279 Ave Mohammed V, Across from Koutoubia Mosque, Marrakech, 40000, Morocco

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 50% less but rated 14% lower than other 3 star hotels

• andysum's Profile Photo

Islane Hotel

This hotel which is walking distance to many of the sights, about 5 mins walk to the Djemaa El Fna square for evening meals, and directly opposite the main mosque - the Koutoubia. The rooms are clean and tidy, with a basic bathroom. I stayed here in late November, and the rooms do get chilly at night with no heating. Be also aware that early morning prayers on loudspeakers on the Koutoubia will act as an early-morning wakeup call (great for early morning photographers like me - bad for you party animals).

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

Hotel Islane - handy and good value

Always had this hotel on my list of choices but just never got to it! of course went past it many times but never had it come up into any of our visits - its restaurant is also recommended - and this time taking a friend we needed somewhere very handy, clean and low budget - which it met all these demands and my friend was very happy with the decor with moroccan look and character - for her first visit to morocco.

we had a room with a view - directly over to Koutoubia and the main road up to the main square.

and the deciding factors ahead of Hotel Ali and Hotel Foucould was the higher chance itd be clean and have a good breakfast with a view with reputation - so we did get very good value for all of this for 420 dirham or £25 for the two of us.

Unique Quality: Nice view, especially from the restaurant up on the higher floor which is a good reputation for dining with the view in the evenings for outside guests, but for us guests staying and with brakfast included its a nice inclusion. The background was hazy so we couldnt see the snow topped mountains in the background but generally you can on a good day.

The staff were always pleasant and helpful, such as when needing water when arriving back at midnight from Chez Ali taking us around to their shop though closed to get it for us, booking the tickets for us for Chez Ali, being accommodating for us when we didnt get back by the time our rental car agent had arrived and happy to phone them for us etc when we were ready!
    And the decor done with some nice moroccan decor finishing touches.

Directions: main road into the centre of Marrakech, ie almost at the main square, the Djma elfna, and opposite the koutoubia mosque which you cant miss!!

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Good value, centrally located 3* hotel

I stayed at the 3* Hotel Islane for 7 nights in February 2007. I booked the hotel via www.octopustravel.com and paid 21 GBP per night for a single room with en-suite facilities and breakfast included.

Location

Hotel Islane is located on Ave Mohamed V, right across the road from the famous Koutoubia Mosque. The world renowned Djemaa El Fna square is just a 5 minute walk away, while the modern Gueliz region of the city is a 15-20 minute walk away.

A taxi from the airport to the hotel cost me 130 Dirhams (approx. 8 GBP).

Bedroom

My first impressions of my room weren't good. It hadn't been cleaned since the previous occupants checked out, so I entered a room with an unmade bed, a flooded bathroom floor and litter on the floor. I left my bag in the room, went out for the afternoon and returned to find a much tidier room. The cleaning staff cleaned the room every day of my stay.

The room was fairly basic, containing a double bed, a wardrobe, a telephone, small bedside shelves, air conditioning (but no remote control to turn it on!) and a TV which didn't work. It had just one small window, from which I could see the top of the Koutoubia minaret opposite, so there was little natural light in the room.

The en-suite shower room was small, but relatively clean. Fresh towels were provided daily and a few complimentary toiletries were also provided.

Hotel

The hotel is something of a maze! Getting to my second floor room involved climbing two flights of stairs, then entering the restaurant, walking along the restaurant's dining terrace, re-entering the hotel and finding my way along various corridors!

The reception is staffed by friendly, helpful staff and offers foreign exchange and trip booking services. There is also a small seating area and a luggage storage closet.

The hotel complex also includes a few restaurants (serving local, international and Italian cuisine) and an ice cream parlour.

Unique Quality: .

Breakfast

The buffet breakfast is served on the hotel's terrace with excellent views across to the Koutoubia minaret and further afield to the Atlas Mountains on the horizon.

The choice was the same each day and did become a bit bland by the end of the week. You can choose from a range of excellent croissants, chocolate chip filled croissants, flat bread, bread rolls, doughnuts, coconut topped cake and jam. The waiter brings a large glass of yoghurt to your table, along with a hard boiled egg, a glass of fresh orange juice and a choice of tea or coffee. There are no meats or cheeses on offer.

