Riad El Farah

Costs 40% less and rated 12% higher than other 3 star hotels

More about Marrakesh

Riad Safran - bedroomsRiad Safran - bedrooms

El Bahia PalaceEl Bahia Palace

After our first 'petit taxi' ride in GuelizAfter our first 'petit taxi' ride in Gueliz

Souk el KhemisSouk el Khemis

What currency do I take to Morroco?

by loz154

I have read that the Morrocan currency cannot be imported or exported out of the country, is it ok to take sterling to get changed at Marrakesh airport or dollars?
Also can anyone suggest any companies that lay on tours for you while you are there or is it best to book once you get there?
thanks

by xazy

They prefer Euros, but GBP OK as long as pound notes are clean and no writing on them. If you are going to reside in a known hotel surely they must offer you some tour trips.

by earthflyer

When i arrived at 5am last christmas there was nobody at the money counter had to use my credit card in the end and it did not except debit cards only Visa & Mastcard. Thats Marrakesh Airport.

by MyHollyDay

I found the easiest way to exchange to local currency would be via atm machine. It would help if your atm pin is 4 digits. Anything other than 4 digits would have a higher chance of not working since most atm seem to accept only 4 digits. I've used atm machines in morroco a couple of times and it worked perfectly. Just avoid stand alone atms. It would be safer to use atm in a bank or those attached to the building of a bank.

by RachelBlech

Hello

You can change sterling and euro notes at some ATM bank machines in Marrakech (they are marked CHANGE). There is an ATM/guichet at the airport in Marrakech when you arrive, though it is often temperamental. Your ordinary cashpoint card should work fine but try different high street banks e.g. BMCE, BMCI, Banque Populaire etc. I recommend you have some Euros in cash on standby just in case you have trouble with ATMs - they will be accepted by many businesses (approx 11 dirhams = 1 euro).

As for travel agencies - there's loads of them offering day excursions/tours at different rates. Your hotel may already have an agency it works with, but if you want to set something up in advance, let me know and I'll put you on to a personal contact with own agency.

Good luck!

Travel Tips for Marrakesh

Stucco

by tini58de

Stucco is a form of art that you will come across in almost all of the sites you visit in Morocco: beautiful ornaments and kalligraphy on the walls, around the windows or on the ceilings.

It was quite fascinating for us to see this old art still being performed! In the suuqs of Marrakesh we saw this man still working on stucco frescos! You have to be fast, because you have to sort of carve the ornaments out of the whole material while it is still moist!

By bus.

by belgianchocolate

If your traveling by a strickt budget , and you are tired
of hassling with taxidrivers over the use of the
meter-
TAKE THE BUS.

We took the bus a couple of times and didn't
see other tourist doing that often.
Often because of the warnings of pick pockets
etc. Just use your good sence.

A ticket will cost you 3 dirham.

Bus 11 brings you to the menara gardens.
It is also the bus for the airport , but it stops
about 800m from the airport.....
If you come from the Menara gardens , just jump
on any bus passing by and they will bring you
near the Jemaa-el-fna.

Water Park - Oasira

by sukey113

Fabulous water park we only found after having our car leafletted whilst in a cafe on Boulevard Mohammed VI. So good we went there twice. We have young children (4 and 6) and it was too far to drive to Eassouria, the nearest beach, which was apparently 3 hours n the car and back. So we visited "The Sea at Marrakech".

The Oasira had a lazy river you float down in rubber tubes, a Pirate Lagoon for little ones, with three slides which come out from an Octopus, a huge pool with wave machine and swim up bar, Toboggan racing slides, three snake rides, a scary ride only open at Midday and kid's lagoon with tipping bucket to splash waiting swimmers!

The park is on Km 4, route du barrage which is off Bd Mohammed VI near the Airport turn off.

Our holiday wouldn't have been the same without this wonderful water park. After all there is only so much slogging around dusty streets with kids in tow you can do.

The landscaped gardens were really tranquil, we found another normal pool we didn't even go in, the staff are helpful and overall it is really well planned out. We were a little disappointed they wouldn't let my little boy take his own little rubber ring in. But apart from that wouldn't hesitate to recommend to those that need to cool off and have a bit of fun, especially if you have children. This is not a scary water park and definitely not on a par with those in Orlando, Florida.

Jardin Menara ( Menara Gardens)

by suvanki

My taxi stopped outside the gates to this park, There wasn't much to see from the roadside, a bit of a wilderness.

Admission free. A long wide boulevard edged with olive groves leads to the pool and pavillion, which are the centrepieces of the gardens. Further on were palm trees and citrus trees.

The large still pool reflects the pavillion, which was built around 1866 allegedly for the Sultan to woo his mistress! Apparently there was a similar pavillion at the opposite end of the pool.

The park was once for the private use of the Sultans and his A list friends, and although the park is now for public use, you can't enter the pavillion.

I visited on a Sunday, it was quite popular with families taking a stroll, and groups of teenage girls walking along arm in arm singing, or taking photos of each other.

In all the tourist guide posters the snow covered High Atlas Mountains are clearly visible as a backdrop to the pavillion, but during my stay a haze prevented a clear view.

A pleasant cafe is situated opposite the pavillion, and there were some shops but they were closed.

The gardens stage a music and light show most evenings, though I thought it was a bit too cold to brave it. (see my nightlife tips for more info)

Not been yet!

by europeanguy

"Before Travelling"

I haven't been yet. Will go in a few weeks time. This is part of the fun of travelling: Planning the trip. My plan is to spend there just over a week and if I enjoy it go back for longer and explore the country more.

Comments