3, Rue Loubnane, Guéliz, Marrakech, Morocco

Booking.com Travelocity Orbitz.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 52% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Welcome to the Arabian Nights! (Their logo!)

I booked online through Booking.com. This hotel looked full of character, and very reasonably priced too. I paid £67 for 3 nights in a single room with buffet breakfast included!! Bargain! (2006)

Advertised as 'Le confort de l'Hotel de luxe au prix de l'Hotel economique'

I wasn't disappointed!

I checked in after having spent the past 11 days in Morocco, travelling around part of it as a group tour, during which time I'd slept in 7 different accommodations including a tented bivouac in the desert and a mattress on the floor of a gite. I was ready for a bit of comfort.

Arriving by taxi, I entered into an inner 'courtyard' with fountain, and brightly painted walls and furniture. A huge lamp hung down from the ceiling 6 stories up. I was handed a huge iron key (this was the key ring) and shown to room 59a. (There are lifts) Apparently mine was a 3* room, there are 4 and 5* too (check the web page for pics)

A canopied 4 poster bed, painted furniture including a writing desk, stained glass windows, fresh flowers, air con and TV.

Bathroom with bath and over bath shower, WC, bidet

Freebies - shower gel, shampoo, tissues, toothbrush, toothpaste, razor and scalp massager!

Buffet breakfast - orange juice, tea, coffee, hot chocolate, pastries, pancakes, olives, cucumber, salami, cereals, dates, bread and preserves etc.

Tea salon

Unique Quality: Small pool was pleasant, although in September, the sun had disappeared by about 15.30 . The roof terrace had a few sun loungers. They were in process of renovating, what I think was a rooftop restaurant. Afraid that the views weren't too exciting from the terrace

I visited the hammam in the basement for a soap and scrub (1 hour -180 dh) and felt VERY clean and glowing afterwards! There are also massages and facial treatments performed by a qualified therapist.

I also used the laundry service, which I was a bit disappointed with, as the clothes I'd requested to be ironed, were still quite creased, but they didn't charge me for those items, when I pointed the creases out to them .

This place suited me - I don't like hotels that are too formal or 'faceless' this had some character.

2 mins from Place Abd El Ben Ali in Gueliz, with it's pavement cafes, restaurants and bars.

Taxi to Djemma el Fnaa 10dh.

The Marrakech 'Hop on- Hop off' tour bus stops near here too (which I used for the tour, then for getting around)

I'd recommend this place for anyone wanting cheap, comfortable accommodation, with good services and a bit of character I thought it was very good value!

Directions: From Djemma EF, head up Ave Mohammed V.

At Place Abd El Ben Ali, turn right (past Cafe Negociantes) into Zerktouni, 2nd R is Rue Loubnane. Hotel is on your Left.

• Highly recommended

What a wonderful Hotel.The room I had was lovely and comfortable if a bit small.The Hotel was a newish Hotel but decorated traditionally with wonderful bright colours,traditional patterns and paintings.The staff were wonderful and very helpful.Be sure to have a massage in the Hammam.
    The food is excellent.There is no menu for the evening meal,just whatever is cooked,no choice but it is 4-5 courses and each one is delicious and plentiful.The breakfast is Buffet style with endless choices- you would have to be really picky not to have a good meal here.
    The place was spotless,there is a small pool with not much room for sun loungers but welcome all the same.Keep off the hammock on the roof-it's mine!!

Unique Quality: Lovely atmosphere,friendly helpful staff.small pool,Hammam,roof terrace.

More about Moroccan House Hotel

Stay in a lovely Riad

by steevie_wanders

Stay for at least one night in the traditional moroccan house, called a 'Riad'. They are very numerous, especially in the cities, and are pleasant calm places to sleep, eat, and relax. The house is usually centred around a central courtyard, which may contain a pond or pool or fountain. This is intended to be an oasis of cool during the fiery Moroccan summer, when temperatures can reach 40 degrees C. +!

Often the Riad owner or a representative lives on the premises, and they will provide breakfast and dinner if you require it. Many Riads have a roof terrace where you can take in the views, sunbathe or have breakfast. Some Riads have swimming pools and jacuzzi's in the courtyard or on the roof. Riads usually have lavishly decorated interiors, featuring intricate mosaic and tile work, beautiful lamps, and Berber textiles.

Riad prices vary greatly depending on the premises, but even the cheapest are pleasant places. The most expensive are literally palaces! breakfast is usually included in the price.

A wonderful small Marrakechi Riad

by ateach52 about Riad Laora

There are hundreds of Riads in Marrakech - and staying in one is a great alternative to the larger tourist hotels scattered in and around the city. A riad is a typical Moroccan house where the roof is generally open and the rooms are built along balconies which surround a sort of courtyard. Many of these Riads are foreign owned, and they have been restored to their original splendour with beautiful traditional furnishings. They range in price from the very expensive to the very affordable. Riad Laora is located right inside the Medina, a ten-minute walk from the Djemaa el-Fna. There are 7 rooms, ranging from fairly small to larger suites, all of them decorated with great taste by the French owner, Regine. Breakfast is served on a small rooftop terrace. From the outside, you'd never know how calm and peaceful it is inside - there's just a small door with a doorbell. Although there's a safe in each room, there are no locks on the doors! No need! There's a watchman who'll open the door to your ring throughout the night. Regine's small staff of 5 are all super friendly!

