Route de Fes, km 6, Dar Tounsi, Marrakech, Morocco

Costs 36% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Marrakesh

Cord winderCord winder

Section Hall Of Twelve ColumbsSection Hall Of Twelve Columbs

El-Mansour Mosque in the midsdle of the KasbahEl-Mansour Mosque in the midsdle of the Kasbah

View ower the medina, from the terasse of my Riad.View ower the medina, from the terasse of my Riad.

Help! best way to and from Marrakesh (from casablanca) for single female ?

Hi there
I plan to go there as a single female traveller in mid December. am tryong to figure out how best to get to marrakech from Casablanca and back (as my flight lands in Casa and I also have to fly out of cAsa on return leg). Have read that train is best but i have a big suitcase and hand luggage to deal with and that can be a pain for a single female traveller to handle.

How friendly are the train station at Casa and Marrakesh? Are they on level ground or do they have steps? Thought abt taking the plane too but read that the air flights are often subject to delays.

Also, i read that train tickets have to be bought only in Morroco! Is there anyway to get my tix in advance online? Seems bit if a risk to arrive in Casa and then buy my train ticket for next day departure. As this holiday is my one break this year, I wld hate to get stuck in Casa and be unable to arrive in Maarakesh as planned.

Am open to all options maybe booking a taxi if it's not too expensvie? (Does anyone know how much it costs and if I can just book a taxi upon arrival?) am wondering what's the best way as i don't drive? will really appreciate VTers advice on this bit on transportation between casa and marrakech. What's the best and most convenient way to travel to Marrakexh with minimum fuss?:) Thanks all!

by windcity

Trains from the airport to Cassa Voyagers station take 45 minutes, I think they run hourly, From Cassa Voyagers to Marrakech takes 3 hrs 15 Min's, and leaves every 2 hours. You do not need to book in advance. If you need to use the stairs at Cassa voyagers station there will be porters to help you with your luggage.

Hi

thanks for your fast reply! there are porters to help with luggage at both train stations?? Wow! So it sounds like it's really convenient to take the train and that I can definitely get a ticket even for next day departure?

I plan to stay a night in Casablanca since I am arriving in that city. Do you know how I can get the timetable fo the train departures? And also, can I buy the train ticket while I am at the arrival airport.

by abdulmis

Hello; you can see all the timetable and cost for trains in Morocco here: http://www.oncf.ma/Index_en.aspx

If you need additional help send me email, I also plan to visit Casablanca and Marrakech in Dec.

by call_me_rhia

right next to casablanca's train station there's a ibis hotel, in case you don't want to take your luggage around the city. You can et a ticket as soon as you arrive, check in at the ibis, explore the city and leave the following day.

hi thanks for the tip!
The main train station that departs from Casablanca to Marrakesh - is it Casa Voyagers? As for Marrakesh - is there a name for the train station there?

last question - since I can only buy the ticketwhen I am there, is it pretty much certain that I will get a seat for next day departure in mid December period? just dun wanna mess up my hotel bookings for Marrakesh. feeling a little anxious abt a last min tix purchase for a long-haul holiday. guess am needing some assurance:)

by Jenll88

thanks Abdul. i have visited the website which is quite skimpy on info. my main concern I guess is about getting a ticket at the last minute. and about lugging a suitcase around a train.

Hi Again,
You can book your ticket for your entire journey, even the return trip from the booking booth at airport when you arrive. If your suitcase is on wheels you will find getting about a piece of cake. As suggested the Ibis hotel is conveniently situated by Cassa Voyages station, however it can be noisy during the night due to trains shunting in and out. There is only one train station in Marrakech it is known as la nouvelle gare de marrakech. keep small change for tipping porters.
Enjoy...

20h50mn 00h00mn

Travel Tips for Marrakesh

The market place

by Cool-123

There is a market near the town square. In spite of shopping, it is worth sight seeing too. The market mainly sell the carpets, slippers, lamps, T-shirsts, decorations, etc. Pls remember you can ask for a discount.

Lanterns & light fixtures

by sunlovey about Lanterns & such in the souks

Definitely scope out the entire souks region carefully before purchasing, I saw several I liked before I found 'the one' I absolutely loved. This also gives you a chance to gauge pricing. One of the most strikingly beautiful wares you'll discover in mass quanities throughout the souks of Marrakesh are 1) metal 2) glass and metal and 3) leather lanterns, light fixtures and sconces. WOW. Most are handcrafted, although I can't help but suspect that some are not.

You'll find the metal variety in rustic finishes, brass, silvertone, etc. Some are rather simple/crude, while others are utterly intricate.

The stretched leather lamps are often painted with a henna art-inspired design and are often triangular/pyramid in shape with metal accenting.

Some are teeny tiny and some are gigantic. Of course the price varies immensely.

Note: These lanterns, sconces and fixtures are generally not fitted with bulbs/electrical wiring and whatnot. That you figure out once you're home with your treasure. For a small, simplistic lantern think anywhere between 40-150 dirhams depending upon your bargaining skills.
For a larger, intricate design you can pay as much as 2000 dirhams (also depending upon how well your bargain) and some are, in my humble opinion, well worth the price.

In the rabbit warren...

by lucyt about Ksar Es Saoussan

As the restaurant is secreted away in the back alleys of the Medina we had a guide: a silent and imposing Moor in a red jellabeya and a fez. He preceeded us through the souk with a regal air and, when we arrived that the restaurant, took into his hand the vast door knocker and brought it thrice resoundlingly home: BOOM BOOM BOOM... the gravitas of the moment somewhat ruined by the door being open and his having to lean over other people to reach the knocker. Poor chap: his heart was really in it.

Although we'd pre-booked there was a minor screw-up leaving us without a table. Diners are seated on the ground floor but we were shown to the first floor balcony, next to the piano lounge, where a table was set up for us.
They then gave us too much food. And REALLY strong gin and tonics. And then a lot of wine. So, I'm a bit hazy about what I ate. But I do remember it was good.

I wasn't officer I C paying that evening and am thus unsure how much it cost: I think we paid about 1000 dhs for the two of us. There was so much food that I've frankly forgotten what most of it was. I did have, however, the pigeon pastilla (pigeon with almond and cinnamon wrapped in filo pastry) which was very good, if too big for me.
And some excellent petit-fours.

Jardin Majorelle

by iaint

This is an extraordinary place.

It was created in in the late 1940s by French painter Jacques Majorelle. Then it was owned by Yves Saint Laurent until his death in 2008, and is now held by a foundation he set up.

It has a memorial to YSL in a quiet corner.

Apparently it was a constant inspiration to him, and I can see why. It is utterly beautiful.

Well worth 30 MAD - €2.80!

Single Storeyed

by keeweechic

The Grand Vizier was a large man and not fit enough to climb stairs and so he had the entire Palace build solely on one level. Marble was brought in from Meknes, the cedarwood came from the Middle Atlas and the beautiful tiles came from Tetounan.

Comments