 3 star hotels

More about Marrakesh

a beautiful ceiling!a beautiful ceiling!

Koutoubia Minaret, MarrakechKoutoubia Minaret, Marrakech

striking stucco, zellij and painted cedarwoodstriking stucco, zellij and painted cedarwood

look for the big icecream and youre there!look for the big icecream and youre there!

Map of hotel location

by T19HLR

We're looking to go to Marrakech and Fes in a few weeks time with friends, but they have already booked their hotels in which we cannot get availability now. Would anyone know where I can get a map of both Marrakech and Fes showing the locations of the hotels? I've tried having a look but can't find a suitable map, and the travel agent isn't very helpful either.

Thanks

RE: Map of hotel location

by JamalMorelli

Hi - get the Lonely Planet guide - it's got alot of choices and maps of both cities with the locations of the hotels and everything. Contact me in Fes if you are REALLY stuck, but I think you should be fine IF YOU BOOK in advance. Do not go into Fes without a reservation - it's dumb, dangerous, and a trip spoiler.

Travel Tips for Marrakesh

Bab Debbagh and the Tanneries

by barryg23

Marrakech's tanneries are located in the far east end of the medina, near Bab Debbagh. If you've seen the large and colourful tanneries in Fes, you'll be less impressed by the ones here. Marrakech's tanneries are spread out over a greater area than those in Fez, and while you can walk in and get quite close to the tanners, there is no one place to survey it all from.

The tanneries are easy to find. Bus number 5 goes from the Koutoubia mosque directly to Bab Debbagh. Alternatively, from within the medina, the easiest route is eastwards along rue de Bab Debbagh. You'll smell the tanneries before you see them. The entrances are behind marked doors which are often open, and you can wander in and look around, though you will probably be approached by guides as soon as you show an interest. Informal guided tours are available and it’s up to you what you pay.

Another site in this area, close to the tanneries, is Bab Debbagh, an Almoravid gates with three chicanes.

Dinner in Djemaa el-Fna

by sue_stone about Dinner in Djemaa el-Fna

One of the highlights of my time in Marrakech was eating dinner in Djemaa el-Fna (the main square). Every evening around dusk the square starts to fill up with stall after stall of food vendors. It is quite a scene as the light fades and the smoke starts to rise up from the giant cauldrons of boiling oil that is used to cook much of the food on offer.

All of the stalls are numbered, and some are obviously focused towards tourists with menus in English and spruikers trying to get you to take a seat. These stalls tend to sell a large range of food, with it all out on display for you to see. Other stalls are packed with locals, and there is no menu - just a limited selection to choose from.

Usually I am dubious about eating at 'street stalls', assuming that I will get sick from whatever I eat. However, I had only read positive things about eating in Djemaa el-Fna so was keen to give it a try.

Alison and I took a wander past all of the food stalls, checking out what was on offer and which places looked too touristy for our liking. We decided to be a little adventurous and eat at Stall number 14, which seemed to only be frequented by locals. We were squeezed onto a small bench, sitting opposite (and very close) to some locals who looked at us a little strangely at first. A hunk of bread was placed in front of us on a sheet of paper, then a small plate of mashed up roasted tomato and another plate of mashed deep-fried eggplant/aubergine. We used pieces of bread to eat, as there is no cutlery available (and it would be too dirty to want to use anyway!). The eggplant was absolutely delicious - the best thing I ate on our trip. We also ate some fried fish and some really delicious chips. When you finish eating they will give you a piece of paper to wipe your hands on.

We enjoyed the meal so much that we returned again the next night. We ate pretty much the same thing, as that was all Stall 14 had on offer, just a different type of fish this time. Each meal came to only about the equivalent of £5 pounds for two people.

It was a fabulous experience!

Must, Must Do - Total Luxury!!

by Donna_in_India

From the JEF we headed down one of the alleys to the Hammam Ziani. Hammams are public bathhouses dating back to when most homes didn’t have a bath so people gathered at a Hammam for their baths – a very social experience.

In Muslim tradition, the men’s and women’s sections are separate so my husband and I parted ways at the door. Inside our experiences would be the same. First you change out of your clothes – women may either wear a bikini, underwear, or nothing at all. Then you go into a circular steam room that has marble stools and stool-level sinks. You wash yourself – while one of the women washes your back – with this brown, gooey, soft soap – think molasses.

After that you sit in the steam for several minutes until someone comes for you. You lay down on a table and your skin is scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed – the idea being to take off all the dead skin. Then you are washed again before heading to the massage table where you have a wonderful massage. The table is plastic coated and when combined with the massage oil you are kind of sliding all over. It was wonderful!

Next it’s time for another wash, and at another table you are smeared with seaweed before being wrapped in plastic (sort of mummy like). For the next 30 minutes or so you are just so relaxed you are almost sleeping. Too soon, it’s time to get up and get in the shower. (We did go to another more famous Hamman, Les Bains de Marrakech, but this one was much better, although less "fancy" inside.)

A Hammam experience is as a much a MUST DO as the JEF!!

The Hall of the Twelve Columns

by mafi_moya

According to the tourist spiel, this great hall - part of the Saadian tombs - is the "finest example of Moroccan-Andalucian decorative art." And who am I to argue?

The hall is absolutely stunning - how much time and money it must have cost I couldn't even imagine. Sultan al-Mansour, his mother and his kids are buried inside amid the marble columns.

Marrakech Second Time Around

by SOLODANCER

"A Visit with an artist friend"

When I went back to Marrakech the second time around, it was primarily to pay a long overdue visit with a special friend, the great artist Rita Kallerhoff who makes Marrakech her second home outside of New York City.

Second visit to Marrakech since the initial one way back in the early 1990's. At the time there was with me no extra appurtenances of travel - no camera, no binocular, no personal gadgets of accessories, not even a wrist watch I remember and certainly no pre-plan itenerary. I went and I had a blast. But in retrospect I should at least have taken a few fotos which I could dearly have used on this page.

So this second visit to beautiful Marrakech was just as great, only that it was spent mostly with my friend Rita. I stayed at her dreamy and very picturesque home inside the Medina which is wholly spectacular for a woman and a foreigner at that to have accomplished amidst the constant curiousity and even bewilderment among the locals especially with the Arab women themselves unaccustomed to a Western woman's wiles, intent or allure...which she's got aplenty for one gutsy painter and also as a single woman above all. Well, it's easy to imagine that in situation such as this and the very nature of the place and culture that she threw herself in, there was the initial distrust, certainly utter unfriendliness from the local residents and even hatred that resulted in the extreme reaction of actual stoning of this creative lady. Luckily for her, she was unhurt by all this and succeeded over time to win everyone's trust and alliance.

So this was a special trip to hang out with a great friend; and we indulged ourselves in keeping ourselves exclusively at her home and venturing out only to take sultry walks around Marrakech and a obligatory side trip to lusty sea-infused Essaouira.

Comments