El Andalous Hotel Marrakech

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 43% less but rated 15% lower than other 4 star hotels

• El Andalous Hotel Marrakech

Just came back from a weeks stay in Marrakesh, stayed at El Andalous Hotel from 09/02/12 to 18/02/12.
    At first reading the reviews (mainly from the BRITS!!) I had mixed feelings about this hotel, but after staying their for a week I can only say I loved the hotel, the location and the facilities. The hotel itself was modern, clean, the rooms were tip top, the service we received from the cleaners to waitors to the reception staff was A CLASS.. The staff were very polite and accomodated to all our needs, e.g the heating was not working in one of our rooms and the kids were cold and the heating could not be fixed that day, the reception gave me a set of keys to another empty room and said go and take a look, if you like that apartment we will move your things, In the end we stayed in the same room as the view was great and the hotel gave us extra blankets instead but fixed the heating the very next day. The restruant staff were very polite and and accommodated to our needs, e.g my son had a period of food poisining from eating o/s the hotel, the restraunt staff gave us some special food to help his stomach to take to the room where he was sleeping. The hotel was a 4* and not like a 3* which most people rated, the pool area was clean, plenty of towels etc. The hotel itself was very very clean thoughout our stay. I think people just compare a 4* to the UK 4* which is wrong, for a african nation i think morroco was very advanced.

I would like to thank the restruant staff who made our stay cheerful ....

I would most definetley book and stay at this hotel again, remember if you go to this hotel in ramadhan (fasting period July/august) then you may experience the slight moodyness from the staff as they have not eaten or had any water during the day and may loose their rag, but any other time you should enjoy your time.

Any questions about morroco and what to expect, pay for, taxis or sights etc give me a email and I will respond. I met a reliable taxi driver who I used for a week and very cheap, I can also give you his number etc. email me in nistar11@hotmail.co.uk

• tim07's Profile Photo

Standard accommodation close to the action.

The hotel was clean & had good decor. Reception staff spoke English, currency can be exchanged there. There is also a gift shop in the lobby.

I stayed half board. The only problem was the breakfast. The bread on offer was stale, the milk, juice & coffee didn't taste good either. There were some trays of cooked food, such as pancakes & potato. This was cold too. I only attempted breakfast once, this put me off any evening meal there.

I would still recommend the hotel, as apart from the food, I can find no other faults with it.

Unique Quality: The hotel has it's own small garden area, with a decent sized pool.

The hotel 'La Casa' bar is worth a visit. Berber columns cloaked in drapes, multi coloured lighting. Lots of cosy table led seating areas. There was a band playing the night I was there.
    An ideal place for a drink before retiring or a night out in Marrakesh.

Directions: The walk to Koutoubia mosque is 20 mins. It can be a bit hard to get your bearings due to lack of street signs. 2 routes I used were along Avenue El Qadissa to Avenue Mohammed V. The other was along Avenue De La Menara to Koutoubia.

• Gillybob's Profile Photo

Quiet Getaway with Easy Access

Hotel El Andalous is situated in the Hivernage area of Marrakech. Rooms are of ample size with en suite and balcony. We had a room overlooking the front entrance. Mainly quiet with the odd occasional street noise. The hotel has a lovely airy reception area with helpful staff. Facilities include a large swimming pool, childrens pool, tennis court, spa, bars, restaurants and usual business facilities.

Unique Quality: The swimming pool here is quite large so if you want to keep up your laps whilst on holiday you won't find it a problem.

Breakfast was a strange melange between continental and a bit more. Usually scrambled egg and some sort of grilled tomatoes with little else in the way of hot buffet but a great selection of fruits, yoghurts, pastries, breads and cold meats. Strangely, cuttlery and large plates were often in short supply.

If staying here on a half board option, you have the choice of taking lunch or dinner. Dinner was, again, a buffet selection with self-service (like breakfast) and, again, seemed to suffer from the occasional lack of cutlery and large plates - maybe time for the hotel management to do some purchasing!

Staff are helpful with advice on how to get around Marrakech and available tours.

Directions: From the airport you can take a Petite Taxi for 2 at a cost of around 75Dhs.
    Watch for Grand Taxi drivers, they readily pounce as you approach the taxi rank but also charge 160Dhs for the same journey (all because they drive Mercedes Benz cars).

• 4* Hotel with 2* food!

We stayed at the Hotel half board for a week in July 2006.
    The rooms were average sized with a small but nice balcony overlooking the pool.
    They were clean but in need of refurbishment.
    The pool area was very nice, set in pleasant surroundings.
    The main problem with this hotel was the standard of the food which in our opinion was of 2* standard.
    The hot breakfast consisted of watery scrambled egg, fried potatoes and boiled eggs.
    The evening meal selection wasnt much better and when served outside it tended to attract flies.
    Some of the staff at the hotel were polite and friendly whereas others would not give you the time of day!
    I would only recommend this hotel if you get a cheap deal and I wouldnt bother with going half board.

More about El Andalous Hotel Marrakech

Here is a list of hotels...

by lafrenr

Here is a list of hotels (withe the telephone numbers)where I stayed. All of them where affordable,well located and very nice:
Casablanca: Basma Hotel (downtown)(212 2)223323
Ouarzazate: Hotel Farah Al Janoub (212 4)884888
Agadir: Hotel Oasis (212 8)843313

Hotel cuisine

by tini58de about El Andalous

Since we had booked a hotel with breakfast and dinner, we ate at the hotel restaurant 3 out of 4 nights!

