48 Derb Sidi Mohammed El Haj, Bab Doukala, Marrakech, 40030, Morocco

El Badi Palace - guest roomsEl Badi Palace - guest rooms

Tile work in Bahia PalaceTile work in Bahia Palace

Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz or Gueliz

by giulianabet

Hi, we are traveling to morroco for new years and we are looking to rent an appartment (given we are a large group on our mid twenties).
We have located 2 nice affordable appartments. almost the same cost but in different zones, one is in Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz and the otherone is in Gueliz. the one on Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz is more modern and best decorated although costs the same.
which one would you recomend based on the location if we want to get to know the city well and also spend the nights out :)?
many thanks in advanced!

by angiebabe

Id choose the place that appeals to you the most and wherever it ends up being catch taxis to wherever you want to go - walking is a great way too of course to see the locals and the surroundings - but taxis are cheap and easy to get so its not a prob to utilise the local taxis and give them some extra business!

by khalid_2

I would chose Gueliz!!!"Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz" to "Gueliz" is like "Morroco" to "Marrakech",it's more general,,so,for me you should chose "Gueliz",that is the center of Marrakech,Because "Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz" is bigger,and you can't know where it is exactly,and for taxies,I know many places here in Marrakech where is very difficult to have one!

by angiebabe

With all respect to Khalid and I wouldnt guarantee that Marrakech-Tensift-ElHaouz wouldnt be problem free but from the dealings Ive had all over Marrakech - and Marrakech-Tensift-ElHaouz is still Marrakech so I dont really understand that it can be likened to saying its as Morocco is to Marrakech - I wouldnt understand that with all the tourism push in Marrakech that apartments to promote and provide tourist acccommodation will be in an area that taxis arent available nor be somewhere that petite taxis would not opportunity of.

Of course Gueliz being the new centre and next to the old centre the location is more central but I still reckon go with the place that appeals. or keep looking. there are plenty of good apartment hotels around Gueliz too - ive stayed in some very nice ones for low price and the benefits of having a kitchen and thus being able to cook/store and refrigerate food etc is very helpful when staying in one place for a while and of course when with a group.

by khalid_2

I apologize for the quick responce,but I hope you would like to know "what is Marrakech-Tansift-El Haouz.
Image:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Marrakech_tensift_al_haouz.jpg
Explanation:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marrakech-Tensift-El_Haouz
Angie,always remember,when you see 2 things with the same price but one better than the other,,expect the worst!

by khalid_2

But I would like hearing from u at any price Angie :)
Your Friend Khalid

by angiebabe

Thats sweet of you to add that Khalid!am off to Italy in a few hours so ive got to get off VT for now and on to other things but I will be back.

by khalid_2

I don't know if Italy is better,,but Marrakech is asking for you :)
Maybe in Christmas days Italy is better,,but in spring,,i'm not sure ;)
Greetings :)
By the way,"Sicilly,or Sicilia",is it that beautiful ?

Travel Tips for Marrakesh

Henna artists

by iwys

Moroccan ladies desperate to paint henna designs on foreigners' hands and feet seem to be everywhere in the Medina, with the biggest concentration in el Djemaa el Fna.

There are two types: natural brown henna and a chemical dye known as black henna. The latter lasts longer, but it is dangerous, as it can cause bad skin reactions and even cancer.

The henna artists in Djemaa el Fna usually operate in groups of three and can sometimes forcibly grab a foreigner's hand and start squirting henna on it. Try to avoid them. If you want a henna design, get chatting to people in the souks and ask them to recommend someone. They will then fetch a traditional henna artist, who will charge far less then the ones in the square.

You will undoubtedly see...

by pjallittle

You will undoubtedly see folklore shows. Let's look at it from the performer's point of view. This is what the backstage is like after the performance.

These two ladies are exhausted and they have to be fresh and ready in 10 minutes.

Terrasse Panoramique

by barryg23 about Cafés

The big attraction of Terrasse Panoramique is its rooftop terrace overlooking the Djemaa el-Fna. Drinks are expensive (15 Dh for a mint tea) but not exorbitant, but it's worth it as you have one of the best vantage points over the square, and a nice view of the Koutoubia mosque in the distance. The café is on the east side of the square, beyond the orange juice stalls.

Strong stomach? Check out the tanneries...

by sunlovey

Oh dear. This place nearly made me faint. I could NOT BELIEVE the stench! I could not believe what I was witnessing! As we approached the plethora of cement vats containing GOD KNOWS WHAT we were handed a sprig of mint "GAS MASK!" said the man and gestured for us to hold it to our noses. However, MY sprig had bits of animal fur stuck to it and that was that. I got dizzy, weak in the knees and Tim led me the hell out of there. The man we were talking to led us away from the tanneries and up some obscure stairs, then onto a terrace with the coolest old tile floor to look at the leather workers in action from above. He explained the process of softening the leather and whatnot and I decided I'd not be buying a single leather piece while there. This is most definitely interesting, but it wasn't for me.

MARRAKESH IS LOVELY !

by tere1

Having been to Tangier and Agadir already, I didn't like any of these cities. But I had to give Morocco another chance ,so I decided to visit Marrakesh. And I am so glad I did it! Because it's a wonderful city and I loved it a lot!

Comments