Riad Hamza

sunnysarah's Profile Photo

budget riad

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 16, 2006

We didn't stay here but it was one of the places we looked at.
It was $250 Dirham for a night.
The inner courtyard bit was nice with a fountain in the middle and the requisit tile mosaics.
The room was OK with a double bed, but the bathroom was dodgy.
There is a terrace to eat breakfast from.
Your basic budget place to crash, ideal for the single male traveller or less distinguishing couple.
(not as nice as the website makes you think!)

Directions: couple min from square.

Firestar24's Profile Photo

A Beautiful Riad in the Heart of the Old Medina

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 17, 2006

My decision not to stay in the Tazi had left Jonathan looking slightly disgruntled - I needed to find somewhere charming, clean, and cheap with a bar and fast. Heading up to the square we were fortunate to bump into Ahmed who quickly assessed our needs and provided three of four with speed and confidence.

Riad Hamza is hidden in the back alleys of the old medina and I have to admit that we would never have found it if it weren't for Ahmed's (somewhat costly) assistance. A discreet, beautifully carved & tiled doorway leads to the main stairs and reception area all tiled with intricate mosaics and brass lanterns. Past that is the courtyard with an airy sitting area, more mosaics and a fountain and rooms leading off. The staff don't speak English which I was happy about as it meant I had more opportunities to practise my French. We were first shown a ground floor room which was sweet with two single wrought iron beds and carefully detailed paintwork on the ensuite door. I was a little disappointed with the actual room - with such an entrance I'd expected more.... I got it!!

Ahmed spoke to the manager in Arabic and told us they had another room they'd like us to view. Oh my!! We trotted up the circular staircase and found one wonder after another, I was thrilled by everything! Finally, we reached Chambre 9....

....I was dumbstruck! We entered a golden room with small stained-glass shutters leading onto the courtyard, cool marrakech-pink walls with intricate mosaic border, a lovely open-plan shower-room with a fine painted swing door and, best of all, a wrought iron four poster bed draped in gold chiffon!!!! And the nice men told us we could stay there for just 500 dirham a night (That's about £30!!!!!). Quite simply I told Jonathan I wasn't moving!

Unique Quality: Considering this Riad is only four minutes walk from Djemma El-Fna it is remarkably peaceful. Breakfast is pancakes with maple syrup, pain au chocolat, fresh orange juice, coffee & mint tea served on the sun-drenched terrace at 8:30am for all the guests. We shared our visit with a German family of five and two Japanese girls and it was very comfortable and informal. The terrace is a blaze of bright yellow tiles and flowers with sun-loungers for lazy afternoons.

The rooms are air-conditioned, have huge televisions and always have hot-water. It really is a stunning place to stay. I want to say "quaint" but it really has more character than that - you'll never forget you're in Marrakech if you stay here!! I woke up on the first morning with the muezzin and the sun dazzling the stained glass (check out the photo!).

Jonathan had to put up with me for two whole days singing my new "I love my Riad" song!!!

And the keys!!!! I nearly forgot the keys!!! They have huge brass keyrings shaped like Riad doors and engraved prettily - see, it's all about detail!

Directions: Walking up Rue Riad Zitoun El Kedim towards Djemma El-Fna, turn right at the black and yellow hotel sign into the black alley. From there follow the tiny streets round many corners - there are plenty of beautifull Riads on these streets.

5 Photos of Riad Hamza

Marrakesh Travel Forum

Need advice about Marrakesh, Morocco? Visit the Travel Forum for Marrakesh and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Marrakesh hotel reviews