General

Being located so close to the Koutoubia minaret means that you can hear the early morning call to prayer loud and clear from your bedroom! I was awoken at 5:30am on the first three mornings of my stay, but after that I managed to sleep right through it.

Hotel Islane offers an excellent location, basic but clean rooms, a good breakfast and super value for money. Highly recommended!!

Directions: Located right opposite the Koutoubia Mosque. Less than 5 minutes walk to Djemaa El Fna and 15-20 mintues walk to the modern Gueliz region of the city.

• earthflyer's Profile Photo

Good Restaurant Views

Booked 2 nights at this Hotel through Octopustravel.com.

Due to heavy thick fog in the UK my flight was delayed and my arrival was in the very early hours of the morning, When I saw the room it was not what I saw on the photo in Octopustravel.com travel site. It was a small pokey dark place with a very low ceiling and my room had no door number, It was like my room did not belong here in the hotel as all other rooms were accounted for from what I could see, It had a tv but did not work and the bathroom was a bit of a squeeze.

I was too tired to do anything about it and after the first morning sleep and one more night to go, I didn't bother to complain about it in the end. I am a backpacker at the end of the day and as long as the bathroom works and there is a roof over my head and is quiet I don't mind I have stayed in far worse places.

The big plus for this hotel is the rooftop restaurant over looking the Koutoubia Mosque and the food was good too but I missed breakfast twice.

Unique Quality: Superb views from the rooftop restaurant.

Directions: In front of Koutoubia Mosque

• dgines's Profile Photo

The Best Location In Marrakech

Hotel Islane is a great place to stay close to all the action. You'll have a spectacular view of Koutoubia just accross the street and reside a stones throw from the square.

Unique Quality: Restaurant - International Cuisine and a brick pizza oven
    Breakfast Buffet
    Cheap parking close by

Directions: Just accross the street from the Koutoubia Mosque

More about Islane Hotel

koutoubia from hotel islanekoutoubia from hotel islane

View from Hotel IslaneView from Hotel Islane

over the road from Hotel Islane, Ave Mohammed Vover the road from Hotel Islane, Ave Mohammed V

Restaurante Islane and Hotel, MarrakechRestaurante Islane and Hotel, Marrakech

Help! Riad for Single traveller on a budget: Any recommendations???

by ishskins

Hello Fellow travellers!

I'm a female, single traveller to Marrakesh for the first time, and on a budget. Almost every riad that I checked on the website would offer a double room at a price more than 40 euro. Has anyone travelling alone managed to find a nice & safe room in a riad in the Medina area for 25 - 35 euro a night? Or even a an all female dorm that doesn't put holes in my pocket? FIY, I plan to stay in Marrakesh for 5 nights.
Would welcome any suggestions:-)
Cheers!

Re: Help! Riad for Single traveller on a budget: Any recommendations???

by oceania26

I'll be travelling there as well...most places on the internet are usually high end (low buddget ones probably don't have the resources to publish on the web)so they will be more pricey. Try guidebooks, they list cheaper accommodations or you could wait until you get there but you can find places for 200 dirhams/night.

Re: Help! Riad for Single traveller on a budget: Any recommendations???

by angiebabe

Hi, if you are able to consider a range such as that you have quite a few options - the cheapest riad i know and excellent budget price at that is the jnanemogador.com for your price range for a single.the last price i was aware of for single was 27 euro. otherwise riads are pretty expensive/much more expensive than that.

for hotels with interesting traditional decor, say lots of tiling, the hotel gazelle for 7 euro a person is pretty good - you could have a double room with just yourself in it for 14 euro.

the hotel sherazade is also recommended for its good quality budget accommodation with loads of character and nice management.
even hotel islane is pretty good for 2 and a half to 3 star accommodation for lower price in that range.

hotel ali has some nice rooms and some that are the pits - but generally okay and you can get a room for 15 euro. or hotel foucould i stayed there for 16 euro in a nice double room with ensuite.
these places are all close to the medina.

out a bit is one of my favourite budget places hotel toulousain. for about 15 euro for a big room with ensuite, cheaper if without ensuite, and has breakfast.

some of these places ive written tips for in my marrakech pages. for the prices available i wouldnt put myself in a female dorm for 5 nights for anything - id leave that to when you more need to in the expensive parts around europe!
all the best.