Hotel Du Golf

More about Marrakesh

secret entrancesecret entrance

Which Way?? MarrakeshWhich Way?? Marrakesh

Petit TaxiPetit Taxi

ceiling of the orginal hammanceiling of the orginal hamman

Advice on a daytrip to Ourika Valley and Setti Fatma

by J.I.M

A friend and I are visiting Marrakech in early December for a few days. We want to spend at least one day outside the city, and since it's not too far away, the Ourika Valley seems the best choice. We'd really like to do some hiking in the area and to get some nice views of the Moroccan scenery and traditional villages. However, I'm not sure where exactly would be the best place for us to get our bus/taxi to.
We really want to visit Setti Fatma, but this place is quite deep into the valley, so maybe it would be better for us to start off slightly further northwest somewhere, then hike the rest of the way to Setti Fatma. We'll have a whole day so we don't mind hiking quite a distance. Can anyone recommend a good place for us to start? Or any good hiking routes (or is it best just to walk along the road?).
Also, do you know if the buses/taxis leave Setti Fatma in the late afternoon/evening time?
Any help or information on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Jim

by angiebabe

Hi the Lonely Planet guide is very good for info wanted like this - has a good chapter on hiking and hiking routes

- otherwise Id suggest going to Imlil - there are frequent buses to Asni and then grande taxi up to Imlil and theres lots of excellent walks around there - not just the 2 day trip up to Toubkal and back - I met a couple of good guides earlier this year, one who owns the gite I stayed at if you want to be guided.

by jocelyneca

hi.

it's the easiest option but it doesn't offer good walking possibilities.
Imlil is a valley at the foot hills of toubkal, it offers beautiful sceneries and good 2 to 3 hours walking through local villages and vallies.
have a look at guide-trekking-maroc.kom they offer good plans
good luck

by J.I.M

thank you both for your replies. I'm still not sure where we will start. we'll probably just go to Setti Fatma and explore from there and hope for the best.

Travel Tips for Marrakesh

People of Marrakech

by keeweechic

More than 1 million people live in Marrakech. The population is made up of Arab, African, French and Berber descent, with some Tuareg and Belgians thrown into the mix. Everyone speaks French, also a lot speak Arabic. Berber is also spoken. Not too many speak English other than those dealing with tourists such as hotel staff and taxi drivers, however in the Medina you won’t usually have too many problems.

heading out to Oukaimden

by angiebabe

Its a good proper road to get there and Ive been up it myself - in a car! I usually recommend rental cars as best way to get about for tourists there - or hire a grande taxi from Marrakech for the day - ie go down to the big grande taxi rank and hire a driver and taxi - usually no more than 750 dirham for the day and you can make a good day of it - otherwise rent a car for whatever days youre around and see more nice places around the area - such as out to Tin Mal on the way to TiznTest and even keep going over the pass and down to Taroudannt.
Generally if the roads get snowed on the snow ploughs are out to clear the roads.
Theres skiiing available up at Oukaimden as well - hire equipment on the spot there.
Dont worry too much - just go and see what happens and enjoy the place and your trip - whatever happens people are about to deal with the situation and youll be fine!

Colourful hacienda experience

by roza_hr about Chez Ali

One of the most unforgettable memories of my trip to Morocco was the dinner show in a hacienda restaurant called Chez Ali in Marrakech. Unfortunaely I can't say much about the prices as it was organized and payed by the organizer of the Global Summit of Women, which was my reason for being there. But I believe the prices are much lower than of any such kind of event in any European country.

The evening was truly memorable. Folklore singers, musicians, belly dancers, beduins with camels and fakhirs with snakes, Arabic poetry readings, fashion shows and finally the stars of the evening, incredible Berber riders, unnaturaly servile staff and traditional cousine in 5 courses under the starry sky are the reasons why this restaurant is definitely worth paying a visit. Well I have to say I can't really understand their obsession with peanuts. Another thing surprised me: they like grease a lot. A LOT. Sugar too. Which is strange since it's sub-Saharian area with not too much water around.

However I ate some of the best cakes there, and I really like their traditional mint tea, that is when they don't overload it with suger.

Musee de Marrakech

by barryg23

Beyond the labyrinth of streets in the souks lies a quiet square, Place ben Youssef, which is home to a number of attractions, including the Marrakech Museum.

The museum, founded in 1997, is housed in a beautiful riad (stylish Moroccan house with courtyard). The rooms of the riad are exhibits in themselves and visitors can get a good understanding of how a Moroccan family lives (or at least how an affluent family might live).

There was also a exhbition of paintings on display, mostly depicting men on camels and horses. Nothing spectacular about that, though it's rare to see any non-abstract art in Morocco as Islamic art typically does not depict people.

The museum is good value at 30 Dh per person. There is also a nice cafe in the courtyard near the entrance.

Catch these Water sellers of...

by Krystynn

Catch these Water sellers of Morocco (a vanishing trade).... here at yes, Djemaa el-Fna Square.

If you're taking a pic of them... be prepared to fork out 10 dirhams (or US$1)... their asking price. It's NOT for free, mind you! I didn't realize I had to fork out 10 dirhams until one of them ran after me and asked me to 'pay up!' and he initially wanted to charge me 20 dirhams for taking a pic of him (the creep!)... I had to BARGAIN like crazy before he'd let me off.

Anyway, there are lots of interesting activities to catch here at the Square by mid-afternoon... Again, it's not for free. Woe to you if you even THINK of running off without paying the snake handlers! They'll THROW the snakes at you if you don't pay them. Not kidding...

Have fun watching the fire eaters... the musicians beating their gembrit... the drums in an incessant rhythm.... the Gnawa dancers of Sudanese origin, black as coal and agile as gazelles.... and admire these water venders....

Comments