11 Derb Jdid Laksour, Marrakech, 40000, Morocco

Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

• This will do nicely thank-you very much

Very nice riad in Moussaine area (to the north-east of the Djemma el Fnaa) owned by a chap by the name of Jean-Patrick. Stayed for three days: great breakfasts. Okay terrace - due (after the completion of building work) to be extended which will give a great view of the Kouttoubia Mosque.
    By far the best location of any riad in which I've stayed: a wiggle to the right and up a bit and you're smack-bang in the souks.
    The evening shift is run by Hassan: a good bloke more comfortable speaking French than English.
    Will upload more piccies in the fullness of time.

ONE POINTER: at the time of writing Dar Silsila does not accept card payment and must be paid in cash (Euro or Dirham). However, due to the location, this is not going to pose any great problems

Unique Quality: Whilst it doesn't have a classic fountain it does have a great wall water-feature. And an orange tree. With lights. It doesn't sound like much but really really is. On this trip we stayed in three riads and this was the best.

Directions: Moussaine

More about Dar Silsila

A way of showing our appreciation...

by TripAdvisor Member Framboisie

My husband and I (English and American, early 30s, no kids) travelled to Morocco at the end of October, spending 3 nights in Marrakech out of a total of 9. We stayed at Dar Silsila on the last two nights of our trip and loved the place.

The service was superb - nothing was too much trouble. The room was lovely - simply and beautifully decorated . As far as food, we only breakfasted there and the homemade yogurt was so good it has inspired us to start making our own.

If we go back to Marrakech we will most certainly stay there again. The 'Hip Hotel' books are usually a starting point for our travel plans but find the list of hotels that combine real value with style to be shorter than we'd like. (Though there is one in Skoura that we have reviewed separately). This small riad had it all for us - it was warm and welcoming, stylish and intimate and we would return to without hesitation. And it was incredibly well located.

Perfect holiday retreat

by TripAdvisor Member Geoff_Su

Arrived on December 13th. Jean Patrick had organised a taxi to collect us from the airport and we and our luggage where transported to Dar Silsila.It was as warm and welcoming and our room was exotic and vibrant as per photos on web. When we were ready we came down and sat down to an amazingly delicious dinner and a bottel of wine.The location of the Dar as we discovered the next day is 5-6 minutes walk from the main square and the Koutobia. The new district Gueliz is a 20 minute walk or a 15-20 Dirham taxi ride.
Overall the food in Marrakesh is good but at the end we resorted to eating at Dar Silsila because the food and the service was exquisite.
Jean patrick is allways onhand to sort out any small problems. He has two reliable drivers who speak English and are more than willing to organize various sightseeing trips for example a trip to Essouira , Atlas mountains or to a secluded lake side restaurant for a memorable meal, formed part oif our Itinerary.
Jean Patrick can book tables at good restaurants and also was helpful in booking at a modern Hamman/Spa.
Dar Silsila , Jean Patrick , his wonderful cook Ayesha and his night manager Hassan all managed to make this weeks holiday in Marrakesh, as a most memorable experience.
God willing we hope to return one day.

Stylish comfort in the Medina

I used Tripadvisor as a guide when selecting accommodation for my Christmas break. Dar Silsila lived up to expectations in every respect. It is well located within comfortable walking distance of all the main sites in the old and new parts of the city. A quiet room is very important to me. The riyad is near the end of a cul de sac in a peaceful, safe residential district. The Imman's early morning call to prayer is audible but not disruptive and this should not deter you from staying at Dar Silsila.

The riyad is stylishly and exotically decorated in local style and has been open and run by Jean Patrick for about the two years. We stayed in the garden terrace room on the top floor. We had a separate lounge, bathroom and bedroom. I particularly liked the dark woodwork, enhanced by red voiles, candles and vases of red roses and the red ceramic basin with antique coloured daisy shaped taps. The local style was juxtaposed throughout the building with modern touches. The lanterns and floor tiles mixed with a row of coloured sculptured heads in the alcove in the dining room which fascinated us each morning and the coloured lights in the domed ceiling above the stairs.

Jean Patrick's spontaneous welcome and concern for our comfort added to our enjoyment. Being real foodies, we appreciated his guidance about restaurants and his concern to ensure we ate well throughout our stay. His staff Hassan and colleagues added warmly to our welcome.

I recommend that you ask Jean Patrick to order a taxi from the airport (15 Euros). Cars cannot stop outside the Riyad. The labyrinth of alleyways can be disorientating when you first arrive and the driver will accompany you on the short walk from the taxi to Dar Silsila.

We particularly enjoyed eating at Toubkah restaurant on the main square. A tastily cooked Tagine or Couscous costs about 25-30 Dirhams (approximately £2/3 Euros). Equally, Al Fassia in Gueliz is more expensive but made for a well cooked and leisurely lunch on our last day. I can recommend the chicken Tagine with caramelized pumpkin.

Perfection

by TripAdvisor Member Burntwood

I stayed at Dar Silsila for 4 nights over New Year with my partner and another couple and I really cannot fault it. I'll avoid a lengthy review as there are so many on this site already, but everything, from the host and staff, the communal space and the bedrooms were perfect - we were in the Junior Suite and it was the most beautiful (and romantic!) room I've ever stayed in. I was wowed by the whole place throughout our stay.

The only (very slightly) negative thing about our room was that it didn't have a proper shower so opt for one of the other rooms if that's important to you. There was a shower attachment so it was manageable and not worth not going to Dar Silsila for, but worth noting.

A couple of other bits of advice:
* It's important to mention that when you arrive you will be dropped off a few minutes walk away from the Riad and have to walk down a back alley to get there. Don't be put off or wonder what's going on!
* Ask Jean Patrick for advice on a Hamman, trips and places to eat, he's so helpful you'd be missing some invaluable experiences if you don't.

