Riad Amira Victoria

12, Derb El Baroud, Hart Essoura, Bab Kechich, Médina, Marrakech, 40000, Morocco
Expedia.com Hotels.com Booking.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 56% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Marrakesh

Atlas MountainsAtlas Mountains

royal mausoleum with beautiful artworkroyal mausoleum with beautiful artwork

inside the restaurantinside the restaurant

Beef tagine, Le Lounge, MarrakechBeef tagine, Le Lounge, Marrakech

Footwear advice

by rachelcatherine

I am heading to Marrakech on 25 Feb 2007 for the first time. I have read that it is warmish in the day and colder at night. Can anyone tell me what sort of temperatures it is this week? And then in practical terms, what sort of clothes should I bring, bearing in mind that I am only bringing hand luggage? Also, does anyone have any recommendations for footwear? We are doing a trek into the desert but also hope to go out in Marrakech and I will only have room for 2 pairs of shoes max!

Secondly, I would like to visit a hamman which is cheap but still nice. Any suggestions?

Many thanks, Rachel

RE: Footwear advice

by JulesTwo

My husband got back two weeks ago from Marrakech and his shoes were covered in mud. One pair is completely ruined. They had a bit of rain while he was there and it really did a number on his shoes. It was not warm enough for him to go in the pool at the hotel. He wore a jacket at night and jeans and a short sleeve during the day. He also went hiking in the Atlas Mountains on the weekend and he said you really needed hiking boots for that.
Enjoy your time there
Julie

Travel Tips for Marrakesh

An open mind and a strong...

by hajin

An open mind and a strong stomach is needed here (and throughout Morocco). Remember that sheep's head may be strange to you, but it's a delicacy to others. When our friends took us through the market to teach us the different names of fruits and vegetables in Arabic, they thought it only natural that we would like to see a chicken slaughtered. As Americans, who try to pretend that we're not eating animals by cutting them up and wrapping them in plastic, it was a little too much. Then again, we were told that prior to his arrival in the US, our mutual friend was quite the sheep slaughterer in Casablanca.

Caleches-A pleasant way to travel around Marrakesh

by suvanki

The horse drawn carriages are known as caleches and are seen all over Marrakesh, lined up waiting for customers near the sights, or winding between the busy traffic.

I hired one from near Djemma el Fnaa, to take me to Les Jardins Majorelle. The driver pointed out a price list. 80dh for an hour. I think it was 11dh for a single trip within the medina, 15dh for a single journey outside the walls. Check first though.

Soon we were trotting along the roads of Marrakesh, jammed between the petrol fuelled vehicles. We then turned off into a quieter area with orange trees growing in the gardens of large detached houses.

Arriving at the gardens, my driver indicated where he'd be waiting and his carriage number.

I looked around the gardens, which was a pleasant experience, but I wasn't sure of how long I'd been there (I rarely wear a watch on holiday) so I didn't get to visit the museum, but I intended to return later in my stay.

I returned to my caleche, and we clip clopped back to Djemma el Fnaa. I'd had longer than an hour, so I was expected to pay more, (I think 160dh) but as I didn't have this money in change, the driver just smiled and accepted 100dh.

I found this a great way to travel around, but some people may be a bit upset by the way that these drivers use a whip to speed their horses along. It can also be a bit nerve wracking, winding amongst cars, bikes lorries etc, but the horses seem quite untroubled.

Day trip out of Marrakech to the high atlas

by aztat

Drive from Marrakech to the village of Imlil (64km) then start walking :

IMLIL - AROUMD - SIDI CHAMHAROUCH - IMLIL.
We set off today towards the southwest skirting the Berber town of Imlil (1740m), known as Morocco ’s ‘Little Chamonix’, set, as we are, in the upper level foothills of the Western High Atlas mountains of the Toubkal National Park. With streams and paths branching out in all directions, we traverse the Tamatert Valley until we reach the hamlet of Achelm to strike out for some 4km towards the south towards the Berber village of Aroumd (Aremd) (1843m), passing the hamlets of Taourirt, Targa, and Imoula, up and down the stark slopes, the jagged Western High Atlas peaks of the Jbel Toubkal Massif - at 4167m the highest peak in North Africa - before us, with her awe-inspiring sister peaks the Jbels Aguelzim (3547m), Aksouâl (3847m) and the Adrar Adj (3122m) watching us all the way.

We shall stop at Aroumd to visit this rather singular village in the Assif Aït Mizane Valley , built seemingly house upon house on a large moraine spur overlooking ancient irrigated terraced fields of barley, corn and vegetables and always surrounded by almond and walnut trees. We thence carry on for another 8km.to the equally-quaint village of Sidi Chamharouch, a Berber village set beside a waterfall and small stream, again with its pisé homes seemingly built somewhat chaotically one into another. This village is a place of pilgrimage for devout Moslems and it is where there is a marabout shrine – forbidden to non-Moslems - said to be a relic of a pre-Islamic religious and naturalist cult.
We take a break for a picnic, within full view of Jbel Toubkal, prior to setting off back down the other side of the valley at a gentle pace back to the delightful Douar ACHAYN then drive back to Marrakech.

Souk El Fakharine

by belgianchocolate

Ok , time to start shopping! I know people
who come to Marrakech only to do some shopping.
The pottery is very popular in europe. That
makes the prices go up. I'm sure about that.
But you can still do some nice bargains.
(prices go up because tourist with too much money
pay way too much....)

Anyway...I tried to figure out why some of the
pottery was much more expensive then other.
And it is actually simple. Some of the paterns
are much more complicated , more fine and
take a lot more time to produce. You will also
sometimes find that those bowls or whatever are
signed by the craftsman underside.

I knew what I wanted. It is hard to find the
blue ones in Belgium. I wanted two little
tagines to serve dessert in...a very little one
for sauce or spices and I saw this amazing
very fine decorated bowl.....YES!.

The bargaining? it is a sport. I hate it. Really.
When I shop I want to smack my card in the
machine and go out. I'm often not aware on what
I have paid. But here you need to play the game.

You want this one , how much?
Really? (make a sad face?)
Ok ok...how about this price?
And if I take that one also? and that one?
No , you can't be serious....
(make an even sader face , a bit disturbed too)
How about that price? A little bit higher?
Now it is time to leave the shop for a moment.
haha. Play the game , try to enjoy it

I know it is rediculous to give one adress..
you will never find it anyway. But I found him
very nice - he wasn't pushy and I felt confy.

Barigo Abdelaziz
Souk El Fakhrine
Number 15

Marrakech

by lucyt

I've put off writing my intro page to Marrakech for quite some time now.
So here goes.

My Marrakech is not, and never will be, the same as your Marrakech. Other cities offer a one experience fits all approach to life but not so Marrakech. And it's by far the better for it.

My Marrakech, the Marrakech I carry with me whilst walking the dog on rainswept moors, is a city of infinite contrasts. A city of baking heat and many smells - admittedly some nicer than others. A city of dark alley with sudden patches of blinding light. A city of passion, of belief held deep in the bones. Moment to moment it can vasilate from the vulgar to the delicate to the serene.

I love the way the alleys are relatively undistinguished and yet inside the architeture is sublime.

I love the fact that I will never really understand this place.

Comments