62 Derb el Hammam, Mouassine, Marrakech, 40000, Morocco
Booking.com Expedia.com Priceline.com

More about Riad Magellan

Christmas at the Riad Magellan

by TripAdvisor Member MLH46

We have just come back from spending Christmas at the Riad Magellan. We could hardly have made a better choice. As a group of friends, the six double bedrooms suited us well. Each room is tastefully colour coodinated and comfortable. The Riad is a five minute walk just north of the Jama'a al Fna; close (but not too close) to the Moussine Mosque in a fascinating part of the Medina. Walk down the narrow alleys and enter the courtyard with rose petals in the central fountain; the bedrooms are on the ground floor and off the first floor balcony. There is a roof terrace for breakfast and sunbathing. Under Philippe's direction and Adil's management, Muhammad and the ladies made us feel completely at home. Nothing was too much trouble. We discovered plenty of good restaurants within easy walking distance but we ate in on three nights. The Moroccan dishes served for supper were excellent; the bastilla was the best we have ever tasted - it would be hard to find better anywhere. Overall, a very pleasing experience which deserves to be repeated.

Fantastic stay in fanastic little Riad

by TripAdvisor Member goodwin71

We had a fantastic stay at Riad Magellan. Walking through the winding streets of the Medina on arrival you think you are never going to get there - it's tucked away in a quiet street. Once you get your bearings you appreciate the location in the heart of the Medina andt you will be glad of the peace and quiet away from the bustling souks!

The Riad is a charming place to stay, the rooms are nicely, but simply, furnished - but all in traditional moroccan style and very clean.

The staff are great, nothing is too much trouble - and the pancakes at breakfast were delicious!

Great Riad, would stay again, few small issues

by TripAdvisor Member Paxosconcierge

We stayed at Riad Magellan 19-24 Feb, we booked through Simpson Travel.

Like all the other reviews say, being met where the taxi dropped us off by a lad with a homemade cart was a bit daunting but go with it, he meanders through the medina with you hot on his heels to eventually turn up at this big oak door in the middle of the medina, it opens up to an oasis, a beautiful riad, we were greeted by Agil, very helpful & as he poured our mint tea & asked us to make ourselves at home adding "this is your home now" we relaxed into paradise.

You could be the richest person in the world once inside the Riad, nobody would even guess you're behind that oak door.

Bit dissapointed that the owner (although helpful when you actually approached him) couldn't find it in himself to introduce himself to us, he could learn from that IMO.

Night porter Mohammed was an absolute star, little older guy, nothing was too much trouble, he escorted us to restaurants personally at night, got us food delivered in when we didn't feel like going out, a true gentleman, despite his English being limited, as mentioned a few times on here.

The girls (who made breakfast & also cleaned rooms later) were fabulous, nothing was ever too much trouble & they were fantastic.

Downsides were: Owner not introducing himself & just sitting in his small office all day on the PC, if it wasn't for his excellent staff he'd suffer for it.

Raid was a little noisy when full, but I think all riads will be like this due to the open plan aspect of them.

Great location, less than 5 mins from Jemma al Fena, yet in a practically deserted part of the medina.

Overall, great time had & would probably stay there if we returned.

Enjoyable Stay for a New Yorker

by TripAdvisor Member BXPR

Riad Magellan was enjoyable stay. The Place looks exactly like the photos online and there were no surprises.Riad was very pretty and quaint. A safe have from the hustle and bustle of the days out in the el jemma square. And in our price range. We were welcomed with fresh mint tea or orange juice everyday.
The manager was very helpful and recommend some great restaurants like Le Foundouk and Pacha nightclub. We did not find language to be a barrior despite us not spekaing french.
Disclaimer:
It was bit of a culture shock upon arrival to walls of Marrakech city...when the cars could no longer fit down the ancient narrow streets. And your luggage is placed into a wooden wheel barrel. The path seemed a bit scary...and confusing... something straight out of an indian jones movies and could be pretty dark night...stay in groups. It was definitely not for a first time traveler but more for the adventurous type. With that said by the second day we settled into this new and exotic world. We got to know the people and children in the streets and souks everyday...we felt comfortable and found them to be extremely freindly and helpful and we got the hang of how to get get around and get back to our riad on the right path. Would luv to go back to morroco and continue to explore!

Very average and security issues

by TripAdvisor Member TouristFrance

Negative facts:
- RISK OF ELECTRIC SHOCK by touching the ground plug : don't stay with children !
- not all rooms equipped with air conditioning
- the owner and his assistant don't interact unless you request some information and are quite unavailable in opening hours
- quite expensive compare to services and other riads available in the area

Positive facts :
- good location;
- quiet environment, could be noisy if personel speaks loudly;
- nice personel
- good breakfast even if it couldn't be served before 8.30 am

Fantastic

by TripAdvisor Member burgerdenc

What a fantastic time!

