No 26 Derb Sarij Gnaoua, Marrakech, 40 000, Morocco
Booking.com Expedia.com Priceline.com

More about Marrakesh

Traditional Moroccan FootwearTraditional Moroccan Footwear

Kotoubia MinarettKotoubia Minarett

Please click on these photos to see what I mean!Please click on these photos to see what I mean!

View from Ali ben Youssef MedersaView from Ali ben Youssef Medersa

Trip to Marrakesh

by red120

Hi everyone,

I have done some reading on the subject, but want to ask you guys some things. I will be going to Marrakech from Nov. 13 to Nov. 29; I am having some trouble finding accomodation, as none of the cheap places I have e-mailed have responded back to me. Are there any recommendations for this?

Also, should it be necessary to buy a phrasebook for Arabic/French? As I don't speak any, and I will be travelling by myself, will it be difficult to haggle and make myself understood? It seems like, however, all the tips and things people posted, they communicate so easily in English!

Is there any other concerns I should have, or just additional tips that arn't listed obviously?

Thanks everyone :)

by kbr61263

They speak EVERY language in marrakesh, well, except finnish. We pretendede to be finnish and speak nothing else to try and avoid the hassle (but its fun)

by kbr61263

I stayed at this hotel. was many years ago. I see reviews here are mixed.

by red120

250MAD, quite expensive though! As I am a student travelling and staying there so long, I basically only want to find 1) single room 2) ensuite bathroom 3) security box in the room...

Was hoping to spend about, at most, 15EURO a night.

Go here -

It's covers the bargaining and language questions. (Kind of)

Regarding the hotels...To paraphrase Dr Groucho Marx: Stop sending e-mails.
Fax works, phone works.

And buy the LP Moroccan Arabic - your book store will order it for you.

Work your way around the rest of the tips for dangers, stag parties and cultural effluvium.

by kbr61263

I didnt look at the current price. we got a much cheaper price than the one listed at the time because we turned up and they werent full. I guess that as was said before phone calls are the way to go> Ihave been trying emails but they just dont get replied to.
I would phone some of the more reasonable looking places direct and see what they say. if they all have vacancies then you could wait and find one when you get there.

by TheLongTone

Yes Marrakesh is very multiligual...English will get you by (if nothing else, in the suq their Eglish is good enough for bargaining)
Some French is useful. Most morocccans speak it.
Arabic...
LA is no
and
SHUKRAN is Thank you

& Hello is as salaam aleikum (answer aleikum wa-salaam

This much arabic goes a long way insh'allah

I just know I'm going to be corrected for my rudimentary Arabic :-)

by twynham

Hi there,
I've just found this site which is useful for Arabic phrases with audio pronunciation, http://www.lexicorient.com/babel/arabic/01.htm
Hope I can remember some when we get there.
Regards,
Les.

Do you have an iPod?
It is language learner's new best friend.

by JamalMorelli

I forget to add to work your way through the seemingly limitless choices

If you can't make accomodations out of what's offered here - well, you know what they say about being able to hit the broad side of a barn.

And I will reiterate that FAX has been my cheapest and most effective way to make my reservations.

by hamou

hi
here with me you can noit find the touble in accomodation , i can speak englsih flently and frensh and italy and spain ....
i man from moorocco i m guide and i organiz the trip here in morocco (drink ,food,hotels,trip4x4, .....)i make a prety cheper prices .
if u need some informasion about that our juste about marakesh , u can email me : www.bahadesertours.com / acour_desert@yahoo.com
brahim and gesile

Travel Tips for Marrakesh

Jardin Majorelle .......A Real Dream !

by khalid_2

Majorelle Garden in Marrakech

Majorelle Garden, an oasis of calm and cool, fresh air in the heart of the city of Marrakech. The garden has gained in notoriety over the last few years, and it was about time! The garden is named after its designer, Jacques Majorelle, a painter and amateur botanist. He came to sunny Marrakech in 1917 because he had tuberculosis. He planted his garden around his studio. It's the ideal spot for lovers of cacti and rare essences. The garden's beautiful bougainvilleas make the entire property smell heavenly.
The garden was completely abandoned when its owner died. But thanks to Yves Saint Laurent and Pierre Bergé, its new owners, this beautiful garden has a new lease on life. The garden where Majorelle loved to paint and admire his own botanical masterpiece, is now a gathering spot for tourists, couples, and people out for an afternoon stroll, wanting to escape the noise and dust of the city and to experience a moment of calm in one of the most famous gardens in Morocco.
The painter's studio has been transformed into a small museum of Islamic art where you can admire beautiful rugs, Berber pottery and a few paintings and drawings by the artist.
The bright blue color that you'll find in Jacques Majorelle's garden has its own patent.

Lovely setting and good food!

by tere1 about DAR MOHA RESTAURANT

The Dar Moha has a lovely restaurant with a great fixed menu of "nouvelle cuisine marocaine".
We had pastilla (sweet pigeon pie) filled with a vegetable purée, tagine and strawberries wrapped in wafer-thin pastry and rolled in ground almonds.

The setting is lovely, around a light swimming pool. I recommend you to book ahead as this is a very well known place and gets fully booked. Very romantic, with good food and traditional music players. The various Moroccan starters were delicious!

The Medina

by feio

In what century am I? Should I bring money or goods? How the hell am I gonna get out of here?

These are some questions you might think about when you visit the Marrakesh medina. For a few hours you believe to have travelled back in time, and if you don't be carefull, you'll problably get lost forever... ;)

La Menara Gardens & Bassin

by mvtouring

As part of our horse-cart trip we went to Le Menara. This huge bassin is a bit out of town, some 4 kms west of Djema el Fnaa. Free entrance, a pleasant place to have a walk in the evenings to see the sunset. You can feed the fishes that live there, bring some bread.

Finally, the exoticism I was expecting...

by VTShounen

This was my second stop in my first trip into Africa. I did not get the intense feeling of exoticism that I was expecting in Casablanca. But Marrakech.. that's something else! Such a pity that I was couped up in a conference for most of the one full day I was there. Did make it out to the medina and the market though, and that was certainly not a disappointment.

Comments