Riad Al Mamoune

suvanki's Profile Photo

Friendly Riad in medina

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 23, 2006

This 16th century Riad is reasonably priced and about 5 mins from Djemma El Fnaa (DEF)- depending on how quickly you get through the souk!

My taxi stopped near DEF, and a man with a cart was summoned by the driver, to take me (and my luggage) to my Riad.

As we hurried through the souk, I tried to remember which stalls we turned left or right at, and tried to remember landmarks. ( I later found this was OK in the day time -useless at night!!)

After a short while we arrived at a door in an alley way, which was opened by the manager of the hotel. I was shown into the courtyard, which was quite pleasant, and sat at a table with a freshly squeezed orange juice, as I filled in my address details etc.

He was very helpful during my stay, giving lots of information about things to do, and finding out about buses to Ouarzazate for me.

My room was up a flight of stairs, and was nicely decorated with a canopied bed, plenty of storeage space, there were fresh roses in a vase near my bed, oh and a narghile (hubba bubba pipe).

The bathroom was quite a surprise, a stone wash basin with bronze tap, and a shower that was contained in red stone, like the outer walls of Marrakech.

I was surprised to find that there wasn't a key for my room -it was lost somewhere - 2 girls in the room near me had the only room with a key! This was a slight concern, and I ended up sleeping with my heavy bag, and a chair against the door- which wasn't too ideal as the door opened outwards!

I just hoped I'd hear if anyone tried to enter, and fell over this pile. (There was a safe (free) for my passport, cards etc. in reception)

Unique Quality: I enjoyed my 1 night stay in this slightly quirky riad.

Breakfast was very enjoyable, sitting alone in one of the rooms on the ground floor, on a cushion at a low table, while I was served freshly squeezed orange juice from a pretty jug, with a lace edged cover, delicious pancakes with a sweet spread, freshly brewed coffee and fresh crusty bread with creamy butter. I felt like a VIP!

It was quite an adventure to find this riad when I returned late at night (I'd had very little trouble finding it twice during the day) Of course the stalls in the souk were all closed, but I hadn't realised that the Outer gates were also closed, which ended up with me being shown an alternative route, and again, as it was dark, I missed the alley way, as it wasn't lit.

Luckily I was rescued by an elderly lady, who fetched her nephew who could speak English, and even though we were only about 200yds away, he still had 2 attempts to find it!

Directions: Souk Smarine, from DEF, enter carpet market/pharmacies in square, then follow signs on the walls.

Nearby Riad Al Mamoune

5 Photos of Riad Al Mamoune

View Professional Photos

Marrakesh Travel Forum

Need advice about Marrakesh, Morocco? Visit the Travel Forum for Marrakesh and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Marrakesh hotel reviews