There's airconditioning in summer and heating in winter - Marrakech can get quite chilly at night in January! There's a large fireplace in a lovely sitting room and a tiny (no bigger than a few bathtubs, actually) pool one can sit in to cool off from the summer heat. Dinner can also be had there if advance notice is given.

Not the most welcoming hotel

by suvanki about Hotel IBN Batouta

I spent 2 separate nights here as part of a guided tour of Marrakech and the Sahara with Exodus travel. Once after spending the night in a gite in Telouet, before heading to Essaouira for a night, then returning here for our last night of the tour.

I then moved to the Moroccan House in Gueliz (please see my tip) for the last few days of my holiday, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Well this place had probably seen better days, any atmosphere had been sucked out. The reception staff just seemed bored, not exactly welcoming.

My first room was on the 5th floor, and was OK, but had the most antiquated and noisy air con I'd ever come across!

My second night I fared a bit better, with a quieter time, and a slightly more pleasant room.

Breakfast was as uninspiring as the rest of this hotel experience - a few dried rolls, pastry, insipid coffee, they even managed to make the orange juice nearly flavourless! (Why, when everywhere else during my stay in Marrakech I enjoyed delicious fresh orange juice for a few Dh!)

Blimey, I'm getting depressed typing this and remembering it.!

Well I didn't really have to spend too much time here, just enough time for sleeping, showering and getting ready to go out.
So, if you're looking for a place just to rest your head, and this comes up at a bargain price, you might be ok Quite near to the main attractions, and in a quiet area - has air con etc-but see above!

Fantastic value, lovely hotel

by TripAdvisor Member elektra24680

We've just got back from Morocco after a week in Marrakesh, staying at the Moroccan House Hotel. When we booked our room through Lastminute.com, the rates at this hotel were so cheap we thought it couldn't possibly be more than very basic, but all we were looking for was a cheap few days in Morocco, so we booked it and prepared ourselves for 'basic'. When we got there we were amazed, what a lovely place. It was beautiful, decorated in the style of a typical Moroccan house, the staff were friendly, the rooms lovely and the typically Moroccan breakfasts out on the roof terrace every morning, wonderful. I would recommend this hotel with no hesitation at all, it's comfortable, central, clean, friendly ..we would very happily stay at the Moroccan House Hotel again.

Excellent for the money

by TripAdvisor Member amz1

Just returned from 3 nights at the Moroccan House. The hotel gives you a true Moroccan experience. For the money we could not fault the hotel. The rooms are clean and the staff are really friendly. The pool is sufficient but is shaded for most of the afternoon so sunbathing needs to be done in the morning!
I would definetly return.

Very pleasant

by TripAdvisor Member scn

This is quite an unusual hotel in that they've tried to give a flavour of a Moroccan house within a hotel. It's done quite nicely. My room was nice, comfortable and clean, with a few nice touches.
The hotel is about 15-20 minutes walk from the city walls (and another 10 minutes to the Jemaa el fna). The staff were really nice and very helpful. Breakfast, served up on the terrace was adequate - breads and cake, jam and honey, tea and coffee. All in all, it's good value and a nice novelty to the run-of-the-mill hotel.

Enjoyable Stay

by TripAdvisor Member Richard86

I stayed at the Moroccan House Hotel in June for 2 nights with 3 friends. We all really enjoyed our stay and particularly the Moroccan style and decor.

The location was very suitable, as there was easy access to the restaurants in the new town. The local area was also relatively quiet and we didn't have any problems with the building work behind, as mentioned in other reviews. We also felt safe and comfortable walking around the area at night, and there wasn't the hussle and bussle of the old town.

The old town is easy to get to in a taxi.

The swimming pool area is small and the sun is only on it for a short part of the day, but that wasn't a problem.

The staff were very helpful, and most of them speak english.

If we went back to Marrakesh, we'd definitely stay here again.

Perfect....

by TripAdvisor Member dfcReigate

Just back from a week at the Moroccan House and can't praise it highly enough. Although a relatively modern hotel, the decor convinces you you are in an old riad. The reception area is stunning, and the chairs more comfortable than they look! We had a large room on the first floor, which contained both double and single four poster beds. The maid kept the room spotless, and everything was tidied and folded when we came back each day. All the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful, Rachid in particular went out of his way to get to know everyone and always had a joke and a smile. On several days we had early starts and he would make sure that breakfast (7 - 10 am) was available 30 - 45 mins early for us. We really enjoyed the Moroccan breakfast, and the set menu dinner was great value the two nights we ate in. Don't miss out on the Hammam and massage - best early in your stay.
Although the building work behind was still going on, it was never intrusive - we were not troubled by this or other noise at all.
We couldn't fault the Moroccan House and would certainly stay again if in Marrakesh.

moroccan hotel morocco hotel merzouga dunesmoroccan hotel morocco hotel merzouga dunes

Hotel Gallia

by Spike2109

Has anyone used this hotel? Whats it like etc.....

Re: Hotel Gallia

by angiebabe

The Lonely Planet recommends it as a good midrange/more upmarket hotel - Ive never been to it as have other fave places that are lower budget.

VTer Suvanki has a recommendation for 'The Moroccan House' and Ive in the past looked at it for setting up accommodation for friends to stay at - a pretty good deal there. Gallia is probably closer to the medina but these places we are recommending are generally all close by/in handy locations.

Re: Hotel Gallia

by TheLongTone

I stayed one night there, & thought it very nice... scrupulously clean, loads of haot water, good breakfast in a pretty courtyard.

Comments