Derb Djama 3 t Riad Zitoun L'Kedim, Marrakech, 40000, Morocco

Priceline.com Booking.com

• vtveen's Profile Photo

a real "thousand and one night feeling"

Although it is called a ‘hotel’, it is a real ‘riad’. It does exist of two traditional Moroccan residences and also has two patios, a lot of ‘hidden’ corners, a nice roof terrace with a restaurant (and breakfast room). Reviews of riads often refer to the great views from these terraces, but we only saw a lot of other roofs. But it is a nice place for a breakfast (or dinner when it is a little bit warmer); even early December people were having it outside in the morning sun.

Sherazade offers more than 20 different rooms; ours was rather spacious with a separate ‘sitting room’ (which we didn’t use at all, because we were exploring the city and the surrounding area), had a small bathroom and a very firm mattress.
    As said rooms are all different and so are the rates (check the hotel website); rates are without breakfast (we paid 50 Dirham per person), which allows you to have breakfast in another café.

The staff, at the front desk and in the restaurant, was very friendly and helpful and speaks French, English and German. They arrange taxis, rental cars and day trips. It is possible to store your luggage before you have to leave for the airport.

Unique Quality: It will not be unique for this hotel only, but Hotel Sherazade really gave us a ‘thousand and one night feeling’.
    Staff is friendly and helpful.
    The location - just a couple of hundred meters from Jemaa el Fna and still very quiet - is excellent. All the sights in the medina are in walking distance.

Minus points
    We had some trouble making a reservation. After emailing my credit card numbers I never got a confirmation, so I had to make an extra phone call. After arriving in the hotel the front desk couldn’t find any email or reservation. So we ended in a more expensive room than we wanted.
    Try to get a confirmation with the room (number) you want to have !!

We used the pick up service from the airport offered by the hotel and were charged for 200 Dirham. Using the same ‘petit taxi’ to the airport we had to pay to the driver 80 Dirham. Although I asked, I still don’t understand the difference between these two fares.

Directions: In the medina, just 200 metres from the main square Jemaa El Fna.

• Sambawalk's Profile Photo

Classy Raid, but not the high end

The riad is decorated in traditional style with very nice court and roof top garden (see pics). I didn’t stay there as it was full. Room rate starts from Dh150-500. Reservation is highly recommended (Tel: 044-429-305). I didn't stay there.

The pics speak for themselves.

• Marrakech's hidden hotel

This is a really beautiful and inexpensive hotel, very close to the Djemaa el Fna. It's very hidden, and you couldn't tell from the outside, but the inside is beautiful. Decked out with Moroccan friezes (tilework), plants and fountains, and every room is very nice looking. The main courtyards open out to the sky. There is a terrace on the roof- a great place for an evening mint tea (the Moroccan national drink).

Unique Quality: It's right nextdoor to one of the many mosques in Marrakech, so be prepared to hear the hasans (calls to prayer).

More about Hotel Sherazade

Marrakesh -- Hotel Sherazade...

by Amy-Peter

Marrakesh -- Hotel Sherazade (pictured) is in the Medina, just off the main plaza. Breakfast is on the terrace on the top floor. Downsides -- it's just next door to the mosque and, yes, they do pray at 4 am.

Tinerhir -- Hotel Tomboctou -- $30 buys you a comfortable room in a Kasbah. Don't eat dinner in the restaurant.

Oarzazate -- Hotel Riad Salaam was a luxurious change of pace for us, at just $92 a night.

Dream in Marrakech. Marrakesch, de ensueño.

by eskultor about Hotel Sherazade

When I opened the door of my room I found a very small privacy beautyful space. Everything clean, of course is not the typical hotel and maybe is not for all kind of people. For me was a dream becoming true. The service is very good, people always helping you with a real smile.

Cuando abrí la puerta de mi habitación encontré un lugar muy pequeño, pero también muy bello y acogedor. Todo limpio, por supuesto no es el clásico hotel acostumbrado por la mayor parte de la gente, Para mí fue un sueño hecho realidad. El servicio es muy bueno, los empleados siempre al pendientes con una sonrisa natural y muy hospitalaria. Price is perfect. It is a three levels place, with a nice view at restaurant area. For reservation they ask you for your credit card information, I dont like this, but seems to be safety.

El precio es perfecto. Es una casa antigua de tres niveles, con una bonita vista en el área del restaurante. Para reservar te piden información de tu tarjeta de crédito (no entiendo por qué pues no reciben tarjetas), no me gusta dar información de mi tarjeta, pero parece que no hay riesgos.

Raid SherazadeRaid Sherazade

by lesley.cbirch

I am trying to book this hotel without success. Does anyone know if they are still in business (I have phoned 3 times and emailed - but no response).

Failing that does anyone know another good, quiet, old, grotty as long as not damp, hotel in the centre which is not too expensive.

Many thanks

by travolta159

there too many old quiet cheap hotels, i can phone some hotels for you but i don't know which city you are going to in Morocco? :) tell me what city and i can help you on this?

by cabeyp

Yes, this hotel does still exist but I would not exactly class it as the category you describe for the alternative!?!?

What are you actually looking for? A luxury riad or a basic one?

Maybe it is down to your misspelling? Sheherazade.

by lesley.cbirch

It IS spelt as above and I think is in the mid range of riads (classed as a 4 in R.G) I'm not sure why they havenot replied but if you know of another nice fairly reasonable, old one I'd appreciate comments. Unless you have a different email address for them.

Thanks for the reply

by angiebabe

hi, yes i wouldnt put Hotel Sherazade into the category of grotty either! be careful and be sure you would really be happy with a grotty one because if you do theres enough of them there! and they hopefully wont be in our accommodation recommmendations (I like going el cheapo too - but definitely not grotty)

if you do want one that is very cheap but quite okay - check the room first and the loos and showers - though they do have a couple of rooms with ensuites for cheap too - then give Hotel Gazelle a call - Im pretty sure their phone number is in the tip I have in my page on Marrakech. My Moroccan connections from out of town stay there when they need a place to stay when in Marrakech (except for when staying at friends places) so thats a good sign. Ive stayed there too a few times.

also check out my tip on trying to phone numbers that have since had the first digit for Marrakech changed.

If you turn up and dont have a place then Hotel Foucauld over the road is in between low budget and budget and a pretty good place to stay - its huge with lots of rooms so its a good back up plan without moving into more expensive territory.

by cabeyp

Appologies, was thinking Fes not Marrakech.
Ok - so for Marrakech would recommend 2 places in particular.
See my tips.

by louis1806

Thanks a lot. Will try to find tel no. That seems good recommendation to me.

Comments