Hotel Tafoukt

Storks in the KasbahStorks in the Kasbah

Bag Store At Souk EntranceBag Store At Souk Entrance

Tin Mal Mosque: sun rays and shadowTin Mal Mosque: sun rays and shadow

The MapThe Map

From Marrakech to Essaouira and Setti-Fatma (ourika valley)

by tobu

Hi all,

I'm flying to Marrakech for 4 days (21-24/01/2010).
I would like to take 2 one day trips, one will be to Essaouira, and i would like to go to the mountains for one day. On google earth, ourika valley looks very nice. Could somebody let me know what is the best way how to get there? I think that it should not be problem to get to Essaouira by bus or train (whichone is the best way?). I have no idea how to get to Ourika Valley, is there any bus connection to this area (Setti-Fatma)? Or i need to take some tourist guided tour?
Thank you for your replies.
Tomas.

by suvanki

Hi! Probably, the best way to get to Essaouira is by bus. I'm afraid that I travelled there as part of a guided tour, but was intending returning there independently later on. I was recommended Supratour bus company, which departs from their office near the train station. CTM also run a service between Marrakech and Essaouira.

Looking back at my transport tip for Essaouira (in 2006), I wrote

"9 buses depart Marrakesh daily for Essaouira between 0400 and 1700hrs for the 3 hour plus journey".

Please check out mine and other VTers Marrakech and Essaouira pages for more info.

I'm afraid that I can't advise you how to get to the Ourika Valley independently. There appear to be plenty of organised day trips from Marrakech though. Have you considered Car Hire? Another option might be to hire a guide for the day, with transport.
I hired a guide in Ouarzazate and had a great day exploring the Draa Valley area. He organised an agenda for the day, but it was quite flexible, and this turned out to be one of my best days out in Morocco.

In January, there is the chance that heavy snowfall might close the mountain roads - (This has been less of a problem in recent years though).

Have A Great trip - I look forward to reading about it!

by flamencogirl

Hi!
I went to Ourika valley . . . it's beautiful! There is no public transportation there. I went with a tour guide - he was nice and spoke fluent english. Let me know if you need a recommendation. I still have his contact info and he was real good.

Take care,
Joy

by kroy1811

Hi will you give me the contact for guide to essouira-ourika valley ? thanks

Travel Tips for Marrakesh

Bohemian Marrakech

by stappm

Shopping - they have some great and interesting shopping in Marrakech. Bargin bargin bargin. I bought some lovely carpets and they folded them into little packages that I could check as baggage - I was shocked at how small they got a 10ft x 12ft carpet! walking the Medina at night. It is full of people!

finding the pulse of the souk

by jo-allyn about Drum shops of Marrakech

I play middle eastern music, percussion. As a result, I was on a quest for bendirs(framedrums) in the souk. I was delighted to find quite a few "shops" stuffed full with drums!! I bought one excellent sounding bendir for $13.00 which was an excellent price. To make up for that wise purchase, I paid way too much for a square framedrum (in keeping with a quickly established tradition of not being able to bargain well!!)

I was so enthusiastic about all the drum shops I visited that day. I did an excellent job of getting address info from them all. The bad news i do not now know which picture goes with which address!!

As a result, I am going to list the addresses and phone numbers in one list knowing that whichever one you end up, in you won't be disappointed (as long as you BARGAIN)

31 souk El Kimakhine Marrakech 070-41-03-54
35 Souk Jeld El Kimakhine 062-40-52-46
39 Souk Jeld El Kemakhine 01-55-25-14
36-44 Souk El Kebir Semmarine 44 07.47

Yacout, behind high walls in...

by MVMT

Yacout, behind high walls in Marrakesh's ancient medina, is set in a ravishing small 17th- and 18th-century palace, its various rooms in early January glowing with crackling fires in the fireplaces, lighted by ornate filigree and colored-glass fixtures, its walls miracles of colorful tilework. Waiters in long white caftans moved silently about, and from the roof terrace one could look out over the old quarter, or back to the inner courtyard and its pool.

Bahia Palace

by grets

From my journal:

'Gary (the guide) tells us not to bring any handbags at this stage, which is a great shame, because I don’t have a flash gun for my camera and the ceilings and other decorations are really beautiful. The building mainly used to house the harem, and it is a little difficult to translate the expression ‘hanky panky room’ to my parents.'

symphony of colours

by vtveen

Majorelle garden is the one and only tourist sight in the Ville Nouvelle and completely different from the others in Marrakech. We visited the garden early December and there were not too many visitors. I did read several reviews saying the garden can be overcrowded; no wonder because the walks are rather narrow and the garden itself is not that huge at all.

Majorelle Garden is situated around the former studio of the founder - French painter Jacques Majorelle - and is a mixture of bamboo, palm trees, agave and cactuses. It is said there should be hundreds of species of palms and more than 1500 hundred cactuses. These abundant green plants are alternated with colourful bougainvilleas and other tropical flowers. Most charming are the fountains and ponds with water lilies.
Pots do have bright green, yellow and blue colours, paths are often made of red tiles and the ponds do have green and blue tiles.
This symphony of colours is a really feast for the eye. Find a (shaded) bench and just enjoy the plants and colours, far away from the hustle and bustle of the city life of Marrakech.

There is a (small) Museum of Islamic Arts in the former blue coloured studio of Majorelle, which shows ceramics, carpets, furniture, jewellery, beautifully carved doors and (of course) some of Majorelle’s paintings.

The garden has a nice café with a secluded terrace for a rather expensive drink or lunch. Behind the museum is a shop with some very interesting and original gifts; among them paint drums with the original ‘Majorelle Blue’.

Opening hours: