116 Riad Zitoune Kedim, Derb Sidi Bouloukat, Marrakech, 40000, Morocco

Booking.com Priceline.com

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Good value riad close to Djemaa el Fna

My girlfriend and I stayed at Riad Jnane Mogador for 4 nights during a visit to Marrakech to celebrate New Year 2009/10.

We booked our stay directly with the riad, via email, and paid 48 Euros per night for an en-suite room with no breakfast included.

The booking process was somewhat long winded. My initial email enquiry received a reply along the lines of: "we receive many enquiries about staying here, so please email again in a week's time if you are still interested in staying and we will advise if there is any availability." I emailed back 5 days later to confirm that we were interested and to obtain a price for our stay. We exchanged several emails, during which I provided debit card details for a deposit to be paid, passport numbers and contact details and, after a few final chasing emails, I finally received confirmation that the room was booked some 3 weeks after my initial enquiry.

Location

I had visited Marrakech before, staying at Hotel Islane, so I knew my way around the city fairly well and had a general idea of where I wanted to stay (and also that I wanted to stay in a traditional riad rather than a hotel).

I also knew that I didn't know my way around the medina all that well, especially after dark, and that any of the riads located deep in the medina would involve plenty of wrong turns and dead ends before we finally located it! I also thought that getting deep into the medina with luggage in tow would be difficult (although there are plenty of willing locals that will deliver your luggage to your accommodation in a hand-pulled cart for a small fee). In fact, there was one such wooden cart outside the Jnane Mogador and I understand that you can book a luggage transfer service through the riad.

However, we didn't require such a service as the Jnane Mogador is located close enough to the main Djemaa el Fna square that we could wheel our suitcases there without too much difficulty. We caught a bus from the airport for a few Dirhams and alighted close to the Koutoubia minaret, just a hundred metres or so from Djemaa el Fna.

Jnane Mogador is less than a 5 minute walk from Djemaa el Fna – once you learn which exit to take from the square! Leave the square via Rue Riad Zitoun el Kdim, passing through a small archway in the corner of the square. After a couple of minutes walking, you'll find Jnane Mogador on your right hand side on the small side street of Derb Sidi Bouloukat.

Immediately outside the riad you'll find yourself on the bustling streets of the medina with hundreds of small shops selling a huge variety of goods.

The fact that breakfast wasn't included in our room rate was no concern; we simply made the short walk to Djemaa el-Fna where we enjoyed freshly squeezed orange juice from the juice carts and glasses of mint tea and sweet pastries in the cafes surrounding the square.

Bedroom

Our room was everything that I hoped for from a traditional riad. The walls were washed in pink and featured colourful artwork and ornate lamps and mirrors.

Arched stained glass windows could be opened to allow brief glimpses of medina life through the patterned iron bars.

The bed was a proper double bed (not two singles pushed together) and featured a wrought iron headboard that matched the other wrought iron furnishings (a TV stand, a chair, shelving, lamps and mirrors).

Wi-fi was available, very sporadically, for free in the room. Logging on wasn't a priority on this trip, but I found that I could occasionally pick up a weak signal...but only in the corner of the room nearest to the window!

The bathroom was basic, but again had all the qualities that I wanted from a riad room. The bare walls were painted blue, there was an open shower cubicle, a washbasin and a toilet. Basic, but full of character and charm.

General

Riad Jnane Mogador is a wonderfully authentic riad. The bedrooms open out onto an internal balcony that overlooks a central courtyard, with ornate tiling, greenery and a water fountain.

The riad also has a picturesque rooftop terrace (more ornate tiling, wrought iron furniture, colourful flowers and cracking panoramic views of the medina) where you can enjoy breakfast, snacks and glasses of mint tea.

On New Year's Eve, we decided that enjoying a hammam in the riad's basement would be a fitting way to wash away the dirt of 2009 and start 2010 feeling fresh and invigorated. We paid a small sum (perhaps £10 per person) and booked a time slot for later in the evening. A Moroccan lady threw buckets of hot water over us and scrubbed us clean in the steamy, aromatic, ornately tiled bathing area.

A wonderful riad in Marrakech's medina, full of character and just a few minutes walk from Djemaa el Fna. It was difficult to confirm a booking...but well worth the effort in the end! Highly recommended!

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

a bargain price to stay in a riad

Staying in a riad, a traditional house that centres around a courtyard, is usually a rather expensive business in Marrakech - there are many lovely old riads that have been renovated to stunningly beautiful and opulent decor, with prices to match of which aim for around 800-1000 dirham a night for 2.

Here is Jnane Mogador which gives moderately budget travellers a chance to savour the tradition and stay in a lovingly decorated establishment, only a few minutes away from all the happenings of the main square of the medina, the Djma Elfnaa, for between 380 dirham (38 euro) for 2 for low season and 480 dirham(48 euro) for 2 in high season.

Breakfast is available for 40 dirham(4 euro) per person

Unique Quality: Single, double, triple, quadruple, and suite accommodation is available.

Hammam with massage is also available at a fee.

Directions: Walking through Place Jma El Fna, Cafe de France and cafe Toubkal on your left, look for small side street Sidi Bouloukat to the right off Riad Ziton Kedim, which is main walking street up to the Bahia Palace

• NiallFerguson's Profile Photo

Marrakech - Very popular: Book well ahead

Riad style accomodation at the right price in the right location.

This is rated in most guide books as one of the best budget places to stay, and if you can get booked in here you will see why.

Make sure you book several months in advance, and ideally give them your flight details to confirm you are serious about staying here.

There are a lot of places to stay in Marrakech, but few that offer such excellent value!

Beautiful interior and roof terrace, well kept and friendly.

The location has pleasant surroundings, and yet you are in the medina.

Unique Quality: Location Location Location

Directions: In the Medina

• SirAliztare's Profile Photo

A Charming Riad

A convenient, clean and ultimately charming riad located just off Riad Zitoun Kedim on the Djema El Fnaa of Marrakech. The double rooms are spacious and tasteful, with functional en-suites and sturdy iron beds. From the roof terrace one has a fantastic view of the Marrakech skyline and the snow-covered Atlas mountains beyond, as well as the bustle of a thousand arabs making a living in the main square.

The staff are helpful and all that Marrakech has to offer is but a stone's throw away.

In March 06 a double room was about £20 per night, not including breakfast.

Unique Quality: There's also hammam baths, although I didn't get around to participating.

Directions: Two minutes walk from the southwest of the main square

Comments