Fantastic

by TripAdvisor Member ScubaCat28

I stayed here for 3 nights during a week in Morroco with my mum. The Riad is really centrally located and within walking distance of most of the main sites.

I can only confirm what all the other reviewers have said - this is a lovely place to stay and a wonderful conclusion to our trip. From the moment we walked in I felt so at home, the place looked (and smelt) beautiful. It was also incredibly tranquil - although the Riad was fully booked we hardly felt the presence of the other guests.

Our room overlooked the beautiful courtyard and its water feature, the beds were really comfortable and we appreciated the evening turn-down service and rose petals on our first night.

By far the best thing about this place is the staff, from our personal welcome by Jean Patrick, to the mint teas whilst relaxing in the lounge in the afternoons it was just fantastic. I thought it was lovely of Jean Patrick to check how we were at breakfast in the mornings and answer any questions, or book any trips we fancied. I really felt it helped us see the best of Marrakech.

I can't wait to stay here again!

Wonderful and In Good Taste

by TripAdvisor Member SDWanderlust

After a four night stay at the Dar Silsila, it was one of the best experiences in terms of lodging. I am a frequent traveler and have stayed at various types lodging from a backpacking places to the Four Seasons. I would not hesitate to say that Dar Silsila is one of the best value places money can buy. I love Dar Silsila for the following reasons.

First, the location, it is right in the old city, Medina. Once you step out of the house, you will experience Morrocan ways of life right away. It is such a contrast-so busy, loud, and complicated, a complete opposite to the serene inside of the house. It is only a few minutes walk to the main square. On the way to the square one has to past many of the souks. As Marrakech does not have much in terms of the conventional sites to visit, visiting the souks is a huge part of having fun in Marrakech

Second, it is a rather intimate place with only four rooms. I had the Suite Afrique, the room was done with extreme GOOD TASTE. I can say this because I had a chance to check out some other more expensive and opulence places including the Palais Rhoul ( a really nice place), a 360 euros per night. min. It is certain that Dar Silsila does not have the facilities like Palais Rhoul. However, it is in very good taste. It has many details that give you a sense of staying in an authentic and beautiful Morrocan house without the kitsch that I see at other places. The bed was comfortable. I loved the white sheets and nice pillows.

Third, I agree with almost all other reviews about this property. on here. The people at the place is very nice and kind. Mr. Jean Patrik was not at the property as he was on vacation. Nevertheless, whatever I need, people at the Dar would help me. For instance, when I asked to borrow an iron, they insisted that I give them my clothes and they would press them for me. Yeah, try that at the Four Seasons (they would charge you an arm a leg for that). We also ordered dinner at the Dar one night, the food was good and as nice as at some other top places such as Tobsil though the meal at the Dar was less decadent in terms of portions , presentation, and other various small starters.

Here is an issue that might be a problem for some. The hot water in the bathroom was slow to response. For me the "water" issue was the only so called "annoyance" I had encountered at the Dar Silsila. However, I guess that such a problem is common in Morocco.

On an unrelated note: must try hamam (at some nice places not the cheap public places) and Square food at night. Those were the highlights of my trip to Marrakech.

Fantastic hospitality

by TripAdvisor Member KINGKONG3

Just a quick note to confirm what others have written!
Had a fantastic stay here in Jan 2007, for three nights. I've never stayed anywhere where the staff were so accommodating. The rooms and the riad were decorated in fantastic morrocan style, the bed was super-comfortable and the food delicious (both evening meals and breakfast)
The staff were great, sorting out some of the details of a trip we'd planned for us, serving us breakfast early when we requested, and leaving rose petals on our bed on the first night.
When you add how cheap it was (£40 per night, per room) I don't think you can go wrong.

One word of advice - I think you'd be very hard pushed to find it by yourself, much better to get the riad to arrange a transfer!
Would recommend without hesitation, and would certainly come back!

A Moroccan Gem

by TripAdvisor Member chrishandley

So many reports have praised the qualities of Jean-Patrick to the skies that we were concerned to hear that he would be away on holiday during the period of our stay. (Yes, even the indefatigable J-P needs a break occasionally – and from all accounts he certainly deserves one!) We need not have worried. He had installed his friend Barbette (Director of Tourism for Toulouse, no less!) in his office and she was the perfect hostess. Her knowledge of Marrakech (especially its restaurants) was excellent and she met our every request with friendly efficiency. The staff were absolutely wonderful, attending to our every need and, on one night, providing one of the best meals we had in our two week stay in Morocco. Breakfasts were excellent and varied – sometimes pancakes, sometimes muffins, always freshly squeezed orange juice and home-made yoghurt. We can strongly recommend the Terrace Suite which has a comfortable sitting area with satellite TV and CD player. All in all, this Dar is superb value, considering its amenities and location, only five minutes’ walk from ‘La Place’.

worth every penny

by TripAdvisor Member borris

This riad truly is a little gem hidden in the Medina. The room was lovely, The bed was comfy and the room was a pleasant size. and the staff bent over back wards and nothing was too much trouble. Every time we left the raid they would go in and re hang the towels, re make the bed etc.

We didn't get the chance to meet Jean Patrick as he was on Holiday, but the woman who in his place supplied us with maps, helpful knowledge etc. and she was very friendly.

We ate at the Riad for one night only, it was great home made food! Definitely recommended if you re too tired.

We got the transfer from the airport, which is recommended as it could be very difficult to find the riad on your own! (unless you have been there before).

I would definitely recommend staying here and if I return to Marrackech I will be!

Have a good look round Marrakech and have fun bartering!

Comments