I must say I was a little disconcerted when the road got too small for the car and our bags were transferred into a wheelbarrow and we were led through tiny winding streets and tunnels. But what a gem!!

This riad is fantastic, clean, beautifully decorated, and in a fantastic location.

We had massages, which although bordering on violation, were fantastic, and they arranged dinner in a local restaurant for us - le fondouk. Overall absolutely amazing!

Excellent place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member KaribuSussex

It was a little disturbing when we were dropped off by the taxi on a corner in the middle of Marrakech but our bags were taken by a man with a barrow which we followed through the streets of the Medina until we finally came to a door in an alley. The door was opened into this beautiful oasis by the night watchman who was so kind and accommodating. We were shown to our rooms after the obligatory glass of mint tea which was lovely - very clean and comfortable. The night watchman then showed us how to naviagate the alleyways to the main market square and gave us his number if we needed any further help. Once you have done the walk a few times, it is quite easy. You are in the middle of the main old town which is fantastic and so atmospheric. We are so glad we stayed here rather than one of the hotels as we soaked up the atmosphere of the real Marrakesh but with the added comfort of the Riad. All the staff were very friendly and helpful and the Riad was extremely clean, comfortable and the breakfast excellant. Probably the only down side is that you can hear quite a lot of what is happening within the Riad.

Quite nice and very pleasant

by TripAdvisor Member schrap2755

I stayed at this hotel December 06 but remember it fondly.
I booked directly over the hotels website and arranged a driver from the airport. Thank goodness I did so as I don't think I would have ever found the place especially considering it's interior to the overall medina area and no cars can pass.

I landed at night, driver picked me up at the airport then was met by a man who carried my luggage through the warren of passageways to the hotel.

Once inside. it was wonderful! Great gurrgling fountain, ambient music and incense -- the whole works. I was smitten.

I stayed in the ground floor Blue room which as I was solo worked quite well. As it was December there were only a couple other rooms taken so I had a wonderful breakfast alone up on the roof terrace and basically felt I had the place to myself.

I'd paid about 70E's per night which included breakfast. I also paid another 20E's (total) for the driver to/from the airport which I'm sure could have been a lot cheaper, however the convenience factor alone was worth it.

I walked myself into the main medina as the hotel provided a small map. It was really close ( about 5-7 minutes) and memorized the path quickly.

A couple words of caution: Brush up on some basic French as the staff can communicate better in French than English. Also, the place can be so terribly quiet you can hear a pin drop . .which usually makes me feel self-concious so I don't make too much noise. To that, as it's so quiet . 'ya usually wake up when the folks start stirring in the morning as unless you have earplugs or a sound sleeper .. you pretty much hear everthing.

All being said --- wouldn't have traded it for nothing!

Excellent riad, great location

by TripAdvisor Member Mme_Cholet

I stayed her for a couple of nights in May with my husband, and 4 of our friends. Having been to Marrakech on several occasions, we knew how to find the riad - it is tucked down a narrow street but is literally less than 5 mintues walk from Djemaa el Fna and, as everyone says of almost every riad, an oasis of calm in comparison!
We were made to feel welcome immediately, and shown to our rooms - the orange (double on first floor), the beige (split level room accessed from the ground floor) and the blue (twin on ground floor) - all with ensuites with rose petals scattered around.
There is a charming roof terrace, and smaller side terrace, to relax on, and numerous spots around the building to sit and chat or just lay back.
Breakfast was lovely - we didn't take any other meals but dinner is available with 24hrs notice.
The staff were charming - some English is spoken but all understand French, it seems, so a basic command of that language will help you out all over Morocco, not just here.
One of our friends opted for a massage - and says it's the best she's ever had.
Special thanks to the gentleman who gave us a tour of the two neighbouring riads, one being refurbished and one with exquisite woodwork in particular.
All in all, a great place to stay - we will be back.

Great Riad in the Marina

by TripAdvisor Member GoodDuck

Despite a delayed flight and additional delays due to lost luggage, a taxi driver from the riad was waiting for us at the airport and took us directly to the riad. We were met with mint tea and showed to our room, the blue room, which was comfortable and clean. Making contact with the riad directly and having them meet you at the airport is the way to go with this as with any riad in the medina, since finding anything in the medina is tricky.
Eating dinner at the riad is a must, as it's a great experience to get a traditional meal in the comfort of your own relaxing courtyard.
We stayed two nights in this room and then were transferred to another property just a short walk away, which was also enjoyable and quiet.
Nice rooftop area and pleasant personnel.

A Few Questions

by dawn2006

Does anyone know anything about Riad Safa or Riad Badra? I've seen good reviews on Trip Advisor and I've visited their websites, just wondered if anyone had stayed there and what they thought.

Also, if anyone can recommend anywhere in the medina for under 60 euros a night would be good - going in March or April.

I've also seen that a couple of riads give free passes to Nikki Beach (Riad Magellan and another one I can't remember). Does anyone know of anymore?

Thanks in advance.