22 Taht sour Ikbir, Zaouia Abbassia, Marrakech, 40000, Morocco

Satisfaction Average

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 35% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Marrakesh

Has the feel of a village streetHas the feel of a village street

Belly Dancer - At A DistanceBelly Dancer - At A Distance

Guéliz - modern buildingsGuéliz - modern buildings

wool off to the dyers deptwool off to the dyers dept

Marrakech two nights on a budget

Hi there,

I am really enjoying reading all the good info in these forums. Thanks everyone!

Two of us (me and my guy) are traveling to Marrakech for the first time in a few weeks and need 2 nights accommodation and any other tips you may have on restaurants, sites and transport. Regarding accommodations, we have a bit of a journey ahead of us so budget is important but we want style, friendlyness, and a clean private room in the Medina area.

Anyway, any suggestions for Riads/guesthouses to stay in? There are sooo many gorgeous places on here to look through and many seem dated - when I visit their sites the actual rate is out of our budget.

Wanting something centrally located, inexpensive, traditional or hip, friendly, safe, clean...

(Any other suggestions for restaurants and short visit must-sees also appreciated.))

After Marrakech, we plan to take the train to Casablanca... two days in that city (have accomm).. then fly/train/or bus??? to the south of Spain (anyone with experience there - advise appreciated too!!) - (also posted in Spain)

Is the train easy enough to get on and off from Marrakech to Casa? Is the station in the Medina or a taxi away? Should we book from here or is it okay to wait until we arrive?

Lots of questions.. any help appreciated.

Best,
Shauna

by cachaseiro

i would like to recommend riad johenna:
www.riad-johenna.com
it's run by a very friendly young morrocoan woman that speaks english, french and german, aswell as arabic of course.
her place is nice but still not that expensive.
it's located in the medina 3 minutes walk from djamaa el fnaa.
i have a few photos of the place on my marrakesh page with a direct link tothe website.

by angiebabe

Hi, and welcome to VT - I would like to point out that tips and recommendations and travel experiences are written about and provided specially for your questions in the Travel Guides/Travel pages sections by VTers - go to the destinations eg Marrakech and for example click on the 'Top 5' rated pages - or all rated pages - and that will give you lists of pages made by VTers - the rankings help give an idea of pages that have rated for helpfulness etc.

There are some excellent pages on Marrakech and on Morocco and many other destinations - I have a few accommodations in Marrakech that I recommend.

All the best.

by walshaun

Thank you guys. Looking at your pages now and will ask specific questions as they arise.

Thanks again!
Shauna

by angiebabe

Hi and enjoy the roam around! But as for Casablanca - youve got there that youve already got accomm there - I would only recommend the must see Hassan mosque there and some of the art deco/architecturally interesting buildings around downtown Casa and then head off again - half a day is plenty - and time would be better spent at Rabat with its Ouadia fortress, Mohammed mausoleum, the Chellah and the medina and medersa at Sale, along the exotic botanic gardens (Jardins exotique) further up the coast, and Id recommend a night at Asilah before heading to Tangier and leaving Morocco.

they are all connected with the same train line. Have a look anyway for a few more ideas.

by walshaun

thanks! We are considering Asilah... it looks so pretty! We are now thinking of driving instead of the train (which we can't seem to contact from Canada - even though our operator has given us two options for country & city codes - neither works)... we have tried all of these suggested numbers: (also removing the 0 before the 9)... so it must not work from Canada?
011 212 22 090 20 30 40
011 212 22 90 20 30 40
011 212 20 90 20 30 40
011 212 21 90 20 30 40
011 212 209 90 20 30 40

In any event, we are now considering driving to Tangier.... any comments?
Thanks guys!!

Travel Tips for Marrakesh

Donkeys

by sue_stone

Marrakech was filled with weary looking donkeys. We saw them being used to transports goods to, and around the souqs, carting loads of sand and rubbish at construction sites, and hauling stinking loads of untreated leather at the tanneries.

Most of the donkeys looked a little worse for wear and I'm not sure they were being treated too well.... I saw one old man standing there whipping his donkey over and over again for no apparent reason. Thankfully there is a UK charity called The Society for the Protection of Animals Abroad (SPANA) who is doing some work in Morocco to try and improve the health and welfare of the donkeys.

Art works

by suvanki about Shops throughout Marrakesh

I bought this small oil painting on canvas of a Marrakesh street scene fom a shop near Dar Si Said- as a souvenir of my trip, it was easy to carry, lightweight, and reminded me of my wanderings around the medina.

Oil paintings of local life I think I haggled the price down to 100 dh

Dar Mimoun

by Jawnuta about Local Cuisine

We went to this place for the fancy and not cheap dinner....it was our "date evening".
We wanted to not only enjoy fantastic atmosphere, but we red good things about the food in that place.
Restaurant is open only at night, but you can pop in during the day to check the place, the menu and make the reservation.
We really enjoyed ourselves that evening. I had lamb tagine (sometimes I am not vegetarian) and it was FANTASTIC. Probably the best piece of meat I had in last 10 years.
Santo had vegetarian couscous and he loved as well.
We also had some soup and apetaisers, but I don't remember what.
We don't have photos of the dishes because it was very dark in there and quiet, and it didn't look like other costumers would apreciate our flash ;-)

El Badi Palace

by iwys

El Badi Place was constructed between 1578 and 1594 for Ahmed el Mansour, who ruled Morocco for 25 years. It was also known as "The Incomparable" because it was so magnificent. It was later destroyed and stripped of all its wealth by Sultan Moulay Ismail. Today there are still impressive ruins of this huge palace complex to be seen.

Admission: 10dh or 20dh with the minbar

Sa’adian Tombs

by keeweechic

The Saadian Tombs is very popular and you will find quite a crowd of tourists visiting. The tombs were opened to the public only in 1917. The walled complex comprises more than 100 tombs, all decorated in colourful mosaic tiles.

Open: Wed-Mon 08.30-11.45 and 14.30-17.45