40 rue Fahl Zefriti Ksour, Djemmaa el fna, Marrakech, 40000, Morocco

Expedia.com Hotels.com Travelocity

• DAO's Profile Photo

SIMPLY WONDERFUL

OK. So the first time you take your own mother (in her 70’s) to Africa – you want to make sure that the accommodation is safe, quiet, well located, well decorated ,had good staff and be easy to book. Well done Riads Morocco people! The accommodation looked like the website. How often does that happen? To be fair there was some confusion about ensuite rooms and we were offered non-ensuite in the main building with the small pool. We were accommodated in the building across the alley and we loved it.

Let me rewind for a minute. When we arrived my Mum was trying to take in the chaos that is Marrakech. We took a while to find the place. When we did we were greeted by a large, ornate and ancient wooden door. When it opened we were ushered into a beautiful and tranquil courtyard and the pool. Tea was brought immediately and we were made to feel like long lost family returned home. Our rooms were sorted out and Mum had a red room on one floor and I had a blue room on the next.

Soft beds, air-conditioning, good showers and absolute silence at night meant a great night’s sleep every night. Breakfast (included) was a carb lover’s dream on the very sunny terrace. The staff could not have been more helpful. The building we stayed in allowed rooftop glimpses of the nearby area.

The location – once you figure out the alleyways – was amazing. 3 minutes walk to Jemaa El Fna Square and the heart of Marrakech. It is also a 1 minute walk to the Ouarzazi Bar in the hotel Les Jardins De La Koutoubia. I love my mum, but you need a drink or three after a long day of entertaining anyone’s mum.

So in addition to the excellent décor they also have a TV room with satellite TV and loads of games. You can sunbath on the terrace in complete privacy. The best part is sitting in the bottom of their cosy pool after a long and very hot day in the morass that is Marrakech. Not many riads have one. This is perfect. I had it all to myself thank you.

I loved my stay here and my Mum says its ace! And the price is nice for what you get.

Riad Chouia Chouia has rooms for about 14 to 20 guests with both ensuite and non-suite rooms. They also offer:

• Mini bar (some rooms)
    • Airport transfer 10.00 € (You can haggle a taxi a little cheaper)
    • Breakfast 3.00 € (unless you book it in the room deal)
    • Massage : 35.00 €
    • Lunch : 15.00 €, Dinner : 15.00 €
    • Baby sitting : 40.00 €

Unique Quality:
    They have an excellent video of the property here:

Riad Chouia Chouia Video

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

another nice place in the medina

We spent the last couple of days in town in the Riad Chouia Choiua - or to be more precise, in the annex of the riad (just opposite) which is definitely smaller and much nicer. It is also slightly more expensive, too.

Thumbs down for the management: on our last night they decided we had to move to another room in the main riad, because they wanted to give the room to another couple arriving that day. No explanations or apologisies were offered. Nor were we told if we were to stay in a better or worse room... we only knew that we were going to pay the same rate. Since they did not mention it when we made our booking, we decided that - if we were to pack our things - we might as well go and stay somewhere else... simply, as a matter of principle. The management was not impressed - but did not want to lose a customer, so they let us stay. As we had predicted, when we came back at night, they had forgotten to make our room.

Unique Quality: We had a very nice room with a comfortable bed and private bathroom.... I think the best asset of this annex is that it is very quiet - much quieter than the riad itself. Breakfast is included in the price, and it is served in the main riad - though it is nothing to write home about.

There's an electric heater in the room, which you sort of have to keep an eye on at night - as it tends to blow the fuses of the entire room... fortunately we discovered where they were, and managed to fix them a couple of times.

Directions: El Ksour - Médina - about 2 minutes walk through wnding lanes from jemaa el fnaa

• leigh767's Profile Photo

Exquisite Sanctuary

When it comes to accommodation, there are 3 things that make or break your stay:
    -the decor/ ambience
    - the bed
    -the shower

the first room I was given, La Gazelle, scored in all 3 areas in that not only was the blue-theme decor pleasing, it was also distinctly Moroccan. The bed was decent, but I was most thankful for the shower which had proper hot water and the pressure of the shower head could be adjusted on multiple levels. In short, good furnishings in a quaint riad. (45 Euro/night)

The second I stayed in, La Fantasia, is even more exquisite but instead of 2 doubles, this room has a king size. Bathed in glowing yellow, this room is alos tastefully decorated. (So lovely that I wasted quite a bit of time taking photos WITHIN the room!!)

Friendly staff and a very full breakfast that will keep you happy till late afternoon!

This riad also has a beautiful courtyard and terrace with a view of the Koutobia Minaret nearby.

Easily one of the most charming hotels in all the countries I've been to.

Unique Quality: A sanctuary that is unbelievably close to the bustle of Jmaa El Fna square.

though a little hard to find the first time, you will find yourself looking forward to returning to this gem of a riad each day. Bring a good book and enjoy the peacefulness as you sun bathe on the terrace.

Directions: If arriving at night, walk in the direction of the mint sellers in the Jmaa El Fna square. It's less than a 5 min walks from there.

Comments