Grand Hotel Tazi

Avenue El Mouahidines / Bab Agnaou , Marrakech, Morocco

Satisfaction Terrible

• Bennytheball's Profile Photo

Memorable Accommodation.....

I must be a creature of habit, as soon as I alighted from the train at Marrakesh station my shoes instinctively started walking towards the Medina down Avenue Mohammed V and led me to the Hotel Tazi. I've stayed here quite a few times over the years, it's ideally located close to the Medina and all the main sights of interest. I had no reservation, as usual, so on arrival I asked the desk clerk for a room for two nights, at first I was directed to a claustrophobic room with a window view of a wall, so when I complained I was given a much better one, 215 which had an excellent view of the street below.

The room rate Dh 280 was non-negotiable ( I always try) but he insisted "that is a good price!" The room was spacious with a large comfortable bed, desk, chair and clean ensuite bathroom. The air conditioning was operational but did not deliver sufficient cold air in an ambient temperature of 38C.

There is a bar and restaurant on street level, although I preferred to eat in any of the many quality surrounding cafes. The eccentric expressionless waiter with a penchant for floral neckties was difficult to locate when I wanted another beer, no tapas are served except a ghastly plate of junk food popcorn which I told him to take away. There is a widescreen television in the bar for football addicts. Some evening entertainment in the plush restaurant consisted of a belly dancer dressed in a full length blue gown wobbling around the tables with a silver tray filled with lighted candles balanced on her head, quite extraordinary!

The old hotel now retains an atmosphere of decadence, I think it would have been a very upmarket establishment a long time ago.

On the second night I was attacked by mosquitoes while asleep (non-malarial in Morocco) not the fault of the hotel everything was clean enough, but I think they arrived through the window, I had to leave it open at night for cooling.

I would definitely stay here again, but don't think a return visit to Marrakesh will be one of my future priorities.

Unique Quality: Ideally situated close to the Djemma el Fna Square, Souks, Medina and other main sites of interest. Swimming pool on the roof, large roof terrace and some rooms have an excellent view of the streets below.

Directions: a few minutes walk from the main Medina square, Djemma el Fna.

• sunnysarah's Profile Photo

budget hotel with pool!

We spent one night here.
    We chose it becasue of the pool.
    Price was$300 w/o breakie, $360 with for 2 people with air con, bathroom and TV

The rooms aren't exceptionally clean or fabulous. The bathroom is a tad dodgy. It was reall y loud outside and had to sleep with earplugs in. the pool was OK for a quick dip, but I wasn't for sure about how clean it was. I imagine the whole place was great in the 70's when everything was new, but now it is a bit shabby. Perfect for backpackers on a budget!
    The restaurant/bar below has beers for $25, was showing the World Cup games when we were there and has a 3 course set menu for $150. Right on the corner so a taxi can drop you off in front.

Unique Quality: Has a pool

• realde14's Profile Photo

Centrally located hotel

The Grand Hotel Tazi is very centrally located at the far end of Rue Bab Agnaou, which leads to Jemaa el Fna. The rooms are big and nicely decorated and painted.

Unique Quality: Location is excellent, and the pool is nice too.

Directions: Close to La Place

• deeper_blue's Profile Photo

Good service close to markets, with swimming pool

The Hotel is a nice escape from the hustle and bustle outside, the staff are good and professional, the coridoors upstairs are very long though. In the evenings they have live entertainment. When I was there it was a two man band see above.
    The hotel can organise trips to the Sahara and in the Atlas Mountains 2/3 days. Just speak to Mustapha and tell him I sent you. He has a book full of photos and comments from people who have already been.

Unique Quality: Nice swimming pool + laundry service.

Comments