Derb Chtouka 218 Derb Tadla, Marrakech, 40000, Morocco

Satisfaction Average

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 65% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Marrakesh

Men with monkeyMen with monkey

MarketMarket

djamma el fna at night.djamma el fna at night.

Minaret Koutoubia (Marrakesh, Morocco)Minaret Koutoubia (Marrakesh, Morocco)

holiday

by Saf1

Hi

I am planning on going to Marrakesh with my husband from around 23rd Jan. Can someone please tell me what the weather will be like?

Also things to do for couples good restaurants and any interesting activities.

All replies appreciated.

RE: holiday

by tracyallsop

hi i was in marrakech in nov, the weather was in the high 70's with blue sky and but snow on the Atlas mountains,may be similar when you go. We did need a cardigan in the evening the sun went down about 6.00pm. Are you aware there is little alcohol in the old part of the city, we only found two places to have a beer! remember these names you may be glad you did. The Grand Tazi just off the place el jemma el fna and The Kozy bar/ restraunt by the entrance to the badi palace.This restruant is really lovely romantic also.
Have a great time if you need any more help email me i try to help.Cheers

Travel Tips for Marrakesh

Packing List

by SirRichard

PACK FOR HOT CLIMATE
Morocco can be very hot, especially from March to October, so don't forget to bring some light clothes, T-Shirts and shorts.
Bring some warm clothes too, if you are planning to go to the desert (it get's really cold at night), and some long trousers if you want to visit mosques and religious buildings.

In the desert

by Leipzig

In the desert the best transportation is the camel. Signs like this ('Tombouctou - 52 days') guide you to your destination.

I personally don't like riding a camel. This permanent up and down makes me seasick.

Koutoubia Mosque - The Minaret

by suvanki

One of Marrakeshs' landmarks. The 221 ft high square minaret is the tallest in Marrakesh and can be seen for miles away (it was my last sight of Marrakesh as I boarded my plane home)

Koutoub or Kutub is Arabic for books, the mosque was built on the site of an old booksellers market or library (I've been told both versions)

Dating back to the 12th Century, the square design inspired the Girald in Seville and Hassan Tower in Rabat.
Inside the minaret are 6 rooms,with a ramp running on their outer from top to bottom, which the muezzin could ride to the top.

At the top of the tower can be seen a wooden scaffold..our guide told us this is where they hang their wives who can't cook! However, it's purpose is to assist the deaf...as they can't hear the call to prayer, a flag is hoisted at the appropriate times. ( I didn't get chance to spot the flag, but I'll look out next time!)

Four solid gold balls are at the very top of the minaret. Apparently the 4th ball was added by the wife of Ysaub El Mansour, when her jewellery was melted as a penance for failing to fast. (I've since read the spheres are copper not gold!

Each side of the minaret is decorated with different carved stonework panels and carvings. The green tiles are a typical feature of Islamic architecture.

The mosque isn't open to non-muslims. However, there is quite a bit to see from the outside.

The Art of Henna.

by onlinerep

You won't be able to walk more than a few yards in Djemaa El Fna before you hear the local women shouting at you to come and have henna decorated on your hands. If you don't go to them - they will come after you! Since it was 2 days before Eid ul-Adha in Marrakech and I was going home the next day, I decided to have the henna done.

There are 3 different henna colours to choose from (red, brown and black) and the price will depend on which colour you want and how small or big you want the designes. I chose the black henna, which I was told would last up to a month. It lasted a WEEK!! I paid 100 Moroccan Dirhams for both hands. I'm sure I could have haggled a bit more.

Moroccan Delight: Cooking School in Marrakesh

by travelmad478

In November 2003, my friends and I spent a week in Marrakesh doing a cooking course specializing in Moroccan cuisine. While we spent much of our time in the kitchen (and lounging around our lovely villa), we did get into the city of Marrakesh every day to explore the sights.

Comments