Riad Mariana

Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

More about Marrakesh

Carpet sellers near Bab DoukalaCarpet sellers near Bab Doukala

c: iris2002c: iris2002

Stall selling dried fruit.Stall selling dried fruit.

Place Jemaa El-Fna (Marrakesh, Morocco)Place Jemaa El-Fna (Marrakesh, Morocco)

Things to do

by GBB

I am visiting Marrakesh for 5 nights from Feb 22nd. I am just wondering what would be good to do for 2 adventure and culture seeking lads to see? We want to see the city (of course), but how about seeing villages in the mountains? Or 4x4 driving? How much is this sort of thing likely to cost?

Thanks,

Gregg

RE: Things to do

by kateross

Hey there- 5 days isnt long enough to really travel far, but too long to spend in the city in my opinion. I spent 5 days there and I felt I'd seen everything after 3. The best part of my trip there no question was a trip i took into the Sahara. I went to a tour place a friend reccomended as safe, signed up for a 3 day trip (it was about 70 pounds/like 140 american I guess) and I went in a comfy van with about 6 other travellers. We spent the first night in the Atlas mountains and were entertained by local Berbers in a dark old (what I guess you would call a hotel- cold but comfortable). It was nice because we didnt feel too touristy and ended up playing music and dancing late with some of the locals (we also smoked some amazing hash if you are interested in getting more involved with local customs). We drove out to the desert the next day but stopped at quite a few places, then we got on camels and travelled out into the sahara for about 2 hours where we set up a fire, and Tajine with our hands and played bongos, danced, sang, and smoked more all night. The sunrise was unreal and worth the whole trip if you ask me. It was one of the most amazing experiences I've had and I'd be happy to answer any more questions (let you know some of the common scams we came across) or send photos if you want. Enjoy your trip, I'm very jealous!

by GBB

That sounds my kind of thing, including the hash. I am going with my 16 yr old brother though, whose travels include Wales and Euro Disney, oh and the Costa Del Sol. All with family because he is rather timid! I am well up for getting into the Sahara, this is a serious priority, but maybe just for one night to be honest. Would like to see some of the valleys too, and just chill. What sort of scams are around? I have seen a lot of scammy things in Rio, but I hear Morroco can be a level above! Thanks for the prompt reply anyway.

by katwrinch

kateross - wondering if you could give me the details of the trip you took the sahara, sounds right up my street. Going on sunday, hope to hear from you before then!
Kat

by GBB

I would like to travel out to the Sahara or at least up to the mountains that would be cool.

Re: Things to do

by jobsatz

Can you please give me info on the sahara tour from marrakesh?

Re: Things to do

by Steve237

I want to know more about kateross' trip too, sounds right up my street!!

Hope she is around to give more details, her email link doesn't work...

Travel Tips for Marrakesh

Spices

by belgianchocolate

When you go to the 'mellah' , the old jewish
quarter - the shopping mal in front of the 'Sagha'-
(the market of the juwelers)
you can spot these colorful towers at the
spice stores. If you wonder like we did how thay
make them you can see it in the picture.
With patience! haha.

You put the powder in a sieve and start building
these spice piramids...layer after layer.

Designer airport-The revamped airport of Marrakech

by angiebabe

The renovations to Marrakech airport were finally completed in 2008 and are rather stunning!

Each time Ive seen the shadows the stunning new designs create and the pretty details in the ceilings Ive had to take photos.

Now both departures and arrivals are in the one building - and everything is in here - ATMs, money changers, a number of Car rental firms - both International and local budget companies, cafes and restaurants and of course a few tempting shops for last minute buys.

And as usual with Morocco there are numerous police around.

out of this world

by jpizquierdo

Here you will feel morrocco, you will note how your sences will feel overloaded by the seenery, you´ll see snake enchanters, tribal doctors ( african style ) a lot of food stahls street vendors, theefs,

El Badi Palace

by Bigjones

This was originally one of the most beautiful palace in the world. But now, it's only ruins since the materials were used to build Moulay Ismail's own palace in Meknes.
You can explore the underground corridors and go on top to admire the view (mainly on the storks). At the entrance, guides will propose you a guided tour of the ruins but according to me, it's not necessary since there is nothing special to see.
Entrance fee is 10 Dh (1 euro) but if you don't have much time, forget about this place ;-)

Wonderful Marrakech

by Procaccini

"The famous Jamaa el Fna square by night"

(UNDER CONSTRUCTION)

Marrakech is an amazing city, located south of Casablanca, between the Atlas high mountains covered of snow in winter, and the largest Sahara desert.

The city has something magic, a very special atmosphere, specially in the night, when the people love to get together in the unique Jamaa el Fna square, where you can breath the real life of the deep Morocco, listen to the stories about the past ages, and coming from the close desert, and dream about the marvellous Mosques, Royal Palaces, old-fashioned arab buildings, many attractive Bazars where you can buy everything.....and so on.........

I visited Marrakech on april 2003.
You need many days to visit well Marrakech !
Unfortunately I had only two days there:
I hope to go back again !

"The Minaret of the Koutoubia Mosque"

The most famous and picturesque mosque of the city is the Koutoubia Mosque, near the Jamaa el Fna square.

"Enchantment of the Majorelles Gardens"

The Majorelles Gardens are very charming.
They have been built by the french artist Majorelles.

Inside the blue House there is today the Arabic Art Museum.

Comments