The food consisted of a buffet of starters - fried eggplant, sliced tomatos, tuna fish salad - you name it, they got it!

In addition they had warm meals - usually 3 different types and some delicious desserts!

The food was good, but not exceptional, I guess it was regular hotel food, but I won't complain!

Very good value for money

by TripAdvisor Member Andyvon

My wife and I have just spent a week in the El Andalous Hotel and we were very happy. The hotel is well placed just 10 minutes walk from the medina and some 20 minutes from Jemaa-el-Fna.

The hotel staff are all very friendly, regardless of whether they are receptionists, cleaners or waiters. The main doors are always opened by friendly Berber doormen, and porters carry your cases. The restaurant waiters always greeted us and shook our hands every meal time, and they frequently presented my wife with cut fruit and a flower at our table. However, it did become apparent that they were expecting a tip on our last day. (We did give them one to share but I always feel peeved when hotels pay their staff so little they must rely on tips from the guests). Nevertheless, tipping is a way of life in Morocco and many similar countries and this was nothing different.
The hotel rooms are large and clean and the standard of the daily cleaning service is good. The restaurant food was somewhat mediocre (despite the greetings and flowers), but we have certainly had far worse in other hotels when we have paid far more.

Reading some of the other reviews, have never understood people who pay three- or four-star prices and then complain that they don't receive five-star service. If they were paying per night what they are paying for a whole week then they might have a point (don't buy a basic Ford and then complain to the dealer that it doesn't drive like a Jag!). The El Andalous Hotel is excellent value for money and any minor faults are far outweighed by the comfort and service. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Nice hotel pity about the food

by TripAdvisor Member FranFrenchInUk

Stayed at the El Andalous hotel for 5 nights in February with my husband. Found the place clean and comfortable if a little in need of a little renovation here and there. Ie bathroom although very clean a little tired, bedding a little basic, no full length mirror in bedroom (essential for any woman and a lot of men!). But to balance that the staff is very helpfull and plesant with it, the hotel pool is fabulous after a dusty day exploring, although the staff can be a little too obvious in their quest for a tip by treating you sometimes with more attention than is required! It can get embarrassing and a bit annoyiong. The only drawback of the hotel is the food which is at best passable and at worst plain not nice. Pointless going to the other restaurant in the hotel which is no better even though the decor is better, Canteen food spring to mind, and the snack bar at pool side is no better, Never mind Marrakech has a lot to offer the tourist more interesting than food. All in all had a great break and would recommend the place to anyone, but 5 days in Marrakech is plenty to see the city. And don't be affraid to really barter for everything I found that I ended up paying around 1/3rd of original asking price.

no more than three stars

by TripAdvisor Member RocknRollStar

I can see why other reviers complained about this hotel, but it wasnt really bad in terms of value for money.

In terms of location it isnt bad as its not too far away from the medina and not too far from Guerliz the new quarter. When you arrive, however, the cab isnt allowed inside the hotel grounds and there is not a member of staff firthcoming to assist you with your luggage.

We were travelling with two young children and wanted one room with two double beds and the hotel was able to accommodaye us with this, and we thus had to pay for one room, which I know from experience isnt always possible.

Room did not have a curtain shower and as we travelled in December was quite cold during the night and our requests for additonal blankets fell on deaf ears, further room cleaning was slow, and the rug in the room had seen better days.

The staff in the restaurant were attentive, however the doorman couldnt be botehered unless they werent chatting, and the spa is a miss in terms of staff attitude, although it was a good massage.

We has half board and the first night they had a Morroccan buffer which we hardly touched. Im not saying it was bad, as this was our first taste of Morroccan food, it just didnt appeal to us. Breakfast is what you would expect from an average three star hotel, which is what this is really.

I loved the hotel decor, but could do with an uplift and renovation !!

Good value, clean and location okay

by TripAdvisor Member haggisinlondon

Went for a week stay with my girlfriend. The hotel was pretty good, very cheap as part of a package. The breakfast was included and pretty average. The pool was heated and even in December we could swim so that was good.

Got ripped off getting a taxi from the airport to the hotel as its about 3km from there but it was late and we were tired so do haggle the price of that.

There is a fairly trendy restauarant downstairs at the hotel with non-Moroccon food which is a nice change and its licensed.

Location wise it was in a good area and not far from everything.

Lovely staff

by TripAdvisor Member grinningcat

This is an excellent hotel for the price. It's well situated for people who don't mind a short walk to see the sights. It has a selection of restaurants offering a wide variety of food. Without exception, we found all the hotel staff to be friendly, helpful and efficient. There's an ATM in the entrance hall. The taxi drivers charge way over the rate for airport trips -- we were charged 100 dirhams by drivers who were then looking for tips on top of that, although the hotel had advised that the fare would be about 50 - 60 dirhams. If you want to ride in a caleche choose carefully - lots of the horses are under-nourished and look ill treated. Some have their legs tightly hobbled with string when not working and most have whip marks on their hind quarters. At the line of caleches always waiting by Djemma el Fna we chose one pulled by horses which looked better treated than most and then requested the driver not to whip them. If everyone did the same perhaps the owners/drivers would eventually get the message and improve the care of their animals.

riad al andaluz

by foxymoxy

hello,

has anyone stayed at this riad before??? can't find any reviews on them...

Re: riad al andaluz

by lucyt

Could it be that you're looking for the HOTEL el Andalous which is in the Hivernage part of the city?

Comments