6 Derb Sidi Moustapha - Zaouia Hdar, Marrakech, 40000, Morocco
Agoda.com Expedia.com Booking.com

More about Marrakesh

Rita's Marrakech pad:  like a painting.Rita's Marrakech pad: like a painting.

A red city wall in MarrakechA red city wall in Marrakech

Jardin Marjorelle (Jardin Bou Saf), MarrakeshJardin Marjorelle (Jardin Bou Saf), Marrakesh

see the tortoise and  goldfishsee the tortoise and goldfish

shopping for fakes

by Boyabouttown

Hi

travelling to marrakech in december this year and wondering if it is easy to but fake DVD's and PSP/Playstation games out there. If so, how much am I likely to pay and where would one recommend that I go to shop.

Also, do you get good deals on digital camera memory cards ?

Thanks

RE: shopping for fakes

by Adamis

Mate,

I bought a 256 memory card for my camera in Fes last year, as I had run out of space on my original one. I don't remeber the exact price but remember it being about two third the price I could've got in the UK.

Around the Djama el Fna in Marrakech there are loads of stalls selling DVD's, CD's, Games etc etc. You will see them, unless you walk with your eyes in your pockets. Again, can't give you prices, other than to say they were cheap compared to UK.

Adam

RE: RE: shopping for fakes

by JamalMorelli

You can get the DVD//VCDs for 10-30 DH.

p.s It's illegal and there's more of a crackdown here now, so shops are more discreet. However, like the above post says, they are everywhere on the street.

Don't end up hanging with Moroccan cops, boo

Have fun

Jamal

Travel Tips for Marrakesh

The high Atlas mountains

by dabuwan

From Marrakech you can see the high Atlas mountains, whose highest peaks (more than 4000 mt) are often covered with snow.
It is a short ride from Marrakech and there are terrific mountain views. Hiking and trekking trips can be organized locally.

Visit one of Marrakech's most famous patisseries

by angiebabe about Patisserie des Princes

This place is firstly one of Marrakech's most famous or best regarded patisseries - (which is also what I like to check out when Ive visited places around Morocco) - been here a number of times and with my local connection without the influence of it being recommended in my copy of the Lonely Planet - and secondly a cafe -

with a nice sitting area out the back for a safe haven of peace away from the hustle and stressful bustle of the area! Prices for coffee and freshly squeezed orange juice - especially considering delicious orange juice is available a few minutes away at the main square Djma elFna for only 3 dirham - are a little dearer than elsewhere but its still a great price by any european standards - eg a grande noss-noss and a large orange juice together for 21 dirham is not bad being only £1.30 with a nice place to sit to relax as my breakfast before the rush off to my morning flight!

Coffee in Morocco is generally another wonder that I enjoy Morocco for - it almost always just tastes so much nicer than coffee anywhere back in the UK!probably comparable with most coffees that Ive enjoyed around Spain, France and Italy. Usually Ive ordered it as 'noss-noss' which is still milky enough but stronger with half the milk of usual coffee. Famous for its patisseries - you can buy a pastry or something to eat there and then or you can dabble in the mouthwatering selections of little biscuits and cakes sold by weight ie price per 100g or per kilogram - which will be placed into whatever appropriate sized box and nicely wrapped with a ribbon which can make nice gifts to take home or if visiting family or friends in Morocco so you could get a number of boxes made up if you wish. - and one for you to eat while you travel around!?

(I will have to hunt out my sources to remind myself how the cost is on average and add this later)

And the coffee though there are a multitude of places around the area that serve just as good coffee at same or cheaper prices.

The Mellah

by keeweechic

The Mellah is the Jewish quarter of the city. They were moved in 1558 to this secure part of the city by Saadian Sultan Abdullah el-Ghalib to be near the Royal Palace. The quarter was surrounded by walls with only 2 gates to enter by, the main one being off Place des Ferblantiers. Their talents which incorporated bankers and jewellers were used by the Royal Family. The quarter even has its own cemetery.

Bahia Palace

by barryg23

One of Marrakech's most popular sights is Bahia Palace, a beautiful Saadian palace in the medina north of the Mellah. There were huge crowds gathered here the day we visited and we got in for free as a French couple who were leaving handed us their tickets which hadn't been taken. We had already been to Maison Tiskiwin and Dar Si Said so we had planned to leave the Bahia Palace until the following day but once we received the free tickets we decided to go see it.

Despite the large crowds it was a very enjoyable place to visit. The palace contains a number of fine courtyards, riads and gardens. It’s deceptively large and on more than one occasion we thought we had seen everything only to find another passage leading to another elegant courtyard.

Joyce_Lee's new Marrakesh Page

by Joyce_Lee

Marrakesh was always one of those exotic destination choices. There was always something about Morocco that had drawn me to it. I was not dissappointed. In fact I was rather pleased. It had a very pleasant atmosphere. The weather was perfect and the city was peaceful.

Comments